Guppy pregnant

It would appear you don't get your water from Yorkshire Water. What is the company named on your water bill?

The tester container says mg/l and that is usually mg/l calcium carbonate aka ppm.
25 ppm is very soft water, it converts to just over 1 dH.

I have removed the images for Yorkshire Water as they contain your postcode.

That's what's been concerning me. Everything so far does point to very soft water. it's just that i don't really trust test strips. And if the instructions have been saying the hardness which appears to be 25 ppm is "a bit hard" is totally misleading.
That's why I want to get an accurate figure.

Thanks for removing pics ,, I do get my water from Yorkshire water ,, I live in bradford westyorkshire ,, I cant understand why it is saying that ..
I'm totally confused ,, do u think o should make the water harder and if so how please .

Thanks for removing pics ,, I do get my water from Yorkshire water ,, I live in bradford westyorkshire ,, I cant understand why it is saying that ..
I'm totally confused ,, do u think o should make the water harder and if so how please .
Its better not to rise pH

We have worked out via pm that the water hardness really is around 30 ppm, which is very soft (between 1 and 2dH)

Do you only have guppies and swordtails or are there any other fish? If that's all you have, you can make the water harder for them by adding Rift Lake Salts. You would need to experiment with a bucket of water to find out how much of the salts you need to add to get the hardness over 200 ppm. Does your test strip measure that high? I know some only go as high as 180 ppm.
Once you have worked out how much of the salts give the right hardness in the bucket of water, you would need to add exactly the same amount to every bucketful at every water change.

We have worked out via pm that the water hardness really is around 30 ppm, which is very soft (between 1 and 2dH)

Do you only have guppies and swordtails or are there any other fish? If that's all you have, you can make the water harder for them by adding Rift Lake Salts. You would need to experiment with a bucket of water to find out how much of the salts you need to add to get the hardness over 200 ppm. Does your test strip measure that high? I know some only go as high as 180 ppm.
Once you have worked out how much of the salts give the right hardness in the bucket of water, you would need to add exactly the same amount to every bucketful at every water change.
I have a pleco and 2 dwarf frogs and a couple of patties

The plec might be able to manage, I'm not that well up on plecs. The platies will be fine as they too need hard water.

But frogs shouldn't really be kept in a tank with fish at all. I don't suppose there's any chance of a second, 25-ish litre tank for them?

The plec might be able to manage, I'm not that well up on plecs. The platies will be fine as they too need hard water.

But frogs shouldn't really be kept in a tank with fish at all. I don't suppose there's any chance of a second, 25-ish litre tank for them?
I do have another 30l tank ,, but have 19 and 20 day old fry in there,, I do intend to move the frogs once they fry grow big enough to move to tank and donate some to my brother ,, I am planning on buying another tank as will need one for dry or sick fish ,, so will aqurium salt harden the water x

I do have another 30l tank ,, but have 19 and 20 day old fry in there,, I do intend to move the frogs once they fry grow big enough to move to tank and donate some to my brother ,, I am planning on buying another tank as will need one for dry or sick fish ,, so will aqurium salt harden the water x
Fry not dry lol

Thankyou, can u recommend any good brands plz

I just don't know which one. @essjay will say which one when she's on :lol:

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
To be honest, your guess is a good as mine :blush: I have soft water and keep soft water fish.

Those two in Salty's links - the second one says it only increases GH; the first increases KH and pH. They suggest using both together. But I'd wait until someone who has used these products to say which is best.

Most reactions

Back