Furious With Pets @ Home

Lorraine1983

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am bliming furious!! I went to pets at home today to cheer up my molly and buy her a few more friends... Anyway, when i was there every tank had a dead fish in it.. There gourami fish were rubbing against the bog wood.. in the same tank there was a head of a gourami, which the other fish fed from!

In another tank, a fish had decomposed against the bogwood!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was so furious i demanded to speaak to the manager!! the dopey fish expert couldnt even sex out the mollies!! said he had to refer to the book. Apparently they check out the tanks every hr! When i asked to see there reports of who checked the tanks on the hr they dont have one.. no suprise.. Poor bloody fish are in a right mess.. One was rolling on it back and fighting it.. i mistaked it for dead :( The dopey idot said its not dead yet and laughed... My little girl was shouting out ewwww!! and the idiot told her to Shhh! I swear, he lucky im a lady or i be done for assault! lol

I taken some pictures but they not come out well... What should i do??? :angry:

Simple answer is if you dont like a shop dont spend your money their..........

Shop around till u find somewhere u like and stick with them!!!!

And tell people localy why you dont like them.....

Personally i dont like them either!!!!

I am bliming furious!! I went to pets at home today to cheer up my molly and buy her a few more friends... Anyway, when i was there every tank had a dead fish in it.. There gourami fish were rubbing against the bog wood.. in the same tank there was a head of a gourami, which the other fish fed from!

In another tank, a fish had decomposed against the bogwood!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was so furious i demanded to speaak to the manager!! the dopey fish expert couldnt even sex out the mollies!! said he had to refer to the book. Apparently they check out the tanks every hr! When i asked to see there reports of who checked the tanks on the hr they dont have one.. no suprise.. Poor bloody fish are in a right mess.. One was rolling on it back and fighting it.. i mistaked it for dead :( The dopey idot said its not dead yet and laughed... My little girl was shouting out ewwww!! and the idiot told her to Shhh! I swear, he lucky im a lady or i be done for assault! lol

Report them to the head office, they will investigate and do something about it

I'd report is to either the rspca or your local council, I believe its the council that issue to licences to sell fish.

I have to be honest, my local pets at home isnt up to much either, I was in there the other week (I dont buy fish from there) and there was a dead yellow lab malawi in the cichlid tank and it must have been dead for days considering how decomposed it was. Whenever I've bought fish from there in the past I've ALWAYS had probs so I give them a wide berth now.

The staff dont seem to have a clue but I guess that will be different deoending on which stores you went to.

Andy

I'm sorry your little girl saw all that, my kids get really upset if we see sick or dead fish in shops, an odd one or two, you can understand, fish do get ill & they do die, but decomposing bodies & lots of dead/ill fish is awful.

I would find out the details of their head office & lodge a complaint. I've found some are ok, some are bad, we have a local LFS now which we use which is great, you have to shop around to find the best ones.

If you don't like a store, just don't patronize it. This means, not just fish, but anything else they sell. If their standards are so low that enough of their customers boycott the place, they will eventually either change their ways or go out of business. Either way, the problem will be corrected.

I've seen this at my local pet@home - so much so I refuse to buy any live stock from them as their fish always seem to small to be sold in the first place.

It's a shame this big companies can't even look after their own stock.

mine had a full size monster cray fish in the cichlid tank, it had ripped open and eaten a huge plec and was still eating it when I went back in the afternoon, the shop assistant said he was scared it would take his finger off so he wasnt moving it.....or its dinner

Simple answer is if you dont like a shop dont spend your money their..........

Shop around till u find somewhere u like and stick with them!!!!

And tell people localy why you dont like them.....

Personally i dont like them either!!!!

Its so frustraing seeing people shop there when they are really new to the hobby. I seen them sell a plec for a 20 lt tank. My tank is 4 ft and my plec is a foot now... The assistant told them they didnt need to worry abt the size as it takes ages for them to grow that big... Grrr But i do agree with above comments

Report them to the head office, they will investigate and do something about it

Thanx. I genuinly didn't think that far. I will email them tonight.

I'd report is to either the rspca or your local council, I believe its the council that issue to licences to sell fish.

I have to be honest, my local pets at home isnt up to much either, I was in there the other week (I dont buy fish from there) and there was a dead yellow lab malawi in the cichlid tank and it must have been dead for days considering how decomposed it was. Whenever I've bought fish from there in the past I've ALWAYS had probs so I give them a wide berth now.

The staff dont seem to have a clue but I guess that will be different deoending on which stores you went to.

Andy

I can understand some fish die with the stress etc but that many fish... Oh its aweful!! I'm too passionate for my own good.

How do they get away with it. Surely they have inspections?

this is really very interesting, my P@H is very very strict =/

they have immaculate tanks, they showed me the filtration and it looked brilliant! They also make you fill out a form in your purchase of tank size, how long its been up for etc the fantastic thing was, a lady said she wanted 3 clown loaches for her tank, listened in and she said she had a 30G tank, the staff lady said your tank is far too small and it is far too cruel; it was brilliant!

But if i was in your situation i would have probably smacked him one (im 17 lol) =/ that's just disgraceful what they are doing :(

I'm sorry your little girl saw all that, my kids get really upset if we see sick or dead fish in shops, an odd one or two, you can understand, fish do get ill & they do die, but decomposing bodies & lots of dead/ill fish is awful.

I would find out the details of their head office & lodge a complaint. I've found some are ok, some are bad, we have a local LFS now which we use which is great, you have to shop around to find the best ones.

Yes, i completly agree.. its ok for them to see fish die etc but the state they were in was truey shocking...

I'm definatly going to put in a complaint to the head office. I didnt even think about it because i was so flustered with it all. I have a great pets store a little further out but well worth going there from now on.

Thanx

my local pets at home use to be awful, however they have had tanks refitted in and for 6 months now they have remained descent and the fish they have dont seem bad at all.

i have a little pet store that its that severe on some tanks its all green algea and you can just see shadows of some fish. which i believed to be goldfish with the shadows being prety big. i never went back in and never want to so im not sure i could go back and take pics as it upsets me too much.

When its a big multi store like that i'd report them in house by writing a letter to head office too.

My LFS has good fish but awful advice so i don't shop there (the only option i have), i go to either of our local Maidenhead Aq. now. Can recc Syon Park highly. Overheard a "saturday help" not selling neons to a tank with angels :good:

I've seen this at my local pet@home - so much so I refuse to buy any live stock from them as their fish always seem to small to be sold in the first place.

It's a shame this big companies can't even look after their own stock.
How do they get away with it? I remember years back they had tones of problems and it was all over the news... You would think after that, they'd wise up....

mine had a full size monster cray fish in the cichlid tank, it had ripped open and eaten a huge plec and was still eating it when I went back in the afternoon, the shop assistant said he was scared it would take his finger off so he wasnt moving it.....or its dinner

Don't get me wrong, i have to think twice wth puttin my hand in my own tank with the shark fish! They really scare me lol But if you choose to work in a pets store then have some knowledge or learn.. If you choose to keep fish, you got to learn.... I got to say the best advice i've had is on this site... Everyone has been great :)

this is really very interesting, my P@H is very very strict =/

they have immaculate tanks, they showed me the filtration and it looked brilliant! They also make you fill out a form in your purchase of tank size, how long its been up for etc the fantastic thing was, a lady said she wanted 3 clown loaches for her tank, listened in and she said she had a 30G tank, the staff lady said your tank is far too small and it is far too cruel; it was brilliant!

But if i was in your situation i would have probably smacked him one (im 17 lol) =/ that's just disgraceful what they are doing :(

Some of the pets at home are OK... Been up and running a good couple of years now...

There tanks look clean but looks can deceive! ;)

I was tempted and i'm 26 lol It is a disgrace. Really has got me worked up as everyone can probably tell lol

my local pets at home use to be awful, however they have had tanks refitted in and for 6 months now they have remained descent and the fish they have dont seem bad at all.

i have a little pet store that its that severe on some tanks its all green algea and you can just see shadows of some fish. which i believed to be goldfish with the shadows being prety big. i never went back in and never want to so im not sure i could go back and take pics as it upsets me too much.

aww thats aweful!! Did you report it or anything??

When its a big multi store like that i'd report them in house by writing a letter to head office too.

My LFS has good fish but awful advice so i don't shop there (the only option i have), i go to either of our local Maidenhead Aq. now. Can recc Syon Park highly. Overheard a "saturday help" not selling neons to a tank with angels :good:

I will definatly be reporting it while i'm still mad lol I will post there responce on here!

I heard of Maidenhead.. Meant to be really good. Why cant all fish places be like that huh :(

comparable to halfords then AND pc world !

its terrible the way *some* big shops conduct business , in fact its bloody appalling

Most reactions

Back