Fry Tank

tropicalgirl2007

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi

Does anybody keep their fry in a plastic tank, with no filter/heater? If so please can you let me know.

Becky

so am I ok to put my new fry in a small tank then. why dont thet need a heater? is it because of the small water volume? and I take it you add the filter later because they creat more waste?

Thanks

Becky

what fry do you have, i keep the guppies with out a heat but i have a light at the back of them that keeps them warm i do the same with my male bettas, as for the filter i add it a few weeks because i know they are strong enough not to get sucked up and i like to get them used to having filters at a young age, seems a lot easier when i move them to a filtered tank

so am I ok to put my new fry in a small tank then. why dont thet need a heater? is it because of the small water volume? and I take it you add the filter later because they creat more waste?

Thanks

Becky
i usually take a betta cup, collect all the fry in it and float it in the corner of the tank. that way it's the same water as the main tank so they can get used to it and it's the same temperature. also when the adults try to look in the cup the fry learn who to stay away from. then i change the water in the cup every few days

what fry do you have, i keep the guppies with out a heat but i have a light at the back of them that keeps them warm i do the same with my male bettas, as for the filter i add it a few weeks because i know they are strong enough not to get sucked up and i like to get them used to having filters at a young age, seems a lot easier when i move them to a filtered tank

I take it you turn the light off at night?

I have guppy fry (born last night) and swordtail fry. Can I just go and buy a gold fish bowl and that we be ok? of something smaller?

becky

well the bigger the tank the better really, how many fry do you have? my fry tank is a 2.5 gal but i only have the one mother so only one lot of fry in there, it would be best to get a heater with there being swordtail fry as well, guppies can withstand lower temperatures where swordtails cannot

well the bigger the tank the better really, how many fry do you have? my fry tank is a 2.5 gal but i only have the one mother so only one lot of fry in there, it would be best to get a heater with there being swordtail fry as well, guppies can withstand lower temperatures where swordtails cannot

is something like this ok?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-STARTRIGHT-GOLDF...1QQcmdZViewItem

I have 5 guppies and 6 swordtails, I was thinking that if I place the small tank on top of my larger one the heat would conduct and warm the water.

Becky

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
BUMP

Please tell me if you think the above is ok, if so I can go and get one during my lunchbreak.

Thanks in advance

Becky

something like that should be fine, i would heat it if possible, a small heater shoudn't cost you much

one last question, if there is a smaller water volume and it sits on top of the larger tank, the water should be warm from the heat from the heat given off by the tank.

If not I will find a heater. also what should the watts be on the heater?

Becky

it will warm it to an extent but is unlikely to give a stable temp the same as the tank it is sat on

smallest you can find really, ask the pet shop they should tell you what is suitable for the size of the tank :good:

Most reactions

Back