Fluval Edge Lighting

soggs

Reaction score
I've been having a slowly increasing problem with the LED light unit in my 23l Fluval Edge, whereby the LEDs are one by one failing to the point where I only have 9 out of 21 working and the blue lights have given up the ghost completely!

Unfortunately due to a recent house move I have managed to lose the receipt for the tank so I contacted Hagen to see if they could help. I have to say their customer service is top notch, and they said to send the unit back to them and they would send a replacement free of charge as it's within the 2 year warranty. So that's my plan so I can get a fully working unit again.

However, while I was in my LFS where I got the tank from I asked about the lighting unit and if there was anything they could do for me. The assistant said that they couldn't deal with a warranty issue but to hold on a minute, then she went out the back and brought out a replacement unit and said that it was a spare they were sent and that if I made a donation into their charity pot (£10 was hinted at) then I could have that unit. I'm very tempted to do this as it saves me having to wait for a replacement unit, but also it was a lighting unit for the 46l Edge which has 42 LEDs on it as apposed to the 21 on the 23l model.

Now my question is will this fit my 23l Edge unit or will it be too big. And if it does fit will it be too much light for the smaller tank, or will it actually be better? I was planning to rescape and add some real plants at some point so I'm guessing the extra light would be beneficial anyway, but don't want to risk overloading the tank with light if that makes any sense?!

Not sure on the size of the unit tbh so I couldn't say whether it will be different to your tank, however if it does dont worry about there being too much light the only problem that could cause is algae really!
I will say this though, if you opt for the LFS unit be careful when fitting it you don't want to do any damage as I am sure that would put the product out of warranty!

Liam Goodaire

Thanks for the reply, and I'm glad you think that too much light would be a bad thing, algae can be dealt with!

I suppose the main issue is whether the light units are the same size on the 23l and 46l tanks. I'm guessing they must be as the opening is the same size from what I have read. I just want to be sure before I part with a tenner, although I'm sure I could make that money back by selling it if it didn't fit!

I think the light units are pretty straightforward to replace so hopefully I won't mess it up and invalidate my warranty.

Well just a little update to this topic in case anyone is interested.

The 46l lighting unit definitely fits the 23l Edge tank, and I have to give a big thumbs up to Hagen UK's customer services.

I sent the faulty unit to them on Monday and yesterday I received a brand new replacement, and not only that it was the lighting unit for the 46l with more LEDs, and also including the power supply which I didn't even send back to them.

So now I have a spare lighting unit as I also had the one from my LFS which is now fitted. I might keep it or sell it on, depends if this one goes wrong too I guess!

Its always worth dealing with the main companies directly if you aren't exactly in warrantee or want to try luck for more, not shops fault at all but their hands are completely tied to following the protocol of not only their company but that rules stipulated by the company that produced the product too lol.

Personally.. Hagens light units for the Fluvl edges are still poorly designed IMO. I gave up dealing with it through shop and had 10 light units replace one after the other! (at the same time i was having issues with me ExoTerra light unit for reptiles also made by Hagen and ended up with having that replaced 5 times to!!)

Most reactions

Back