Fluval Fx5 Into A Fluval Roma 125 Cabinat

Spanerman

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Will it phisically fit?

If not, whats a big filter i can get in there?

I need it to filter my South American Puffers

Sam.

Sorry Spanerman, I have no experience with your particular tank. I favor the Rena XP series externals based on my own experiences but have no clue when it comes to you original equipment filter.

Well ATM I have a Ehiem 2213 which is a little too small.

Anyone else got any ideas?

Sam

Sam - that's a huge jump from a 2213 (390 l/h) to an FX5 (2300 l/h). Why not get another 2213 or upgrade to a 2215/7?

Wow that really is a big filter for that size tank! Tell you what you do need to do though post pics :hey::wub:

I have the rio 125L tank and run an eheim 2217+ on it and its more than enough.

An FX5 on that tank would blow your fish into next week :lol:

Andy

An FX5 is MAJOR overkill on that size tank. For example I have one on my 637L tank, and the flow still blows my fish about if they get caught in it!

Ok il look for a 2317, my fish are very messy so a big filter was a must and fx5's are reasoanbly cheap and i could always turn the flow down.

My SAP's are good swimmers so a decent filter flow souldnt be a problem.

Sam.

Will it phisically fit?

If not, whats a big filter i can get in there?

I need it to filter my South American Puffers

Sam.
The intake and output hoses wont even fit into the aquariums precut holes at the back, but the filter would fit in the cabinet.
Its not worth wasing money on a filter for huge aquariums for an aquarium as small as the Roma 125
I would recommend the Tetratec EX series

Ok, does anyone have any Externals that are half decent and can do around 1000 or mor lph?

Sam.

10x turnover was recommended on a puffer forum....

Is this correct?

Sam.

An eheim 2217+ is available for about £90 and after media is taken into consideration would give you over 6x turnover which would be fine. I'd only aims for 10x if you have heavily planted tank or extremely messy fish.

Why not get the 2217+ and run it together with your 2213? That will give you more than 10x turnover if thats what you wish.

Absolutely no point getting the fx5 because you'd have to turn it down to under half the max flow so your wasting money, also as mentioned, the pipes wont fit into the precut holes as the pipes are monster thick.

Andy

Id prefer to get rid of the filter, and run one due tothe simple fact that im anal about tidyness

Il look for the ehiem, is that price second hand?

Sam.

No brand new, you in UK? if so look at charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk for the '+' model which means you get the shut off taps for the pipes included meaning easier maintenance.

Andy

Most reactions

Back