Fishheaded's 10g Journal

Update: Added a new yellow fiji leather :)
leat.jpg

Hey all, my 64w compact fluorescent lighting needs replacement bulbs, so I thought that I should just upgrade my lights. The thing is I am planning on getting a 20g long in the future. So is there a light that I could use on my 10g that will be adequate for a 20long later on? I do not want to have to replace my lighting when I switch over. (I have lps and softies currently in the 10, but I want to start sps.) thanks guys...

The lighting market is heading toward Full Spectrum LED's which are cheaper to run, have less of a carbon footprint and bulb life is much greater. The Mfgs. produce these lamps in a myriad of combinations to suit (daylight and actinic and combos). Maybe this would be a consideration for you. We have Aquaray's in Europe so you would need to find out your leading Mfg. in the States. Look up the unit sizes and see if you could adapt one for your future requirements. (Maybe use it/them diagonally across your smaller existing tank)
Regards
BigC

The lighting market is heading toward Full Spectrum LED's which are cheaper to run, have less of a carbon footprint and bulb life is much greater. The Mfgs. produce these lamps in a myriad of combinations to suit (daylight and actinic and combos). Maybe this would be a consideration for you. We have Aquaray's in Europe so you would need to find out your leading Mfg. in the States. Look up the unit sizes and see if you could adapt one for your future requirements. (Maybe us it/them diagonally across your smaller existing tank)
Regards
BigC
Thanks BigC :) . I will definitely start researching, will this accommodate sps?

Never mind on the outer orbit lights. I think I am going to go with a 20" 150w medal halide. Do you guys think 150w will be overkill on a 10g?

It'll be a little overkill on a 10g, but just right for a 20...

It'll be a little overkill on a 10g, but just right for a 20...

How bout a 70w for 10g?
Also, newb question: If I were to buy a 20" 70w sunpod, later could I switch the bulb to a 150w or would I have to purchase a whole new fixture?

You'd need a new fixture. Realistically how long before you have the 20g?

Well then it's really a cost-benefit analysis. In the end it might be cheaper to buy the 70watt halide, sell it a year later, and buy a 150 when you do move to the 20 long

Well then it's really a cost-benefit analysis. In the end it might be cheaper to buy the 70watt halide, sell it a year later, and buy a 150 when you do move to the 20 long
True. Well here is the plan:
-Switch from 10g flat back hex to regular 10g AGA
-Switch substrate to Fiji pink sand (do I need to cycle LS when I switch?)
-Switch lighting from 64w pc to 70w sunpod.
-Switch maxijet400 to two nano koralias
-Switch from hydrometer to refractometer
-Get SPS! and start dosing and grab some test kits (maybe B-ionic 2part buffer, any suggestions?)
In the mean time, I switched the bulbs on my pc lighting. :)

Most reactions

Back