Guppy Fry?

Fraoch

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Ok, so i bought a female guppy from an online store and she arrived on Thusday . . but when i looked at her i noticed she had given birth while traveling to about 20-30 fry and only 1 dead!! So when i added her and the other fish i had ordered to my tank, i put all the fry into a Marina Floating Fish Hatchery 2 in 1 without the divider in.
But this is very small and they are growing really quick! I have never had fry of any sort before and now im stuck on what to do!! :S
I am going to borrow a 2 foot tank from a friend but i dont have a heater for it and i think it needs to be cycled. could i put my fry in it if i cyled it for a couple of weeks even though i dont have a heater?

Also i know almost nothing about fry so any help at all would be great thanks! :)

Ok, so i bought a female guppy from an online store and she arrived on Thusday . . but when i looked at her i noticed she had given birth while traveling to about 20-30 fry and only 1 dead!! So when i added her and the other fish i had ordered to my tank, i put all the fry into a Marina Floating Fish Hatchery 2 in 1 without the divider in.
But this is very small and they are growing really quick! I have never had fry of any sort before and now im stuck on what to do!! :S
I am going to borrow a 2 foot tank from a friend but i dont have a heater for it and i think it needs to be cycled. could i put my fry in it if i cyled it for a couple of weeks even though i dont have a heater?

Also i know almost nothing about fry so any help at all would be great thanks! :)

Seed the new filter from your existing tank water, also try to get a heater as the fry will need similar water temps to that of which they are presently in. Have you got some fry food,liquid fry is good for them for the first week or two. Alternatively crushed fish flake,almost powder like will help them. You could let nature take its course and put them all into the main tank,provide some java moss and hiding places for them to survive,however if you've an internal filter cover it with some material from a pair of tights or the fry may get sucked into the internal filter. I know it may sound harsh putting the fry into the main tank,however if you have 20-30 fry,its unrealistic to think you will rear them all because you will have a population explosion if you keep them all!
Best of luck with whatever you do. Im sure its the first of many batches of fry,guppies are like rabbits!!!

Gavin

Seed the new filter from your existing tank water, also try to get a heater as the fry will need similar water temps to that of which they are presently in. Have you got some fry food,liquid fry is good for them for the first week or two. Alternatively crushed fish flake,almost powder like will help them. You could let nature take its course and put them all into the main tank,provide some java moss and hiding places for them to survive,however if you've an internal filter cover it with some material from a pair of tights or the fry may get sucked into the internal filter. I know it may sound harsh putting the fry into the main tank,however if you have 20-30 fry,its unrealistic to think you will rear them all because you will have a population explosion if you keep them all!
Best of luck with whatever you do. Im sure its the first of many batches of fry,guppies are like rabbits!!!

Gavin

haha i know, i think all 6 of my females are pregnant again !!! I think maybe i will leave them where they are until they are a bit bigger adn then let them into the tank. Maybe that will give them a bit more of a chance as my dwarf gouramis are certainly showing a lot of interest right now :S

Hi
I dont know if you are aware but most livebearers can have up to five litters of fry from one mating!!!

You will do fine there Fraoch. If you simply feed those fry the same food as the adults, but crushed between your fingertips to be small particles, the fry will grow. The 2 foot tank would be fine for raising the fry as long as you are willing to do enough water changes to control the ammonia that will tend to build up in an uncycled tank. In any comfortable home, the water will stay warm enough for guppy fry to grow and prosper. Although the guppies may not be at their ideal temperature, they will be close enough to truly thrive.

Are you mad getting rid of your female guppy. I think it's great to breed livebearers. LFS will be willing to buy the fry off you when they are big enough to sell.

Are you mad getting rid of your female guppy. I think it's great to breed livebearers. LFS will be willing to buy the fry off you when they are big enough to sell.
I would love to breed my guppies but i dont have enough room and my nearest lfs is quite a long way away, so it would be hard to transport them often :( :/

Most reactions

Back