Guppy issues? Pictures inc.

letssetup

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to keeping tropical fish, mine have always been cold water fish, so appologise if the following questions sound stupid.

So, my first question is about this Guppy. It was always swimming around, however in the last couple of days it will just stay in a corner, like it is here next to filter. It will come out for food but other than that, just stays hidden.

I've read about them sometimes doing this when pregnant, could this be the case? I've got 3 Guppys.
IMG_20200808_111925.jpg
IMG_20200808_111923.jpg

My final question is regarding the other two that I've got, the gold one will keep chasing the black one. Then sometimes it's the other way round, but they are like it 80% of the time.

Is this normal or do they need separating?
IMG_20200808_111944.jpg

The one that's hiding behind the filter looks to be a male, but need a clearer shot with him/her in focus to be able to tell for sure. The orange one looks to be male but also need a better shot, the dark one is definitely male.

Get those better photos so we can be sure of sexes, since one female with two males would be in for a bad time. If it's an all male tank (or even a colony tank with more than one male) or it's a male courting a female, some chasing is normal. If the chasing is relentless though and fish are getting stressed, then it needs to be fixed.

The one hiding by the filter isn't likely to be there because it's gravid. For one, I think it's a male, and for two, even gravid females don't tend to hide away until they're in labour, by which time they're huge and round and unmistakably gravid. Hiding in a corner by the filter usually indicates something else is wrong, often the water quality.

Your tank looks very new, how long has it been running and what are the water test results?

The one that's hiding behind the filter looks to be a male, but need a clearer shot with him/her in focus to be able to tell for sure. The orange one looks to be male but also need a better shot, the dark one is definitely male.

Get those better photos so we can be sure of sexes, since one female with two males would be in for a bad time. If it's an all male tank (or even a colony tank with more than one male) or it's a male courting a female, some chasing is normal. If the chasing is relentless though and fish are getting stressed, then it needs to be fixed.

The one hiding by the filter isn't likely to be there because it's gravid. For one, I think it's a male, and for two, even gravid females don't tend to hide away until they're in labour, by which time they're huge and round and unmistakably gravid. Hiding in a corner by the filter usually indicates something else is wrong, often the water quality.

Your tank looks very new, how long has it been running and what are the water test results?

Thank you for quick reply.

The tank had been running for 4 days before fish were added.

The tank had Seachem Prime added on day 1 and then Seachem Stability added for 7 days. (5ml first day then 1ml for last 6)

After the 4 days I taken a water sample with me too the shop too be tested and they said the results are suitable for up to 10 fish. Then leave it for 2 weeks, bring more water in before addeding more.

I've got a test kit but it only test pH, NO2, NO3, KH and GH. I'll test it soon and post results.

Here is the best photos I can get of the other two. I'll get some of the hidden one soon and post them.

IMG_20200808_115428.jpg
IMG_20200808_115403.jpg
IMG_20200808_115329.jpg
IMG_20200808_115158.jpg
IMG_20200808_115109.jpg
IMG_20200808_115033.jpg

Here is the obey staying in corner. I'm struggling to get any photos better than that, it's in a hard ace to reach.

IMG_20200808_121527.jpg
IMG_20200808_121521.jpg
IMG_20200808_120928.jpg
IMG_20200808_120905.jpg

all three are males. Gonna need the water test results, you can't cycle a tank in a week-ten days without seeding it and/or a lot of live plants, you got some bad advice from your fish store. They're all males so no breeding going on, but the water test results might tell us why one is hiding.

Yep, your tank isn't fully cycled, the nitrite shouldn't be above zero, and the nitrates are also too high. Before doing anything else, do a 75% water change, giving the substrate a good gravel clean. Make sure to refill the tank with clean, conditioned water that has been temperature matched to the tank water.

Then please come back here and answer these questions, will help us a lot to have some more details like tank size and stocking.

Tank size:
pH:
ammonia:
nitrite:
nitrate:
kH:
gH:
tank temp:

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):

Volume and Frequency of water changes:

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:

Tank inhabitants:

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):

Exposure to chemicals:

Digital photo (include if possible):

I have to run now, but hopefully @essjay or others will be able to help you with how to cycle the tank once you've done that water change. Could also be useful to know what filter you're using, and how you've been cleaning it. Good luck!

Hi,

I've done the tank change has said above.

Tank size: 40L
pH: 7.5
ammonia: (Waiting for test kit to come)
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 0
kH: 120
gH: 180
tank temp: 25c
Don't think the test are that accurate tbh.

Fish:
3x Guppy
8 X Please look at photo, can't remember the name.
IMG_20200808_141023.jpg
IMG_20200808_141021.jpg

All the stuff in picture below was put in tank on first day, gravel was cleaned and log was left in a bucket for few days.
IMG_20200808_142020.jpg

Aqua-flow 200
Betta Thermal Compact Submersible Heater

Today was first water change.

The guy at shop didn't show me water test, he just said to add up to 10 and then after two weeks can bring some water too test and then after that can add more. They also said you can have has many fish in a tank as I want, along has water change is done more often.... Completely different from what I've heard on here.

Last edited:
Before you said that your nitrite is 3ppm and now is 0ppm?
Your water is too soft for guppies I believe, they are hardwater fish.
Do as @AdoraBelle Dearheart said.
An immediate 75% water change, clean gravel, wipe down tank walls and clean filter is it hasn't been cleane for the past 2 weeks.
Add 2 tablespoons of aquarium salt to the tank and keep the salt in the tank for 2 weeks.

Before you said that your nitrite is 3ppm and now is 0ppm?
Your water is too soft for guppies I believe, they are hardwater fish.
Do as @AdoraBelle Dearheart said.
An immediate 75% water change, clean gravel, wipe down tank walls and clean filter is it hasn't been cleane for the past 2 weeks.
Add 2 tablespoons of aquarium salt to the tank and keep the salt in the tank for 2 weeks.

I've done the water change. I haven't got salt so I'll buy some of that.

On Thursday the results was
GH 180
KH 120
PH 7.5
NO2 0
NO3 0

I think the test kit isn't that great, I need to buy the better test kit soon.

male guppy with gill flukes in water with nitrite and probably being bullied by other males.

do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day until the ammonia and nitrite are 0ppm and the nitrate is less than 20ppm.

add 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt for every 20 litres (5 gallons) of tank water. Keep the salt in there for 2-4 weeks. When you do water changes during this time, add salt to the new water before adding it to the tank so the salinity (salt level) in the tank remains stable.

Can someone ID the other fish I have in No. 9 post please.

Most reactions

Back