Hand Sanitisers & Aquariums?

Woah woah woah woah. I read this thread not very closely but I feel Miss NC has received undeserving heat for her "parenting" skills. I ask you to look at her tanks and tell me how, if her fish tanks look like that, she isn't one of the best moms ever. The audacity.

I'm not sure if you're referring to my post or not, but if you are, please consider that sharing relevant experience which might hopefully be helpful is not the same as criticizing someone's parenting skills.

In another thread (https://www.fishforums.net/threads/two-dead-fish-that-werent.465148/)
I recently posted about how my fish suffered, and two nearly died, before I noticed that their filters were clogged. Someone asked if I'm using sponge prefilters. I did not take that as criticism. In my reply I expressly invited suggestions for how to prevent a recurrence. Isn't that what these forums are for?

I'm not sure if you're referring to my post or not, but if you are, please consider that sharing relevant experience which might hopefully be helpful is not the same as criticizing someone's parenting skills.

In another thread (https://www.fishforums.net/threads/two-dead-fish-that-werent.465148/)
I recently posted about how my fish suffered, and two nearly died, before I noticed that their filters were clogged. Someone asked if I'm using sponge prefilters. I did not take that as criticism. In my reply I expressly invited suggestions for how to prevent a recurrence. Isn't that what these forums are for?
Hehe, no it wasn't towards you, or really anyone. I was just trying to say, that an accident doesn't reflect her parenting skills. Now that I say it out loud I can see it was probably wasn't necessary ;).

It wasn't me!?

I said:
Not telling you how to raise your kids (cause I am a kid, lol), but my parents make us (siblings and me) wash our hands every single time we come back from out in public, especially now that COVID-19 has taken off.

Also a lid (tight fitting) will help stop him from reaching in there in the future. :)
I thought that was very polite. :oops:

Besides, I don't feel that anyone on here has been giving criticism about raising her children. We are all just trying to help and give suggestions.

Heyyyy I'm not offended by the parenting comments. Accidents happen, kids are a wild card, and nothing said here was said rudely or condescendingly regarding my kid. I'm all good :)
Its true, hes got impulse issues, there's things I could have done better, and things to work on in the future.

It is a major concern.

I'm losing my whole 55 gallon because of this. I've already lost 4 fish this morning and the rest are not well.

I'm disposing everything and everyone has been removed from the tank.

Its all gone.

Tell me its not a concern
View attachment 120298View attachment 120299

This is a huge emotional hit and financial hit.

Y'all with kids, get on them about this issue.
So sorry to see this happen to you. This makes me much more aware of washing my hands really good before putting them in my aquarium.

Accidents happen, kids are a wild card

This is the most accurate sentence I’ve seen so far in this thread! :lol:

Kid with or without adhd or autism or any other label you wish to mention, kids are kids and they will ALWAYS do something one way or another irrespective of parenting skills.

If you think back to YOUR childhood, there will be episodes where you did things out of impulse, not meant badly and just one of those thing and had consequences where you felt badly, but that’s all part and parcel of growing up.

No criticism towards anybody at all that I’ve seen on this thread, just observations.

Hand sanitisers is one of those things that are so easily forgotten about by both child and adult that mistakes are easily made.

It’s just unfortunate that fish are so badly affected by this health and safety measure of hand sanitiser that’s meant well for everyone.

Last edited:
This is the most accurate sentence I’ve seen so far in this thread! :lol:

Kid with or with adhd or autism or any other label you wish to mention, kids are kids and they will ALWAYS do something one way or another irrespective of parenting skills.

If you think back to YOUR childhood, there will be episodes where you did things out of impulse, not meant badly and just one of those thing and had consequences where you felt badly, but that’s all part and parcel of growing up.

No criticism towards anybody at all that I’ve seen on this thread, just observations.

Hand sanitisers is one of those things that are so easily forgotten about by both child and adult that mistakes are easily made.

It’s just unfortunate that fish are so badly affected by this health and safety measure of hand sanitiser that’s meant well for everyone.
It is. And its even more unfortunate others have been victims of this too.

It is a major concern.
I'm losing my whole 55 gallon because of this. I've already lost 4 fish this morning and the rest are not well.
I'm disposing everything and everyone has been removed from the tank.
Its all gone.
Tell me its not a concern
This is a huge emotional hit and financial hit.
Y'all with kids, get on them about this issue.

How bad it may be, I don't believe that is because of alcohol because that would be much less.
Some drunk fish is all you would see and only that if you squirted the whole bottle in there. (higher % alcohol would be needed)
I have been using hand soap since I entered the hobby and never changed a thing.
Just rinse it of normally and never had a problem.

Hand soap, not the covid-19 alla ka kill everything stuff,,, remember that.

How bad it may be, I don't believe that is because of alcohol because that would be much less.
Some drunk fish is all you would see and only that if you squirted the whole bottle in there. (higher % alcohol would be needed)
I have been using hand soap since I entered the hobby and never changed a thing.
Just rinse it of normally and never had a problem.

Hand soap, not the covid-19 alla ka kill everything stuff,,, remember that.
Its not the alcohol thats the problem if you read through this thread.

Exactly and if you buy normal soap you wil never have that problem again because they are based on alcohol.
So think twice when buying, next time?
Again, read the thread.

It was not store bought sanitizer used at home.

1, it was my KID who did this.

2, it was the sanitizers the STORES make you use upon entry WHILE OUT SHOPPING.

I use dawn dish soap to wash my hands at home lol

Again, read the thread.

It was not store bought sanitizer used at home.

1, it was my KID who did this.

2, it was the sanitizers the STORES make you use upon entry WHILE OUT SHOPPING.

I use dawn dish soap to wash my hands at home lol

Dish soap, the worse you can do...
Not so sure if it was the kids or you using dish soap, they do the same.
So they ain't cleaning their hands at home, buy a top? and make sure you kids can't open it?
Again soap or whatever is not the cause, you are.

Exactly and if you buy normal soap you wil never have that problem again because they are based on alcohol.
So think twice when buying, next time?
It's not alcohol that's the problem but the fact that there are alternative biocides used in some brands of sanitisers, the most common one being extremely toxic to aquatic life. The main ingredient in Purell, probably the most recognisable brand, is this particular chemical.
The warning is to wash your hands after using sanitisers out and about, though even with that you can't guard against every scenario.

Dish soap, the worse you can do...
Not so sure if it was the kids or you using dish soap, they do the same.
So they ain't cleaning their hands at home, buy a top? and make sure you kids can't open it?
Again soap or whatever is not the cause, you are.
"How to win friends...... "

Most reactions

Back