Flea Like Bugs...

quattro30

Reaction score
Hello all-
Recently I have discovered something strange, at least to us; since we have owned our 75 gallon tank which we have had for over 2 years now.
Earlier today while doing a routine water change, I saw for the second time tiny little black bugs on the inside edges of the tank. By process of elimination, we can tell that they are not fleas.

Can anyone share anything on this? We don't know what we are dealing with.

P.S. All our Cichlids are healthy.

Thanks-
Andy

Are they actually in the water or above the water line.

Has anything been added to the tank recently.

Worst case are you able to strip the tank.

A pic would be nice. As well as a discription.

So it looks like a flea? Perhaps a daphnia? Gnat?

Did you go scoop some live foods out of the local ponds to add to the tank?

Are they actually in the water or above the water line.

Has anything been added to the tank recently.

Worst case are you able to strip the tank.

They are actually above the water line right on the inside walls.....when I take off the lid you can see them crawling and trying to keep away from the water. I say that they are like fleas is because they jump but after catching a few of them, you can easily squeeze them unlike a flea.

We have two small dogs that are flea free, and very healthy.

The most recent addition to the tank has been "Arthur", large shrimp. No new rocks, plants,or anything else.

I am puzzled..
-_-

A pic would be nice. As well as a discription.

So it looks like a flea? Perhaps a daphnia? Gnat?

Did you go scoop some live foods out of the local ponds to add to the tank?

It is very similar to a flea, I am just puzzled that they are in the tank. In the last two years that we have had out set up, I have not seen anything like it until recently.

We have not added any live foods or anything similar.
I will try to get some pictures later tonight when I get home...

????

It sounds as if its external ie not from the tank proberly atracted by the warmth if they get in the tank the fish will have a little snack.

Clean them off and check the surrounding area and your dogs.

It sounds as if its external ie not from the tank proberly atracted by the warmth if they get in the tank the fish will have a little snack.

Clean them off and check the surrounding area and your dogs.

I have been doing a little research and found out that they are indeed a "water flea", apparently harmless and part of the eco system. I don't how we got them but I have been told by my Local supplier that they come and go. Some months they will be there and others they will be completely gone.

I don't like them so I will be doing some reading as to how to get them out of the tank. :hey:

Most reactions

Back