Glass Inlet - Outlet And Spraybar

i think plastic might whiten up a little after a while ? :) but acrylic i dont know... anyways Ste_J im also researching here on my glass inlet outlet, im gonna call the glassblower later and have him give me an estimate on the cost of the inlet and outlet. :)

Let me know how you get on. If all else fails with the lab guys then I may well be locating a glass blower myself!

i just contacted the glass blower ! and the problem now is time ! i cant file a day off from work to go to the glass blower and i cant fax him a layout to see if he can make one for me.... haha dang...

Just like to point out that every tube that I've ever had water running through long term has had significant algae growth occur inside them after a while. I'm guessing that the use of glass is to reduce the visible impact of the equipment in the tank. Just make sure that any design is easy to clean completely. I only mentioned plastics due to their cheaper material and tooling costs. They could be seen as disposable items that do not require cleaning. I'm not certain but to avoid whitening of the plastic surely it's just a case of using the correct plastic.

WK

P.S. Just thought of a great way to clean glass. Acid!

I think a cheaper option would be to find someone that is able to make the eheim tubes from acrylic, clear acrylic that would be perfect. You can get the clear tubing from B&Q going from the fitler to the tube and that would look pretty cool I reckon.

I fear the glass prospect though exciting is going to be very expensive, dont forget you can et the ADA ones for about 80 quid, and they're specifically designed at the intake end and also have a different outlet that minimises surface scum.

Ken, Just found a reply from the lab guys

"Stephen,

We can make 12mm pyrex tubing to your desired shape
If you let me know your location, country I will come back to you with cost"

mmm This is really gonna sting...... Hope they will make them one at a time, like one a month!!!

weee! so how much would it cost ?

btw oldwhitewood the ADA ones cost suupeer expensive IMO. how much is 80 quid btw ? the last time i tried to buy one thru the net, the price was playing between 5000Php - 8,000php or 100-140 dollars something to that extent... so im guessing a quid is a pound ? thats a bit pricey IMO ....

I will hopefully let you know tomorrow. wouldn't want to put money on them being cheaper than the ADA stuff though but it's a starter for 10 and an interesting little project if it comes through.

The other nice thing will be that of knowing that they are custom made i.e. not mass produced.

ok let me know. :) thanks il also try to file for a dayoff here, im in the philippines ! things cost waaaay less here, who knows the glass inlet outlet might be do-able under 40 dollars here. :p

btw oldwhitewood the ADA ones cost suupeer expensive IMO. how much is 80 quid btw ? the last time i tried to buy one thru the net, the price was playing between 5000Php - 8,000php or 100-140 dollars something to that extent... so im guessing a quid is a pound ? thats a bit pricey IMO ....

Yeah sorry I am meaning a pound. I guess across the board ADA products are expensive, I think they have like one glass blower guy that hand makes all the equipment. My fear is that the cost for getting these made by hand is going to be a lot, glass is a fantastic material to use for this equipment but it is bloody costly, that is why I'm thinking if such a thing could be made out of perspex or plastic the cost would be way less. I would love to find a way of making these things in the UK maybe I should start checking it out.

Yay I have a price :D

Got to make sure that the specs are right before I place my order but I reckon that they are not far off the original pieces. - Anyone care to double check?

So they have also stated that an internal of 1.5mm for the wall thickness and that the spraybar will have mixed sized holes as they have to pick the holes out - sounds like a mix between 2.5 and 3.5mm

As to the price all I can say at the moment is that it is very good, in fact it is so good that I am thinking of getting 2 of each - I have been offered a sample so I may try the spray bar as this is easiest to quick try.

Looking at the Intake design for the Eheim and I would still need to put the horrid plastic tub on the end, the ADA stuff on the other hand seems to taper in to a small tube, looking at the 12mm glass tube I suspect that it would be quite easy to squash this in to half size if you know what I mean ? Would this design allow for enough water flow?

Happy days :D

are you going to enlighten people with the price?

Not just yet, I want to ensure that the whole thing is in fact a straight deal and that they can make the parts in the way that I want them.

I suspect that you would have a struggle to find an ADA glass product cheaper than the price I have for the whole kit.

Ok so I've been reading around a few places and found that there is somewhere in the states that supplies nice glass wear at a fraction of the cost that ADA charge. Not sure about the forum rules re linking to other forums so I'll let somebody offer advice on that one.

Whilst reading through I found this design for the intake

intake_pipe_finished.jpg

Now this does seem to be nicer than having an ugly Eheim plastic tub on the end :D

BTW to have the bits made to match the Eheim type of intake, spraybar and crook it would cost just under £40

Not sure yet how much it will be to have one of the above made but I can only assume that it's going to be quite cheap, the tube has to be closed at the bottom and slits cut in for the flow.

Any thoughts?

Ste

Most reactions

Back