Guppy

RED1958

Reaction score
Hello, although I grew up caring for fish and worked in a pet shop have forgotten almost everything I ever knew, I got a 36 gal tank just before Christmas, so far I added 3 zebras and 3 platinum? zebras, a week later I added 3 guppies, one male two females and my cory cat that I have had for years in a 10 gal tank. after adding the guppies about three day later I saw a fry in the tank, I do not know if he was put in the bag accidently or if one of the girls had it. the fry seems to be missing now, or hiding really well but one of the females seems really stressed, her tail fin looks clamped and the male was picking at her non stop. I got a breeder tank and hung it in the tank and put her in there with a plant. She did eat the food I put in but still clamped. After searching the internet I am wondering am I stressing her more by isolating her? Should I let her back into the tank? As far as I could tell none of the zebras were bothering her, just the male guppy. I have no test kits yet and due to weather have not been able to take a sample to the store for testing. Thank you in advance for any help.

Red

P.S they are Petsmart fish.

Hello, although I grew up caring for fish and worked in a pet shop have forgotten almost everything I ever knew, I got a 36 gal tank just before Christmas, so far I added 3 zebras and 3 platinum? zebras, a week later I added 3 guppies, one male two females and my cory cat that I have had for years in a 10 gal tank. after adding the guppies about three day later I saw a fry in the tank, I do not know if he was put in the bag accidently or if one of the girls had it. the fry seems to be missing now, or hiding really well but one of the females seems really stressed, her tail fin looks clamped and the male was picking at her non stop. I got a breeder tank and hung it in the tank and put her in there with a plant. She did eat the food I put in but still clamped. After searching the internet I am wondering am I stressing her more by isolating her? Should I let her back into the tank? As far as I could tell none of the zebras were bothering her, just the male guppy. I have no test kits yet and due to weather have not been able to take a sample to the store for testing. Thank you in advance for any help.

Red

Ok so I'm not sure about the clamped fins, she could be stressed, but I picked up that you have a 10 gallon? DO you still have that tank. Also what cory is it? Corys do well in groups of 6 and usually don't do well singly.

Also what is the tank dimensions length x width x height and your GH and pH?

I would take her out of the breeder, Reason being is you said you have only had the fish a short time so she was getting used to her new enviroment, Then moving her again in such a short time will make her stress badly & she will abort her birth. Chances of her having more fry while in a bit of a stressed state is slim but not impossible.
I would just leave the fry you spotted to nature, There will be more chances to catch some.
If it makes it without getting eating thats a bonus. It may well of found somewhere to hide. As for the male harassing the female(s) that is perfectly normal behaviour. Its just what they do.
If you have Zebras.....Danios i presume?
They will eat the fry no doubt, Zebras are really quick & eat anything that moves. Plus get a few more Corys, they do best in a group. I have had a Cory on its own before but only as its tank mates died
Not sure about the clamped tail fin but they do strange body movements while birthing. Mine like to lay head down against the filter box with backside in the air, then go into a limp body whilst dropping the fry

Last edited:

Red

water quality? ph kh gh ammonia nitirite nitrate
petsmart fish have no problem it depends on your store. my petsmart is literally so good. all my fish and some of my plants are from there. tank and heater too

I would take her out of the breeder, Reason being is you said you have only had the fish a short time so she was getting used to her new enviroment, Then moving her again in such a short time will make her stress badly & she will abort her birth. Chances of her having more fry while in a bit of a stressed state is slim but not impossible.
I would just leave the fry you spotted to nature, There will be more chances to catch some.
If it makes it without getting eating thats a bonus. It may well of found somewhere to hide. As for the male harassing the female(s) that is perfectly normal behaviour. Its just what they do.
They will eat the fry no doubt, Zebras are really quick & eat anything that moves. Plus get a few more Corys, they do best in a group. I have had a Cory on its own before but only as its tank mates died
Not sure about the clamped tail fin but they do strange body movements while birthing. Mine like to lay head down against the filter box with backside in the air, then go into a limp body whilst dropping the fry
I probably did not make it clear, sorry, the female in question is not pregnant, if she was pregnant from the store I did not notice and saw only that one little fry. But I think the fry was in the fish store and was caught in the net with the three fish I bought.

Ok so I'm not sure about the clamped fins, she could be stressed, but I picked up that you have a 10 gallon? DO you still have that tank. Also what cory is it? Corys do well in groups of 6 and usually don't do well singly.

Also what is the tank dimensions length x width x height and your GH and pH?
I do still have the 10 gal but it is not clean, the filter stopped working which is why I bought a new tank. The cory is an albino, he is maybe 3 years old, was with another albino cory for about a year before it died, he has been alone ever since until I moved him to the guppy/zebra tank. He is very active now. Is that normal?

I will release her back. Yes they are Danios. The other guppy is pregnant so I am watching her closely so I can put her in the breeder as soon as she shows signs of labor. I did get some fake floating grass just in case I miss the birth maybe they will have a better chance. Thank you for your help.

I probably did not make it clear, sorry, the female in question is not pregnant, if she was pregnant from the store I did not notice and saw only that one little fry. But I think the fry was in the fish store and was caught in the net with the three fish I bought.
I found the little guy, put him in the breeder tank. I am not sure if it is even a guppy. I will try to get a picture.

If by any chance she has fry in the tank with the Danios you will never find any. They will be eaten as they are coming out. The breeder box stresses them out a lot more, ive done it myself & only had 3 or 4 fry each time, as they abort the birth until conditions improve. I am not saying dont do it, I am simply saying a dedicated breeding tank is easier.
I set up an old tank i had, dropped in some fake plants and put my pregnant females in over 3 consecutive weeks, Then collected the fry during water changes & then put the fry in a small breeder box, so i can monitor the feeding better & as more and more fry appeared i then put my females in 1 of my main tanks & left all the fry in the breeding tank until they can go in the main or to LFS, I
have done this a few times now & have at the moment 50ish fry growing out.
I got rid of about 100 to a friend a few weeks ago, So just shows you the difference from a breeder box

It more than likely is a Guppy as the Danios are egglayers & they will eat the eggs before hatch, Also if you have not had the guppys long they would of been pregnant in the store so maybe the fry was from the store. If you got it and its in a breeder try feeding it really small crushed flake food

Guppy fry but these are almost a week old now

Attachments

• 20210105_183921.jpg
    20210105_183921.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 56
Guppy fry but these are almost a week old now
yes my fry looks like these so I guess it is a guppy. It was hanging out at the top of tank when i first saw it but when I could not longer see it there I found it hanging out by the corycat house. It might be old enough to live with the others but I think I will let it get a bit larger. I ordered some first bites when I first saw it but it does seem to like the crushed flakes better.

I do still have the 10 gal but it is not clean, the filter stopped working which is why I bought a new tank. The cory is an albino, he is maybe 3 years old, was with another albino cory for about a year before it died, he has been alone ever since until I moved him to the guppy/zebra tank. He is very active now. Is that normal?
Oh ok I see. I think you could get away with 2 more albino corys. As @jonny-5 said, the danios will eat the baby guppies relatively quickly.

If they are getting a bit of food everyday they will grow to a certain size in a few weeks & the other fish will stop trying to eat it.
As you say its a single fry it may well survive on its own. Ive just shipped my Zebra Danios out cos i was getting fed up with them being greedy, they wouldnt let the other fish eat & annoying the Corys
Good luck with it, You will have plenty more soon enough ?

Most reactions

Back