Good Beginner Fish?

danios might be cramped in a 10 gallon. Personally I wouldnt kepp them in anyhting less then a 20 gallon.

Nothing beats hardy species of tetra fish, just make sure they aren't dyed. Any kind like black phantoms, black or white skirts, diamond, cardinals, etc because a school always looks complimentary in any tank. Tetras always add that nice amazon look when you see the fish schooling. They're all pretty hardy and robust and are not picky in their water conditions or foods.
I cycled my tank with white skirt tetras. :D

Blue Lobster said:
I rescind all my statements on this thread. :/
*hug* it's ok, blue. we all make mistakes.

Hey Andy! Get your mom to look at the pinned topics in the beginner's section with you so that way she can see how much easier it is to have a big tank!

Also, if you have a bigger tank, it's a lot easier to keep most of the fish you'll see in your local fish store (LFS). So if you want maybe a few guppies and then a few danios or maybe a gourami.... :D And you've got the right idea to always do research FIRST! I had to learn that one the hard way. :-(

PS--
excellent use of punctuation and spelling; there is still hope for the next generation :thumbs: ;)

You cant kill Silver Dollars with a shovel
give me twenty minutes and a warm-up. :sly:

I wouldn't start out with a bunch of livebearers especially if mom says you can have your first fish. I know this isn't a fish story but I am going to tell it anyway:

I bought some party mice from a LPS which told me they were all females. A month later I had 2 pregnant female mice and one stressed out male. :rolleyes: The first mouse had about 8 and the second had 14. 2 weeks later the second female was pregnant again (even though she was only with her children and with no other adult males) she gave birth to another 6-8! My mom told us we had to take them all back and she would never let us have any mouse/hamster/rat/gerbil etc again.

If you start getting livebearers and they start having 50+ fry, I think your mom might think ALL fish do that and she may freak out and never let you buy another fish again. (depending on how your mother is, my mom didn't care about my molly having fry since I already had spare tanks and a fairly large tank to let them grow out in.) Also, if it is a small tank it can be overpopulated FAST! Which means you would have the grow out the fry until they were big enough to take to the LPS/LFS or buy MORE tanks to house them all. At that point they would keep interbreeding and you would have an endless amount of fry.

I think you should stick with a type of tetra IMO. :)

Tetras were our first fish and did great. Just remember they are schooling fish and you need to eventually get 5 or more of each species. Some tetras, such as serpaes are very nippy if you only have 2 or 3. I speak from experience. X-ray (pristella) are my personal favorite of the ones we have.

I suggest you get a book and learn all there is to know about keeping fish. Once you have done this you will be able to decide for yourself what is a good beginner fish. You really need to know what your doing so that the fish don't suffer and live happily and healthily in your tank.

how do you have 14.2 babies? :unsure: well, it all depends on what tank you get, 1 gallon or less, betta, 5-10 gallons, tetras, ghost shrimp, and the other stuff metioned. if you happen to get a 30 gallon, you can make a community tank or get 1 fish, like a senegal bichir, which are very interesting

Dorkhedeos said:
how do you have 14.2 babies? :unsure: well, it all depends on what tank you get, 1 gallon or less, betta, 5-10 gallons, tetras, ghost shrimp, and the other stuff metioned. if you happen to get a 30 gallon, you can make a community tank or get 1 fish, like a senegal bichir, which are very interesting
Yea...the mouse had 14 babies. Then there is a period and then it says 2 (two) weeks later it had more. :nod:

I'm guessing that since it will be your first time with fish and your mum wants to see if you can take care of it first a big tank will be out of the question, in which case a betta will be your best shot. You can get some beautiful bettas and you can keep them in reasonably small tanks (I would push for a 5 gallon if possible even though some say they can be happy in smaller tanks.)

Of course if you can get a larger tank my vote would be for Harlequins (As it always is!) :wub:

Good luck
Aylana

Most reactions

Back