Fishless Cycling Clear-up

shockshockshad

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
This is the method I have used to cycle 5 tanks (from 2.5 to 75 gallon) and it has worked perfectly. I think it is the simplest and requires the least amount of work. First add your ammonia to raise the level to 5 to 6 ppm. Now you simply wait on the ammonia to drop back to around 1 ppm. Spend the time researching the fish you like and see if they are compatible with each other, with your tap pH, tank size, etc.

Test daily to see what the ammonia reading is. There is no use to test for anything else. Nitrite and nitrate won't be present until some ammonia has processed. Ammonia will raise your pH so no use to test it either. Once you see a drop in the ammonia, test for nitrite. There should be some present. When the ammonia drops back to about near zero (usually takes about a week), add enough to raise it back to about 3 to 4 ppm and begin testing the nitrite daily.

Every time the ammonia drops back to zero, raise it back up to 3 to 4 ppm and continue to check nitrites. The nitrite reading will go off the chart. NOTE FOR API TEST KIT USERS: When you add the drops, if they immediately turn purple in the bottom of the tube, your nitrites are off the chart high. You do not need to shake the tube and wait 5 minutes. If you do, the color will turn green as the nitrites are so high that there isn't a color to measure them with. Once the ammonia is dropping from around 4 ppm back to zero in 12 hours or less you have sufficient bacteria to handle the ammonia your fish load produces. Continue to add ammonia daily as you must feed the bacteria that have formed or they will begin to die off.

The nitrite spike will generally take about twice as long to drop to zero as did the ammonia spike. The reason for this is two-fold. First, the nitrite processing bacteria just develop slower than those that process ammonia. Second, you are adding more nitrite daily (every time you add ammonia, it is transformed into nitrite raising the level a little more) as opposed to the ammonia, which you only add once at the start and then waited on it to drop to zero. During this time, you should occasionally test for nitrate too. The presence of nitrate means that nitrite is being processed, completing the nitrogen cycle. The nitrate level will also go off the chart but you will take care of that with a large water change later. It will seem like forever before the nitrite finally falls back to zero but eventually, almost overnight, it will drop and you can celebrate. You are almost there. Once the bacteria are able to process 4 or 5 ppm of ammonia back to zero ammonia and nitrite in about 10 to 12 hours. You are officially cycled.

At this point, your tank will probably look terrible with brown algae everywhere and probably cloudy water. As I mentioned, the nitrate reading will also be off the chart. Nitrates can only be removed with water changes. Do a large water change, 75 to 90 percent, turn the heat down to the level the fish you have decided on will need, and you are ready to add your fish. You can safely add your full fish load as your tank will have enough bacteria built up to handle any waste they can produce

I am going to use this add and wait method. Just to make sure I doing it right, are these right in simpler terms?

get everything running for 24 hours. Put ammonia in until its 5-6ppm. Wait and test daily untill its 1ppm, which usually takes a week. When ammonia is at 1ppm, test for nitrite. Bring ammonia back to 4ppm. Test daily for both ammonia and nitrite. When ammonia is at 1ppm again, put more ammonia in. Keep adding ammonia and testing for nitrite untill ammonia is being processed into nitrite quickly, about 10-12 hours. When it is, your nitrite should be very,very high. Just keep adding ammonia, about to 4ppm, untill nitrite is at 0. that should take another 2 weeks. Now your nitrate should be very high. Do a very big water change about 75-90 percent, and now I'm cycled.

Those are just my version of the intructions. Are they right?

Sounds fine to me. Although, I bring the Ammonia back upto 4ppm each day.

Might be best for you to see if you can arrange to get some mature filter media before starting out. Its kicked started mine up.

That's pretty much it. As the bacteria begin to process the ammonia in 10 to 12 hours and the nitrite has gone off the chart, you can just add ammonia once a day. you don't have to add it every time it drops to 0. The bacteria will be fine for the time that there appears to be no ammonia in the water.

The time frame varies (my cycles have all been roughly 3 weeks) from 2 weeks to 2 months.

Thank you. I just started my tank today. Got the gravel in, laterite in, and a piece of driftwood, and rocks. The tank will have 8 harlequins, 6 cories, and a banded/indian gourami. How do you post pictures? I know how you click add image, but there is no website for my pictures, they are only saved in "my documents" on my computer.

You would need to set up an account at a photo hosting site like Photobucket, Snapfish, etc. Upload your photos there and then copy the URL link. Use the
ImageButton.jpg
button above to put your photos on.

I put my pics on snapfish, and got the URL, copied and pasted it in little to type it in, pressed submit, and it said "that URL is invalid. I tried several times, never working.

Ive never used Snapfish so I'm not sure how it works. I've never had any problems with Photobucket although there is a 1mb size restriction.

Here are my photos from yesterday! They just have driftwood, rocks, and 1mm gravel. The wood chips are to mark where I will put plants, but I took them out this morning, because I realized that they will leak tannins, and I would have taken them out anyway!

aquariumbefore002-1.jpg

aquariumbefore005.jpg

aquariumbefore002.jpg

Here are my pictures from today. Got water in and filters going. About to cycle. Just waiting for the heater to go up to 84! Its stuck at 71 :angry: The little filter inlet in the middle of the big inlets is my hospital tank filter. I need bacteria on that too, of course!

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

Grrrr! Its been almost 2 hours and its still at 71! I guess I will just wait a little while longer.

What wattage heater do you have and what size is the tank? If the temp hasn't changed in 2 hours and you have it turned to the 80s then it's not working.

Well, I just checked and its at about 75, but it took 3 hours. My tank is 30 gallons, and I have a 150 watt heater. I filled my tank about a month ago, and then emptied it because I thought I didn't need to cycle; I just put hardy fish in, then get some more in 3 weeks. The heater worked then. It heated the tank in 1 1/2 hours. I put my hand on the heater 15 minutes ago and it was hot, but not very. I don't know whats wrong!

Most reactions

Back