Beginner, Intermediate or Advanced.

I think this is post number 5000 for me. So I may as well use it to take on some things...what's a beginner, intermediate or advanced aquarist? I ask because I think the fish follow the aquarist.

A beginner has fish because they are pretty, and tends to depend on others for information about them. They are at the pure consumer phase - fish die, fish get replaced. They haven't made many mistakes yet.
If they are on this forum, it's to ask 2 or 3 questions, and then to ghost. They like their tank, but they don't really commit to making it work. That may come in time, or the tank can be heading for a garage sale.
Intermediate comes quickly, sometimes right after you start. It's an attitude, not a skill level. If you're reading this thread, you are at least there. You decide this is interesting. Fish, plants and even snails interest you. You may not have made all the mistakes yet, but you will because you venture out of passive fishkeeping. When you do, you want to grasp the reasons, and don't just see it as an opportunity to get new fish. The ones you have begin to matter. And the people like you who keep fish begin to be very interesting to talk with. You read about fish here, and in other online sources. You join a fish club and go to meeting where actual human beings can become "fish friends".
You may lack skills, but it begins to dawn on you that changing water is a simple task. Reading about fish to keep them appropriately is enjoyable. Overfeeding is bad. Live plants are neat. This hobby seems to have secrets for experts. Seems to. It's actually deceptively easy.
Advanced? You set up biotopes after research, and you have enough experience to troubleshoot. You may try some fish you consider difficult. You may succeed with them. You probably breed fish, at least sometimes. You read about fish. You begin to formulate projects and they work well. You can talk fish with people, and not just listen. You can change your ideas.

If you love white clouds and want to pay attention to how they are kept, they will be easy. You have to buy healthy ones, do what is needed, and enjoy. But a lot of the fish you'd consider intermediate will be the same story.
That's a great post to mark 5000 with.

Bettas seem like a good beginner fish to me. They have the appeal of being able to be kept in a small tank, which is something a lot of beginners like. And they're easy to care for. Maybe a little too much of a beginner fish. I hate when I see someone buying a 2 gallon tank because they think that's enough.
A betta sorority OTOH, seems more like advanced fish keeping to me. A lot can go wrong.

Man, I'm thinking about the best fish to start with. I have a mindset of an evil drug dealer, with entry level drugs. Platys'll get you hooked on livebearers. Betta splendens can draw you into Anabantoids. Kribs are good entry level Cichlids. .. I'm maybe not the best person for this, as a self confessed killie-cult recruiter.

@GaryE 5000 posts ? You don’t have enough to do

Yeah but mine is over four plus years and I’m retired with only to do what I want to do . See ? I’m a special case and I’m different . 💩
Ahem. Four years, 3, 980 plus posts for you. 13 years, 5000 for me. True, most are in the last 5 years.

I think since we're both retired, we've both discovered it's fun to participate here. This place is a brain gym. I did once think that the day I reached 5000 posts, I'd leave the forum because that would be too much. I used to be young and naive like that.

@GaryE An evil dope dealer of fish. Interesting . You hit the nail right square on the head . There’s something of an addictive nature in all of us and we all gravitate to our drug of choice . The “drug” can be anything. Golf , TV evangelists , video games or (shudder) tropical fish . All fish are cool and interesting and some more so than others to certain of us . Take you for example and those Killie’s (sorry , I forgot which ones) that you’ve kept going since time immemorial . That’s an addiction but a healthy addiction that is purposeful . @emeraldking and @fish48 with their live bearers and Goodeids ? Same thing . All it takes to get to that level is bringing a particular fish home and getting hooked .

Man, I'm thinking about the best fish to start with. I have a mindset of an evil drug dealer, with entry level drugs. Platys'll get you hooked on livebearers. Betta splendens can draw you into Anabantoids. Kribs are good entry level Cichlids. .. I'm maybe not the best person for this, as a self confessed killie-cult recruiter.

Ahem. Four years, 3, 980 plus posts for you. 13 years, 5000 for me. True, most are in the last 5 years.

I think since we're both retired, we've both discovered it's fun to participate here. This place is a brain gym. I did once think that the day I reached 5000 posts, I'd leave the forum because that would be too much. I used to be young and naive like that.
I've participated in Facebook groups and other fish forums. This place is the best. This forum raised my fish keeping game immeasurably. There are so many experienced members sharing great knowledge. And I don't see any of the "never do water changes" crowd.
I know that people say Facebook groups are a waste of time and full of bad info. But I feel like someone should pass along good info and push back against the bad.

Goodeids are livebearers as well but viviparous instead of ovoviviparous.
I remember . You gave a thorough explanation of that recently along with the gonopodium and split fin wienie thing . Livebearers are specialized and unique fish and not at all a beginner fish or kiddie fish . I can’t think of any other fish that lend themselves so well to breeding for specific traits than livebearers.

Most reactions

Back