George's Nano Journal

fantastic job so far george. i've been following this thread but as you know cant really comment much (from work). Love the background. i wondered how long you could last with a dry tank!! your plants and fishies are doing well in my 180. even the mutant cardinal (with the Z shaped spine) is still going strong and shoaling with the pack.

Thanks everyone.

Here's the back lighting set up. Nothing special. As I mentioned the tube is 24" and so sticks out 6" either side. I'm trying to source a cheap 12" tube/ballast as we speak.

the planting is looking great. And the background is an absolute inpiration. You don't even see this commercially. Quick, design a working product and patent it!

I put some hairgrass in my tank and it simply vanished! Must have been struggling for light. Might try it again now i've upgraded and started adding CO2.

What colour paper are you using? I have some translucent plastic (waterproof cover off my school planner). I'll probably just experiment actually, but yours looks really nice.

Neal

Thanks everyone.

What colour paper are you using? I have some translucent plastic (waterproof cover off my school planner). I'll probably just experiment actually, but yours looks really nice.

Neal
No paper on the last photo, just colourless transluscent plastic from an old paperwork file and the 3000K T8 tube.

Minor update.

I have given some thought to the hairgrass position. So in accordance with my original plan (and other's suggestion) have moved a few hairgrass plants, spread strategically across the mid to foreground and around the stones. It's not easy to see in the photo but I think it looks better and anticipate the end result being quite effective. Long-term sustainability will be interesting but by then I'll be eager to try out new aquascaping ideas I'm sure.

Growth is good, the HC is spreading already with surprisingly little die-off. I imagined as it was grown emersed then it would suffer a little adapting to its submersed existence. Maybe it's too early to say. The hairgrass is also sending out runners too.

Anyway, here's a photo

Note the new background. I bought a cold-cathode all-in-one unit from my local DIY shop for about £10. It spans the length of the tank exactly and gives a white/blue hue. I've simply placed some white card behind the lamp and tank. As you can see the cathode lamp is low output so for "final photo shoots" I will upgrade to fluorescent. It is fun experimenting!

Great stuff george, you always see these great little planted tanks on websites and stuff when they are finished but its great to see how its all done and how you get to the end product.

I really like the hair grass spread out like that George. It will look much more nautral once filled in. You really can tell that the hc has grown. Looks fantastic.

I am in interested in trying lighting like this on my 10g tank, and the cathode lighting seems like an easier way of going. Think you could get a picture of the set up for me? just so I know what I could be looking for (or a list of the parts.) I would really appreciate it.

Great stuff george, you always see these great little planted tanks on websites and stuff when they are finished but its great to see how its all done and how you get to the end product.
Thanks. I hope that others can learn, as I am too, from this journal. Nanos are becoming more popular so it seems appropriate to share my journey.
I really like the hair grass spread out like that George. It will look much more nautral once filled in. You really can tell that the hc has grown. Looks fantastic.

I am in interested in trying lighting like this on my 10g tank, and the cathode lighting seems like an easier way of going. Think you could get a picture of the set up for me? just so I know what I could be looking for (or a list of the parts.) I would really appreciate it.
Cheers. I'll get a photo later. It comes as one whole unit complete with 12v transformer, lamp and housing. Even the lamp isn't interchangeable but with a 20,000 hour lifetime..... You can't get much simpler. http://www.focusdiy.co.uk/invt/43879

Looks good George.

Glad you'v moved some of your hair grass. The idea of of planting hair grss around rocks or wood is to give a sense of age, showing that the plants have had to grow around the age old stones.

Great ideas with the lights, not many people bother doing fancy lighting affects. Iv done similar things with my SHAKKEI nano and have a similar plan with my SOAR nano.
The other technique will be to add a fan or hair dryer, to blow a ripple on the water surface,that looks dam good when combined with great photography, back lighting and nice aquascape. I think its not just the aquascape thats important its how you present it, an avarage design can look more than avarage with a little creative photography, it adds to the fantasy of being in another world.

I like you scape George,the only thin I would say is the topography of your substrate, id like to see more of an incline to the rear of the design.

R,
Graeme

Much better IMO with the hairgrass spread out a bit, look far more natural. Bargain find on the lighting too.

Sam

Thanks guys.

Graeme, you are right on the substrate slope. 20/20 hindsight....

I've just joined an aquatic photo forum. Man, I have so much to learn.

Most reactions

Back