Flake food = malnutrition?

clutterydrawer said:
tetra_delica_fresh.jpg

012380.jpg

Sorry, I just noticed the last one is in german. It says "red mosquitoe larvae in nutrient rich jelly" then "nutritious addition to the diet of all aquarium fish"
this stuff doesnt go in the fridge. its great. i feed to all of my fish as a treat.
i think every aquatic creature (minus the herbavores) loves this stuff.

i have about 20 different foods that i feed my fish. 2 of the kinds are flakes.
hikari goldfish and the tetra pro crisps

i trust hikari and im pretty sure they dont make any kind of nutritionally devoid foods.
the tetra crisps have a low heat processing and they dont cloud the water (yay!)

CFC said:
To give you a rough idea of how varied fishes diets should be this is a typical list of what i feed my fish over one week.

One box of live crickets
150 live shrimp
14 packs of live glassworm/daphnia
200 grams of frozen bloodworm
50 grams of frozen gamma shrimp
50 grams frozen krill
50 grams of frozen mussel
50 grams of frozen whitebait/lance fish
25 grams of frozen cockle
a small handfull each of cichlid pellets, carnivor sticks, catfish pellets and algea wafers
1 small head of lettuce

this is also supplemented with seasonal feedings of live mosquito larvea from the garden and the odd earthworm that i find.
Of course most people will not need anywhere near that ammount of food nor need to use some of the more carnivorous food but the basics of insect/insect larvea and shrimps should be a part of every fish keepers weekly feeding routine (with the exception of those who keep fish that require a more vegetable based diet).
oh my gosh!!!! how much money do you spend on fish food a week?!?! that looks like a ton!

i dont care, i refrigerate it anyway. mine stays open for months cos i only have 6 tiny fish who eat it and when it goes bad, it goes REALLY bad. :sick:

clutterydrawer said:
i dont care, i refrigerate it anyway. mine stays open for months cos i only have 6 tiny fish who eat it and when it goes bad, it goes REALLY bad. :sick:
months???
theres no way its still good for that long, even in the fridge.

you must be talking about something different because those packets arent very big.
mine stay open 3 days max (when i am only feeding it to the flounders and the cave tetras)

Looks like I should reconsider my fishies diet!
All they get are flakes... and for the bottom feeders sinking pellets :-(
This weekend Im going to my lfs so I will check out what frozen live foods they recommend.

Most reactions

Back