Fish123Fish's Juwel Rio 125 Marine Reef

yes you can add your cuc in batches. its best to build up your cuc slowly. can i suggest that for the fist batch you get
4 turbo snails
5 cerith snails
5 nassarius sails
4 Hermit crabs

and 2nd batch
5 nassarius snails
2 hermit crabs
1 emerald crab

and 3rd batch
2 shrimps
and any thing else you think you might need more of eg maybe more snails :good:

Quick water update:

Ammonia 0.6
Nitrate 0
Nirite 0
pH 8.5
Temp 79
SG 1.024

Should I do that 50% water change now?

I'm a little confused by your water stats - how about getting them checked at your lfs?

Can my CUC be broken down into two batches?

yes indeed

And Seffie: Still no luck on the TFF fantasy football :( :no:

Give this a try - a Mod moved the original so that might be what caused it :crazy:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/336538-why-have-so-few-people-signed-up-for-this-seasons/

Thanks Harry! Will try to replicate what you said with the availability of my LFS.

:crazy: Just out of curiosity I tried to find the use by date on my testing kit.... September 2009 :crazy: :lol: :blush:

Just used my 2nd set that my brother nicked :lol:

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 5
Nitate - 5
pH - 8
SG - 1.024
temp - 79f

5 seems to be the last number on my test kit where you offer up the colour against the chart. It is an almost clear pinky colour.

Ah, thats a bit better :good:

You are in your cycle, expect to see the ammonia stay at 0, then the nitrite to drop to 0 and then a big rise in nitrate

Seffie x

Brilliant :)

Would you think I would be able to get my CUC this week?

One more question: How have my corals and life in the aquarium survived the cycle considering its pretty toxic?

Well, looks like you are having a mini cycle (so your stats are not as high)- as soon as that nitrate starts to climb you should probably consider doing a large water change for the sake of the coral, I wouldnt normally suggest this as like to see a nice big spike first, however as you have the corals it is better to be safe than sorry.

After doing the water change, leave for 24 hours and then test again - using the right test kit :p and lets see what we get. I suspect you may be getting your cuc at the weekend, but remember, patience is a virtue in this game, so lets wait fo rthe stats :good:

Seffie x

Okay so when Nitrates get high, water change and test again after 24hrs. I'll keep up my regular testing (with the right kit :p)

After the water change I'm looking for little of not no nirtates in the water. Then possibly get CUC in the weekend :)

when your nitrates are 10 or below then you ready for your cuc :good: sorry if you already know this :lol:

Yeah thats fine :) haha do know that but it never hurts to say it again :)

Will be getting my CUC this thursday or Saturday :) Going to do a big water change tomorrow 50%

I have also started getting some brown diatoms :) never thought I would be excited about algae :lol:

I have also spotted some starfish too. The are small 1cm in diatmeter and have 5 fingers and are green on their backs. I think they could be asterina (spelling) are the harmful as I think some eat coral :no:

there are a green type and they eat fish. but the chance of them growing big is very unlikely. :good: also i wouldn't of thought it would be that type.

Haha thanks for getting me worried guys! :crazy:

I'll try to get a picture of them if I can. They are mostly nocternal and I have only spotted 2.

I discovered my snail is also nocternal. Is there any chance of it being a danger to anything?

I also have a 20cm long britsle worm :/ I managed to spot it after waking up in the night and thinking "i'll suprise the tank to see what goes on at night and when the lights went on there he was :blink: lol

Tests today:

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0.1
Nitrate 5
SG 1.024
Temp 79f

Should I do the water change now?

With those figures you really have no need to - but lets just wait 48 hours and see if that nitrate holds steady at <10, if it does then its cuc time :good: If you dont get the high nitrate spike and I'm thinking you might not, then you will not need a large water change

Seffie x

wait until the nitrite goes to 0 then do the water change :good:

Ok, so if I test again tomorrow and everything is low (0) Then should I just do a 10% or even a 10% today just to get some clean water in there as I can only get a skimmer at the end of this month?

EDIT: I also have loads of brown diatoms all over my snad bed/rocks. Why has this occured?

Most reactions

Back