Having Problem Sourcing Ammonia!?

I happily went along with my set up but when trying to buy Pure Ammonia (as recommended) I hit a stone wall.

Not one Pharmacy or Hardware Store, for miles around, stocks it.

Perhaps they were just trying to protect me but I finally got the answer as to why this stuff just can't be bought...

Wikipedia gives a whole range of useful applications for ammonia but, unfortunately for those of us who just want to cycle our aquariums, there are Certain People (not Farmers) who like to mix it up with fertilizer and other bits and pieces to make it go

BOOM!!

So, that's why I can't buy it over the counter here in Ireland and it sounds like many other countries restrict it's sale, also.

But I can still, apparently, buy it in the UK. I wonder if they've worked that one out yet...?
huh.gif

Happy New Year, Everyone!!!

I happily went along with my set up but when trying to buy Pure Ammonia (as recommended) I hit a stone wall.

Not one Pharmacy or Hardware Store, for miles around, stocks it.

Perhaps they were just trying to protect me but I finally got the answer as to why this stuff just can't be bought...

Wikipedia gives a whole range of useful applications for ammonia but, unfortunately for those of us who just want to cycle our aquariums, there are Certain People (not Farmers) who like to mix it up with fertilizer and other bits and pieces to make it go

BOOM!!

So, that's why I can't buy it over the counter here in Ireland and it sounds like many other countries restrict it's sale, also.

But I can still, apparently, buy it in the UK. I wonder if they've worked that one out yet...?
huh.gif

Happy New Year, Everyone!!!

LMAO that really made me laugh, so sorry, i know i shouldnt with the stigma of ireland

That's cos you don't actually want pure ammonia. That implies you want a 100% concentration, which you'll only be able to buy from chemical suppliers. Household ammonia, the right stuff, is only about 9% ammonia. Pure is really the wrong term to use, but it's probably the best word to mean 'no soap or anything'.

Most reactions

Back