George's Nano Journal

George Farmer Posted Today, 11:54 AM
Thanks guys.

Graeme, you are right on the substrate slope. 20/20 hindsight....

I've just joined an aquatic photo forum. Man, I have so much to learn

Ive seen the odd aqua photo forum, can u send me the link?

If i remember right, there is alot of flash photgraphy used, two flash units plus! above or behined a tank seems the norm, that in its self can be exspensive not to mention technical, hmmmm what shutter speed and apature should i set with two fash guns and florecant lighting. Very thechie mate, but very cool.

Seems to be down at the mo but thank you.

Photography is another passion of mine. So will be interesting to see how these guys do things Lol.

Joel

How is the tank going? Any signs of algae on the hairgrass? :p
When are you thinking of starting to cycle the tank?

One week since planting

How is the tank going? Any signs of algae on the hairgrass? :p
When are you thinking of starting to cycle the tank?
Fine thanks. No algae except a little green dust algae (GDA) on the glass but even this was negligable.

I won't be cycling the tank. Instead I'll simple cut up an established filter sponge into small pieces and put these into my HOB filter. Stocking will be low i.e. one or two Amano shrimp and 6 Microrasbora sp. so I anticipate no spikes.

Before buying any animals I will take a sample of water to the shop for testing (I have no kits), mainly for pH and KH to determine CO2 levels so my animals don't suffer. I'll get them to test for NO3 and PO4 out of interest too.

A couple of weeks or so and I'll be ready for livestock.

Ive just noticed that the lighting you are using now creates a large shadow on your big rock as opposed to the photo before, are you using different lighting methods in each photo or is it something to do with the ambient light in the room?

Ive just noticed that the lighting you are using now creates a large shadow on your big rock as opposed to the photo before, are you using different lighting methods in each photo or is it something to do with the ambient light in the room?
Lighting methods are the same (aquarium lighting only in a dark room). I've moved the main stone slightly but you will also notice a difference in contrast. Not sure why, cheap camera maybe? Crap photographer more likely!

Cherry shrimp are so pretty. I had a few in IL before a sparkling gourami decided they would make a great snack. :sick: Tank looks wonderful. Growth is very good for 8 days.

:good:

Have you considered a different shrimp that's a bit unusual, something like bumblebee, tiger or even crystal red shrimp?

A shrimp only tank does sound good, i was thinking of trying to get some crystal red's for my pfk nano. I can't help think that it might make the tank look a bit bare with nothing in the top half though.

Tank is still looking good. If you put the first and last pic side by side, you can see there's been a lot of growth for just one week!!

Tend to agree with voo! the tank is really nice and so too are cherry shrimps but i think some tiny rasboras would look great. As Voo said they could just help to liven up the upper level of the tank. If you do decide to put shrimp in you should look at crystal bee shrimps!

Yeah I vote for the cherry shrimp. I have some with crystal reds in a five gallon and they are great for small tanks. Even the tiny rasboras looked too squashed for my taste in the tank. I think the cherries walking around on the HC and the rocks would look great and make the tank seem terrestrial, it looks like a landscape already and maybe fish flitting about in the ‘sky’ would change that. Crystal reds are really cute looking too, but they are overpriced on the site you linked unless they are higher grade than we get normally in the UK. They are about £3.50 each in London shops for C or non graded CRS. They are considered more difficult than other dwarf shrimp.

It looks great, much bigger looking than it is.

Quick update.

I have a big of minor hair algae going on amongst the HC due to neglect over the last few days (uber busy weekend - I work part-time doing firework dispays). So I'm off to get some Amano shrimp today to hopefully nip it in the bud.

I'll try to get some photos tonight, of the algae and shrimp.

I'm still undecided on CRS or galaxies. No rush though.

Most reactions

Back