Fry Help?

jgilley84

Reaction score
is a 1 gal to small to put the mom in to have her fry? if so what is the smallest i can put them in ?

is a 1 gal to small to put the mom in to have her fry? if so what is the smallest i can put them in ?

Its best to have a 10 gallon tank for raising fry, they grow quick and there is lots off each drop so a 1g will soon be useless for them althoguh the morther will be fine to have them in the 1g but they will soon need a bigger tank.

what all will i need ? i mean i dont have all the money in the world i didnt want to do this i just cant let them get eaten in the big tank thats just mean

what all will i need ? i mean i dont have all the money in the world i didnt want to do this i just cant let them get eaten in the big tank thats just mean

Hey there,

The 1 gallon will be fine, feed them well and by the time they're about a month they'll be big enough to go back in the main tank. There's nothing in your tank that will 'hunt them down', if any of them get eaten it'll be opportunist mouths.

I bought a little Tetratec setup that came with the light, filter and heater - can't remember what it cost but it wasn't too bad... once the mother gives birth I take her out and put her back in the main tank. Alternately you can try to give the fry lots of close growing plants and things to hide under in the main tank - some will get eaten but some should make it, with enough hiding places.

Hey there,

The 1 gallon will be fine, feed them well and by the time they're about a month they'll be big enough to go back in the main tank. There's nothing in your tank that will 'hunt them down', if any of them get eaten it'll be opportunist mouths.

You really think 1G is fine? :rolleyes:

Its fine for the mother to have them in yes, its fine for them to stay in for a few weeks yes..

but then what? back n the mian tank? then your oing to end up with a overcrowded main tank :rolleyes:

Maybe thinking ahead about this more may be better, thjink of whats involved fully before jumping in at the dep end as you dont want to end up with no room for your fish :)

good luck :)

Hey there,

You really think 1G is fine? :rolleyes:

Its fine for the mother to have them in yes, its fine for them to stay in for a few weeks yes..

but then what? back n the mian tank? then your oing to end up with a overcrowded main tank :rolleyes:

Maybe thinking ahead about this more may be better, thjink of whats involved fully before jumping in at the dep end as you dont want to end up with no room for your fish :)

good luck :)

yes, absolutely agree, in the long term it's not ideal (a problem I'm faced with at the very moment, overcrowded tank but fry still too small for lfs) but it would tanke the pressure of in the short term til OP can source a cheap growing up tank.

will the fry be ok to put in with my other fish in my 10 gal after a month or so?

will the fry be ok to put in with my other fish in my 10 gal after a month or so?

Just noticed you have a common plec in your 29gal, if I were you I'd think about taking him back to lfs and putting fry in there. Your 10gal is at capacity and couldn't really take anymore fish, even fry. Rehome the plec and you'll have more room in the 29 gal for the fry. Common plec's can grow to around 12" and need a 55 gallon tank minimum, otherwise they'll be stunted and miserable. Rehoming the plec will be better for you and the fish.

Just noticed you have a common plec in your 29gal, if I were you I'd think about taking him back to lfs and putting fry in there. Your 10gal is at capacity and couldn't really take anymore fish, even fry. Rehome the plec and you'll have more room in the 29 gal for the fry. Common plec's can grow to around 12" and need a 55 gallon tank minimum, otherwise they'll be stunted and miserable. Rehoming the plec will be better for you and the fish.
well right now he is only 2" so he is no trouble right now but my 10 gal only has 4 fish in it so how is it full i just forgot to edit my sig

Most reactions

Back