Guppy issues? Pictures inc.

You need an ammonia tester as soon as possible. Liquid testers are usually more reliable than strip testers. Most of us use the API master test kit.

Fish excrete ammonia, which is poisonous to them. Ammonia eating bacteria will grow in the tank, but it takes a few weeks. Until there are enough of them, ammonia will build up in the water. Once these bacteria start to grow they turn the ammonia into nitrite, which is also poisonous to fish. A second type of bacteria grows in the tank which eats nitrite and turns it into nitrate, but again these second bacteria take a few weeks to grow and until there are enough of them nitrite builds up in the water.
Ammonia appears first. For a few weeks you will have no nitrite, just ammonia. Then nitrite will appear and ammonia will go up slower and slower as more ammonia eating bacteria grow till it stays at zero. But nitrite will continue to go up until the nitrite eaters start to grow, then that too will slow down until it finally stays at zero.

You are doing what is called a fish-in cycle and the way to keep the fish safe is by doing water changes to remove the ammonia, and then the nitrite. Ideally, test every day and do a water change whenever there is a reading above zero for ammonia and/or nitrite.

Other things you can do include:
Feed the fish only once every 3 days. The less food they are fed, the less ammonia they produce. Fish will not come to harm if they are fed once every 3 days.
Get some Tetra Safe Start. This is a bottled bacteria product, the one with the best reputation.
Get some live plants. These use ammonia as fertiliser and will remove a lot of ammonia from the water. Floating plants are very good for this - water sprite, Amazon frogbit, even elodea or hornwort stems floating on the surface.

Hi,

I've done the tank change has said above.

Tank size: 40L
pH: 7.5
ammonia: (Waiting for test kit to come)
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 0
kH: 120
gH: 180
tank temp: 25c
Don't think the test are that accurate tbh.

Fish:
3x Guppy
8 X Please look at photo, can't remember the name. View attachment 112156View attachment 112157

All the stuff in picture below was put in tank on first day, gravel was cleaned and log was left in a bucket for few days.
View attachment 112158

Aqua-flow 200
Betta Thermal Compact Submersible Heater

Today was first water change.

The guy at shop didn't show me water test, he just said to add up to 10 and then after two weeks can bring some water too test and then after that can add more. They also said you can have has many fish in a tank as I want, along has water change is done more often.... Completely different from what I've heard on here.

Please don’t beat yourself up for this it’s far from your fault. Majority of pet shop employees don’t know what they’re talking about half of the time. Just follow what has been advised from essjay and keep on asking questions if you are not sure hun. Your tank looks lovely, a background picture will help too. GL

Thanks everyone.

I'm still haveing issues with the gold colour fish keep chasing the black fish (I think this is why one of them stays out the way) but the other black fish doesn't stand for it, it dose it back.

The gold colour one has different tail to the other two, so are we sure they are all males?

I am going to get the gold one moved to a friend's tank, because don't wanna lose fish(s) over a bully :(

Because I've already got fish in the tank, I want cause them any harm buy putting live plants in instead will I?

The ammonia test kit should be here early next week.

Got some photos of them again
IMG_20200809_134148.jpgIMG_20200809_134111.jpgIMG_20200809_134033.jpg

Thanks everyone.

I'm still haveing issues with the gold colour fish keep chasing the black fish (I think this is why one of them stays out the way) but the other black fish doesn't stand for it, it dose it back.

The gold colour one has different tail to the other two, so are we sure they are all males?

I am going to get the gold one moved to a friend's tank, because don't wanna lose fish(s) over a bully :(

Because I've already got fish in the tank, I want cause them any harm buy putting live plants in instead will I?

The ammonia test kit should be here early next week.
Yes, sure that they're all males. You don't go by tail shape with guppies, there are many different tail shapes, and while females tend to be less fancy colour wise than males, it's not always the case. The way to be sure is checking the anal fin. Males have a pointy shape called the gonopodium, and it's distinctly male, used in breeding. The fin in a female is fan shaped.
This image shows mollies, but the anal fin difference is the same in guppies/mollies/platies
molly-guppy-fin-diagram.jpg

And this photo shows how similar a male and female fancy guppy can look to each other, you have to really check the anal fin to be sure which is which! There are other minor differences that can help an experienced hobbyist tell if a juvenile that hasn't really developed a gonopodium yet is male or female, but in your case since your guppies are full grown, you can clearly see the gonopodium which is definitive.
guppy-fish-male-female-photo.jpg

It was also very bad form for the shop to tell you that you can add as many fish as you like, that would be cruel to many species, even if you did hourly water changes, and you'd soon get sick of the tank if you needed to daily water changes forever. I quite like to do water changes, but I don't want to do it daily unless I have to.

Live plants won't do any harm at all, they can only benefit the tank. Some fast growing stem plants like elodea or hornwort would help a lot by taking up the ammonia the fish are producing.

Keep up with the water changes and salt treatment for the next fortnight as @Colin_T suggested. He's very knowledgeable about fish diseases and cycling tanks, it's always wise to follow his advice.

As for the chasing/bullying, it happens sometimes, even in male only tanks. There's some personality differences, some are more driven to breed, and will harass and chase another male, while plenty are more mellow. Having lots of plants and things like driftwood that can break lines of sight and give hiding places can help, but even then, you'll get the odd one that is relentless, and needs to be removed. Have had it happen before where 30 young males in a grow out tank were all fine together, except for one. He was a relentless chaser, and I was relieved when I could finally take him to the store.

Thank you.

Any advice on how many plants I should buy for my size tank?

Also because I've got gravel and not sand, I take it it's still okay?

Also is Duck Weed okay too?

Last edited:
I've done a short video of the gold fish chaseing the black fish. He seems to be doing it less now though.

Thank you.

Any advice on how many plants I should buy for my size tank?

Also because I've got gravel and not sand, I take it it's still okay?

Also is Duck Weed okay too?
Can't really recommend how many plants to get, it depends on how dense you want the planting, what size and kind of plants you get, ya know? I order 50 stems at a time for a 15 gallon, but I like it heavily planted, but if you ordered 50 large plants, you probably couldn't cram them all in there. Maybe try to get a couple of reasonably large ones, and 3-4 smaller ones for now, you can always add to it if you want more. A couple of taller ones and some low down cover might help break up the chasing. See how they're swimming around in the open, and there's no where to really hide? With a bunch of plants in there, one can hide, and the chaser will sometimes lose sight of them and forget about them for a while.

Gravel is fine, grew my plants in gravel :) You can buy root tabs to stick in the gravel to help any root feeding plants flourish, and it works just fine.

Duckweed - yes it works to help reduce ammonia and nitrates, and some kind of floating plants are great for fish tanks, most fish appreciate the sense of shade and cover they provide. Just a couple of caveats;
1. Be careful about pinching any from a pond in the wild, there are some nasty creepy crawlies and diseases out there, some of which are hazardous to fish.
2.I and a few other fish keepers loathe duckweed, since it's the messiest floating plant, and you can never get rid of it once you have it. You could try skimming it off every day, and some tiny dried out speck will be hidden under the rim or on a net, and it will be back with a vengeance. So most prefer a floating plant like water lettuce, frogbit, red root floaters, or pretty much any other floating plant other than duckweed ;)

I've orded;
6 long beautiful reed like plant. Live Tropical Aquarium Fish Tank Plants. Java.

2x Amazon Frogbit

1x Ludwigia sp. Mini Super Red Live Aquarium Plants

5g Christmas Moss

That okay?

6 long beautiful reed like plant. Live Tropical Aquarium Fish Tank Plants. Java.
Do you mean java fern? Just to warn you, this needs to be grown attached to decor rather than planted in the substrate. The leaves grow from a rhizome which will rot if it's under the substrate. I have both the 'windelov' and 'narrow leaf' varieties.

Not sure, just says long beautiful reed like plant. Live Tropical Aquarium Fish Tank Plants. Java.

Not sure if allowed to link or not, so taken screen shot of the image from the seller.
Screenshot_2020-08-10-14-27-09-260_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

As for the chasing/bullying, it happens sometimes, even in male only tanks. There's some personality differences, some are more driven to breed, and will harass and chase another male, while plenty are more mellow. Having lots of plants and things like driftwood that can break lines of sight and give hiding places can help, but even then, you'll get the odd one that is relentless, and needs to be removed. Have had it happen before where 30 young males in a grow out tank were all fine together, except for one. He was a relentless chaser, and I was relieved when I could finally take him to the store.
Happening in my tank right now. One died overnight as you know now the attentions turned on his brother. If the chief culprit hasnt calmed down by the time MrsLurch gets back from shops I’m off out to buy an isolation cell for him.

Most reactions

Back