Heater Failed

The_Eggman_1972

Reaction score
Whilst myself and my girlfreind were at work our aquarium heater failed in the on postion the result was a 36G tank full of boiled fish and shrimps some of which ive had for several years (i felt like crying to be honest all the effort and love put into it and worse of all having to explain it to my 7 year old daughter that Percy her 4 year old pleco had died :( ) poor little things where boiled so bad there skin was mush the water was off the scale on the thermometer and too hot to place hands in.I ran to the kitchen grabed a pan and started to bail the hot water out then added cold to lower the tempreture much to my amazement 2 small mollies survived and were hiding in a cave.These are doing well in a newly stocked tanked is this normal for heaters to fail in the on position and is it woth chasing the comapny up and complaining to them ?.

Sorry about your loss. I think a rename of your mollies is in order.

It might be worth to write/call the company.

I heard a few people in some threads a while back say it might be beneficial to have 2 heaters, each rated at half the wattage, instead of 1 heater. Personally, we have one heater per tank, but I think this option may appeal to you.

I heard a few people in some threads a while back say it might be beneficial to have 2 heaters, each rated at half the wattage, instead of 1 heater. Personally, we have one heater per tank, but I think this option may appeal to you.
Yeah think that is definatley my next plan of attack 2x heaters at half the wattage, as for age of heater just short of a year if i remember rightly.

Yeah think that is definatley my next plan of attack 2x heaters at half the wattage, as for age of heater just short of a year if i remember rightly.

If it is just short of a year, you have a case to claim against the manufacturer. the product is covered by law for twelve months, after purchase. and i would be inclined to settle for nothing less than 2 heaters in exchange for the bust one. Its well worth a word with trading standards, providing you have a receipt. it would also seem you have a claim under the "fit for the purpose" section of the sale of goods act, that claim would be against the LFS.

Sadly this seems to happen as much as the heater just dying, Its very sad to hear your story. let us know how it goes.

Contacting the manufacturer and offering to send them the faulty heater so they can investigate the cause of malfunction is also an option to consider.

i'm sorry to hear that, it must be gutting, we had one fail a few days back but failed the other way, tank was a bit chilly, thankfully we were able to keep the temp up by just keeping the room temp high, and as it's a big tank it takes a while to cool down. got another heater a day or so and haven't lost any fish.

i've heard of people with 2/3 heaters to a tank before, never done it myself but I can see the appeal.

i'm sorry to hear that, it must be gutting, we had one fail a few days back but failed the other way, tank was a bit chilly, thankfully we were able to keep the temp up by just keeping the room temp high, and as it's a big tank it takes a while to cool down. got another heater a day or so and haven't lost any fish.

i've heard of people with 2/3 heaters to a tank before, never done it myself but I can see the appeal.
Just found recepit 2 months out of warranty :(. GUTTED !!!.

awww sorry to hear that :-( sod's law aint it. I'd still send it to the manufacturers with a strongly worded letter of complaint though, worth a try.

Got my new tank 36g bow fronted stocked was settling before the accident current contents are 2 platy's 2x molies 1 albino catfish 1 red tailed shark and 1 guppy and the 2 baby molies i rescued.Looking good will try to post a pic.Any recomendations of what other tankmates to add?.

You still may have a claim under the Sales of Goods Act 1979 (as amended)

Whilst an above post mentions "fit for purpose" the Act also states an item must last "a reasonable length of time" the length of time is not defined, and has to be looked upon as a case by case basis - woul most people consider a heater to fail just after the 12 month warranty? if not you may have a claim - and under the Act, goods a covered for upto SIX years. This wouldn't be the case with a heater of course, and would be more used with goods such as cookers, freezers etc.

I would suggest a call to Trading Standards. Similar happened to me about a warranty with my laptop, it died 6 weeks out of warranty. Trading Standards said to write to them quoting 'sale of goods act 1979' which states that electrical goods should be of long lasting, effective and satisfactory. But call them anyway. They will advise better than me and cos of the letter i wrote, PC World are replacing my Laptop )after quoting that i had been in touch with Trading Standards)

At the end of the day, even a year out of warranty, heaters are not made to only last a year so therefore it isnt satisfactory, effective or long lasting.

Most reactions

Back