Hardiest And Frailest

What do you guys think is the hardiest fish in the world? and the frailest?
Hardiest:
Zebra Daino's FTW!! they just dont want to die xD

Frailest:
Maybe Discus, from what I hear they are quite fragile

Great Whites are quite fragile in captivity, they die after a couple of weeks.

Gars are very hardy fish. Their swim bladder can act as a lung which enables the gar to breathe in stagnant water.

I had a gourami that I bought when I was 16, maybe 17. Put it in a tiny bowl with no heater, filter, pump etc, and to my knowlege it's still alive! (bearing mind I'm 21 now!) It just wont die!

I donated it to my sister, and she wont let me have it back now I have the facilities to keep it happy :sad:

I had a gourami that I bought when I was 16, maybe 17. Put it in a tiny bowl with no heater, filter, pump etc, and to my knowlege it's still alive! (bearing mind I'm 21 now!) It just wont die!

I donated it to my sister, and she wont let me have it back now I have the facilities to keep it happy :sad:

average lifespan of a gourami is 5-7 years so while you'rs is a decent age, it's just about expected. I had a pair of gourami's get to 7 before.

snakehead until they find the tiniest of gaps in your cover and then try to crawl across your carpet in the middle of the night!

For the frailest i'd say the Paradise threadfin, Polynemus paradiseus, ive tried to keep them twice and lost them both times for pretty much no reason, seems even if you fart near the tank they die :(

seems even if you fart near the tank they die
I'm sorry, but that is just hilarious. :lol:

Hardiest: Wild-type guppies, most live-bearers, most air-breathing fish, shrimp & snails(even though they're not fish)
Frailest: Dwarf gouramies. No matter what I do, they get DGI and die. I've given up on them.

Hardiest: Red Tail Catfish, considering the appalling completely inadequate conditions that so many people keep these poor tankbusting fish in, they are surprisingly very tough- i have seen RTC survive in conditions that would kill most fish for sure (like in tanks so small the fish could not turn around and in water which look like it had been obtained from a gross muddy swamp etc).
Frailest: hmm, well i haven't kept any really frail fish so far, but i would say that the fish i had the most issues keeping with oto's (and surprisingly) guppys (have rather weak immune systems, always carrying disease etc).

Most reactions

Back