Guppy issues? Pictures inc.

Happening in my tank right now. One died overnight as you know now the attentions turned on his brother. If the chief culprit hasnt calmed down by the time MrsLurch gets back from shops I’m off out to buy an isolation cell for him.
The photo isn't java fern, it might be vallisneria.

Thanks.

Happening in my tank right now. One died overnight as you know now the attentions turned on his brother. If the chief culprit hasnt calmed down by the time MrsLurch gets back from shops I’m off out to buy an isolation cell for him.

I'm going to see what the situation is once my plants have come, (Should be tomorrow) if it's still happening in a few days then I'll give the bully to someone I know who's got a 150l tank.

The filter should be left alone for the first six weeks to allow the filter bacteria to settle in. Once it has been running about 6 weeks with fish in the tank, it should be cleaned at least once a month with every 2 weeks being better. There will be brown goo building up in there, this is fish poo, uneaten food, bits of dead plant etc which will break down to ammonia. The filter bacteria will convert this ammonia though nitrite to nitrate, and not cleaning the filter regularly is one of the causes of high nitrate in the tank.
As long as the media is cleaned in old tank water taken out during a water change and is gently squeezed or swooshed around, the bacteria colonies are quite safe. It will never look like new again so it should not be be scrubbed to try and make it look like new.

If the filter has only carbon filled cartridges, they should not be changed as the instructions will say or you'll throw away all the bacteria on them. If you have sponges, these should not be changed until they fall apart.

When the plants come tomorrow, is it best to put them in tank while the fish are in their or should I put some tank water and the fish in a bucket while I do it?

It depends how much mess you will make. Planting plants often disturbs mess in the substrate. My plants are all attached to wood or floating, so I don't know much about plants rooted in the substrate. But unless other members say to leave the fish in the tank, I would put them in a bucket while you are doing the planting, and if it does make a mess do a big water change after planting before the fish go back in.

Don't forget to cover the bucket with the fish in as they could jump out. Even something like a towel over the bucket is enough.

Thank you.

I have a Aqua-flow 200, just looking at the user manual now and it says

"The dual-action filter contains activated carbon clean the filter cartridge every 1-2 weeks by rinsing it with clean tap water.

Replace the filter cartridge monthly, the carbon in the filter cartridge is no longer effective after it becomes fully saturated."

It also recommends to replace the standard one with the Crystal Clear filter cartridge that is meant to remove all coloration and ammonia and helps prevent Nitrate and phosphates.

Should I do that?

Last edited:
Rinsing under tap water is not a good idea, especially with a new tank and filter as the bacteria are still settling in. Chlorine or chloramine in the tap water is there to kill bacteria - and it will kill filter bacteria as well as 'bad' bacteria.

Yes, carbon does become saturated, but we don't actually need to use carbon as large weekly water changed do the same job. (I haven't used it for years, since I discovered this). But carbon can still be used as a home for the bacteria even if it is saturated with organic chemicals.

Many people who have only carbon cartridges modify the filter by cutting open the bag and throwing the carbon away, then cuttin a piece of filter sponge to the same shape, and putting that along with the bag part of the cartridge (which has a lot of bacteria in it) back into the filter.

Ok thank you.

I'll update tomorrow once I've put plants in and hopeing the API master kit will be here soon, so can get an accurate test of the water.

Rinsing under tap water is not a good idea, especially with a new tank and filter as the bacteria are still settling in. Chlorine or chloramine in the tap water is there to kill bacteria - and it will kill filter bacteria as well as 'bad' bacteria.

Yes, carbon does become saturated, but we don't actually need to use carbon as large weekly water changed do the same job. (I haven't used it for years, since I discovered this). But carbon can still be used as a home for the bacteria even if it is saturated with organic chemicals.

Many people who have only carbon cartridges modify the filter by cutting open the bag and throwing the carbon away, then cuttin a piece of filter sponge to the same shape, and putting that along with the bag part of the cartridge (which has a lot of bacteria in it) back into the filter.
Hmmm. I was gonna ask something along these lines in a couple of weeks. Cheers essjay

Plants have come, bit smaller than I thought they would be... Not sure how tall they'll grow.

Still awaiting the floating plants.

IMG_20200811_105236.jpg

Update: Since I've put the plants in, the bullying has redused massively and the fish that kept staying in the corner is now always swimming around.

Still got more plants to put in when they come and will post water results on here when the kit turns up.

Once again thank you for all the help, you have made my fish happy :fish:

It also recommends to replace the standard one with the Crystal Clear filter cartridge that is meant to remove all coloration and ammonia and helps prevent Nitrate and phosphates.
I missed this earlier.
If the cartridge removes ammonia, it sounds as though it has zeolite or something similar inside. The use of this cartridge will starve the filter bacteria. It helps prevent nitrate by removing the ammonia so it can't be turned into nitrate. It sounds as though it also contains something to remove phosphate. I wouldn't use it.

I had assumed that the filter had those flat cartridges made of a bag of a filter wool type fabric filled with carbon and on a plastic frame. I have just googled your filter and realised it's not that type.
The dual action cartridge looks more like a sponge and the diagram in the manual seems to show the sponge has a hollow centre filled with carbon granules. Is this what it actually looks like? If it is, the way to 'improve' it is to remove the carbon - makea slit in the sponge if necessary - and fill the holes with more sponge, any make cut to fit. You could also cut the sponge across the middle side to side to remove the carbon and fit sponge instead.
My apologies for misleading you earlier.

I missed this earlier.
If the cartridge removes ammonia, it sounds as though it has zeolite or something similar inside. The use of this cartridge will starve the filter bacteria. It helps prevent nitrate by removing the ammonia so it can't be turned into nitrate. It sounds as though it also contains something to remove phosphate. I wouldn't use it.

I had assumed that the filter had those flat cartridges made of a bag of a filter wool type fabric filled with carbon and on a plastic frame. I have just googled your filter and realised it's not that type.
The dual action cartridge looks more like a sponge and the diagram in the manual seems to show the sponge has a hollow centre filled with carbon granules. Is this what it actually looks like? If it is, the way to 'improve' it is to remove the carbon - makea slit in the sponge if necessary - and fill the holes with more sponge, any make cut to fit. You could also cut the sponge across the middle side to side to remove the carbon and fit sponge instead.
My apologies for misleading you earlier.

You have nothing to appologise for.

I'll have a look at it tomorrow and maybe post a picture too.

Still awaiting my delivery for rest of plants and API master test kit :/ So hope they come tomorrow.

I haven't seen one bit of bullying today in my tank, I'm amazed at how much live plants can make and regret going for fake ones.

I've just seen my my fishtank is 28c (normaly 25c) because of the heat outside, do I need to do something or will everything be okay?

Most reactions

Back