Hauling buckets.... there has to be a better way.... but what?

If you've ever seen the above ground cemeteries in New Orleans that's why the tombs are above ground. Don't want the bodies floating around. It's bad for tourism.

Agreed, bodies floating out of Lafayette Cemetery would not be appreciated at Commander's Palace! I going to miss New Orleans, my son lived in the Garden District for 6 years. No job, no money so he had to come home to western NY. He gave me a sign with the famous Tennessee Williams quote:

"America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland"
I agree.

I am glad you worked out a system. People tend to neglect tanks when maintenance issue like water changes are difficult. No more lifting 5 gallon buckets for me, I ran fresh water lines near my tank and I can dump water out a window.

Mark

Agreed, bodies floating out of Lafayette Cemetery would not be appreciated at Commander's Palace! I going to miss New Orleans, my son lived in the Garden District for 6 years. No job, no money so he had to come home to western NY. He gave me a sign with the famous Tennessee Williams quote:

"America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland"
I agree.

I am glad you worked out a system. People tend to neglect tanks when maintenance issue like water changes are difficult. No more lifting 5 gallon buckets for me, I ran fresh water lines near my tank and I can dump water out a window.

Mark
LOL what a great gift that sign was (no offense to anyone from Cleveland).

I must be a total freak because I love tank maintenance. Even with the bucket brigade. I look forward to it every week and it's so satisfying to see this healthy little ecosystem thriving due to your effort. I find the tanks to be so relaxing and enjoyable to watch. It's been such a fun hobby that my whole family has gotten involved in. I really do love it. Sore back, sloshy carpets and all.

So I have 2 20 gallon tanks soon to be 3. Luckily I have an amazing and strong husband who lugs buckets back and forth for me every week when it's water change time. I'm sure this will start to be less fun than it already is as the weeks, months and years go by. I've considered the python water change system but have a couple of things working against me for that option. First, my tanks are waaaaaaay across the other side of our house from where I'd be able to hook up to a faucet with the python hose. Even with the 100 foot hose option I'm not sure it would be feasible. Secondly, I have a high pH and really low GH so I soak my water change water for a day or two in 5 gallon containers with peat granules and mineralizer. I also add the water conditioner to the container in advance vs. putting in the tank as I'm doing the water changes. Short story long, I have not thought of any other way to do my water changes without hauling big containers of water back and forth to where the tanks are set up.

Has anyone found something like a rolling water container on a cart that they are using? Is there some other option I'm not thinking of? Any suggestions? My husband's aching back thanks you in advance.
I have a 55, a 20 and two 10's. I plumbed a water line and drain line up thru the floor behind the 55. I'm 85 so carrying buckets is out of the question.

I have a 55, a 20 and two 10's. I plumbed a water line and drain line up thru the floor behind the 55. I'm 85 so carrying buckets is out of the question.

I am 62 and carrying buckets is out of the question. Similiar to you, I ran some water lines but will use the window for a drain.

I saw that a lot of people here say they use pumps or hoses . . .
I've been considering switching to that for a long time - but how do you treat your water to remove chlorine, if it's going straight from the tap to the tank?

I've been considering switching to that for a long time - but how do you treat your water to remove chlorine, if it's going straight from the tap to the tank?
You add the dechlorinator to the tank as you begin filling it.

I use super clean 1g milk jugs.

I have a 5g, 10g, 20g long, and 29g tank. When doing water changes, I may have to fill them up and de chlorinate them, but it’s better than lugging around huge 5g buckets. The smaller 1g jugs also allows you control the flow of the water, so it doesn’t mess up your scape. (You can use your hand as a damn for the water, so doesn’t go straight to the sand)

I made this device using 1 1/2" pvc pipe, some flat pieces of pvc (bought at home depot) and some window screen material. I fill the pipe with charcoal and do a slow fill. I tested the chlorine with a pool tester and got 0 reading.

I have an calcium build up issue with my hot water tank so currently I am filling up a 20 gallon tank first, heat up the cold water and transfer it to the display tank

Mark
Charcoal filter.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back