Fluval 1 Or 2?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Qays

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hey!

Im having problems choosing between a fluval + 1 or 2 internal filter.

The stocking levels will be 5 guppies and 3 (albino) corys, and the tank is 11 gallons (18"x12"x12")

Help would be appriciated!!!

My preference would actually be a Hagen Elite Stingray. I find fluvals make far too much mess (when you lift them out of the tank) and clog up too much (I've had the range of 1's, 2's & 3's). But if you really want Fluval, I'd go for 2 Plus though One would probably suffice - though you can't adjust the flow rate.

My preference would actually be a Hagen Elite Stingray. I find fluvals make far too much mess (when you lift them out of the tank) and clog up too much (I've had the range of 1's, 2's & 3's). But if you really want Fluval, I'd go for 2 Plus though One would probably suffice - though you can't adjust the flow rate.

Ill go for the fluval 2.

Thanks for the support!

We don't (really) have Hobs in the UK. They are not sold over the counter - support is hard to find if something goes wrong or parts need replacing. They only way to really get a hob here, is to mail order. And even then you'll have to hunt around.

Personally I don't like hobs (I've had one) because they are noisy and you need to cut a part out of most UK made hoods to fit them.

I have a fluval 2 in a 20 gal tank and it works just fine.....and yes the flow rate can be adjusted, maybe not as much as some people would like, but the 2 has an adjustment that slides L>R. I chose the 2 over the 1 because you could add extra filtration pads, I use a carbon pad in the middle. Right now there are 3 adult platy's with 6 of their babies, 2 dwarf gouramis, and 6 tetras.

I have a fluval 2 in a 20 gal tank and it works just fine.....and yes the flow rate can be adjusted, maybe not as much as some people would like, but the 2 has an adjustment that slides L>R. I chose the 2 over the 1 because you could add extra filtration pads, I use a carbon pad in the middle. Right now there are 3 adult platy's with 6 of their babies, 2 dwarf gouramis, and 6 tetras.

My tank is half the size of yours, so im wondering a fluval 2 would be too powerful and suck the fish in!

fluval 1 doesn;t have a lot of room for media

the fluval 2 are good but when cleaning the pades its very messy to get out and find this dirtys the water

fluval 1 doesn;t have a lot of room for media

the fluval 2 are good but when cleaning the pades its very messy to get out and find this dirtys the water

I dont have much media to put in anyway, just a sponge

surely your lfs should be able to order anything you want ? mine does :shifty:

I originally bought it for a 10 gallon and the only fish it sucked in were platy fry which was easily corrected by covering the intake with mesh. I had small tetras, a couple of platy's and their fry in it. Dwarf puffer was there for a short period of time until other tank was ready.
As for having problems with it being difficult to clean...I put it in the best location for me (back left corner) and I leave it on while I pull the bottom part off, I haven't had any problems so far, even when hubby used it to hold his african cichlids until his new tank was ready in the 20 gallon. The tank got dirty from being over stocked, but he didn't clean it out either. I had it clear in 2 days time by stirring the gravel, a couple of vacuums, and cleaning filter pads daily.

Most reactions

Back