Goldfish

devon_charm

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi, when my tank was first set up to cycle some one brough me back a goldfish they had won from the fare. I didn't really want it in my tank but i was too nice and didn't want to hurt their fellings as they had spent around £8 trying to win the thing (stupid people). Any way my tank has been up and running for a long time now with many different tropical fish living happily in there as well as the Goldfish who is now massive. The thing is i have started noticing that a couple of fish have gone missing - this could just be genuin deaths, but could it be Wanda (the goldfish). What are peoples opinions on her being in there, will she start to kill my other little guys off?

if any of your fish can fit into the gold fishes mouth i could see the goldfish eating them.
Love the name wanda reminds me of a film called "A fish called wanda" although the fish which was called wanda was an angel fish

Its quite possible, but its also possible that it ate them if they had died. Goldfish will pretty much eat anything, and love to rummage around in the substrate.

But as mentioned, if it'll fit in its mouth they are likely to have a go at some point.

I had a goldfish that suddenly decided to eat 9 out of 10 neon tetras in a day, after they had been together for nearly a month. Another a month later he tried to eat a corydoras (didn't work out well for either fish), and then after that he killed a black moor fancy goldfish.

Lesson:

Aside from temperature preferences, regular goldfish and the more able fancy varieties are only safe with community fish of an equal or larger size.

It would probably be better for the fish if you found someone with a pond. Commons get biiig and they like a lot of swimming room. If you were to keep the fish in a tank, and good size would be 30+ galllons.

yes not only that goldfish realeases a ton of ammonia that can kill the fish to

Some friends had a goldfish who earned the name monster after devouring all the guppies.
Thumbs up for that fish then. A gold fish is the same thing as a carp, so don't expect it be be "nice" and "cuddly?" because that is naive.

Some friends had a goldfish who earned the name monster after devouring all the guppies.
Thumbs up for that fish then. A gold fish is the same thing as a carp, so don't expect it be be "nice" and "cuddly?" because that is naive.

I have never had the conception that they were cuddly, i don't reallt like them as i said it was given to me and i didn't have the heart to say no. Any way fish has a new home, wanda is going to a pond (my Bros)

arent most feeders, commons and commets all the same?

Goldfish are dirty fish thats why they need big tanks with big filters. They are probably the worst fish for bowls lol.

Most reactions

Back