Having Problem Sourcing Ammonia!?

Reaction score
Has anyone got any idea of where I can get ammonia from in the UK? Ideally eBay or a website link? As can't start fishless cycle without it..

Ben

until you can source any you could use dead prawn, flake food etc, it all rots in the tank and would start the cycle

I agree. Of you can't source pure ammonia (check your local hardware store), then I would suggest using the MP method.

Homebase usually has it in the cleaning section. You can get it on Ebay, it's obviously more expensive but will literally last you forever. Plus you can always use it for cleaning...

does boots ship to australia? because I am having the same problem, i couldnt find any on ebay either :/

I must disagree Haych. Ammonia is on the list of things that will get you in trouble if you try to ship it without special packaging and permits. The problem is quite simple, if it leaks in a shipping container, it is a hazard to the people handling the packages. With the right packaging and permits, it gets routed where they are prepared to deal with a spill and the spill is much less likely to start with.

i can get ammonia peroxide from the plating shop where i work but i guess thats not good, or could i use that?

I must disagree Haych. Ammonia is on the list of things that will get you in trouble if you try to ship it without special packaging and permits. The problem is quite simple, if it leaks in a shipping container, it is a hazard to the people handling the packages. With the right packaging and permits, it gets routed where they are prepared to deal with a spill and the spill is much less likely to start with.

ooh i didnt know that :unsure: i didnt think it would be an issue (can tell i dont ship overseas much)

i can get ammonia peroxide from the plating shop where i work but i guess thats not good, or could i use that?

i'm not sure, i wouldnt have thought so as peroxide is bleach, so i wouldnt have thought it would be a good thing to use.

tbf though, i dont know about ammonia bottles anyway.

Hi, I really am NO EXPERT, but I wouln't be adding any sort of peroxide into an aquarium!

You can deffinately buy ammonia from Boots, you find it int the household/cleaning dept, normally tucked away in a corner, the ammonia is in a white bottle withj a red cap and is just called "Boots, Household Ammoinia", can't remember exactly but it cost me about £2 for 500ml. I only bought mine two weeks ago, so I can't see you having a problem.

hi there. i found some today in Homebase for £1.99. hope that helps hun x

Most reactions

Back