Fish123Fish's Juwel Rio 125 Marine Reef

Yeah its quite a sad story. But as morri said its a minute number but it is on our levels to help.

Yay I have ordered my first bits and bobs :)

Tank, salt, powerheads and substrate :)

Stay tuned!

EDIT: I will have pics up when they arrive :) hopefully Monday-Wednesday.

:lol: Ah I know!! And when they arrive you have to open them really carefully savouring the moment. Then when they're open it's time to get excited about the next delivery!

This is what came today:

- 7kg of instant ocean salt
- Caribsea crushed coral 10lbs
- Argamax argonite sand 30lbs
- 2 Koralia Powerheads 1600lph

Tomorrow:

The big one: Juwel Rio 125!
I could have got it today but I was working 9-5 and didn't want to miss the delivery becuase it's like opening a can of worms if your do :lol:

Should be down to Maidenhead Aquatics on Saturday to get some Live Rock! Woop!

Well I spent all yesterday and this morning playing with my tank!

Things I have done:

- I have finally managed to take the in built juwel filter which has to have been the hardest thing so far :lol:

- I have sprayed the back of the tank black and it has come up really nicely :) well pleased!

- The Koralia powerheads are in (the magnetic design make placement so much easier.

- The heater is in and set to 25' c

- I've pre-mixed the substrate (the sand and crushed coral) looks really natural.

Things that will be going on today:

First batch of LR 5kg will be getting another 5kg on saturday.

RO water - 130 litres of it.

I am indeed seffie!

The hardest part of the whole day was finding water containers! Looked everywhere and finally found some un Carters.

So I have myself 50l of RO water :) Its swisshing around in my tank with powerheads and heater trying to get it up to temp so I can start the salting :)

Ooo and I got myself a refractometer :) neat little gadget :)

Will be calibrating it later :) after work :(

One question:

The guy at my lFS said I would need to have an external filter. Quite a few of these journals don't have one :/... Your view. He swore by it 100%. I don't know if it was a marketing gimick to sell there stuff or what.

Your input would be great!

Thanks.

Tom.

i ran one of mine since i had nowwhere to put it :p, but idk if it helped with the recycle progress when i moved, im assuming most likely it is so im using as a back up case something happens.

but yeah im pretty sure you dont NEED one.

Live rock is your filter, the onky reason you might use an external would be to run, phosphate etc remover - so yeah, he just wanted you to spend your money :crazy:

Seffie x

I thought that might be the case :lol: the worst part was my Mum was there and as I was saying I had an old external filter at home just to shut him up but then Mum chipped in "huh, I don't recall you having a filter at home" :crazy: Bit of an awkward moment so I had to improvise and make a story of lies :lol:

I had a feeling that the Live Rock was the filtration and I said I would be running a protein skimmer for the organic matter but hey. I suppose he can't force me into buying :lol:

The tank has about 50l of salted water in there at 1.030 SG I got a bit confused in how much salt I was supposed to add but it was my first pop so it should get better and I have another 75 l of water still to go so I have a chance to make it better. :)

In the perfect world what would I need all my levels to be?

Obviously N, N and A down to as far as I can get them.
But temp, SG etc? As these bits are all new to me.

Mums, you gota luv em :p

if you are going to have corals of any sort (and you will!) aim for 1.025/1.026
Temp wise - most seem to run at about 27C, mine often runs at 28

Seffie x

ps there is a thread somewhere about temp - I will see if I can find it and bump it for you :good:

They can't help it :) its built in.

Oh okay, I ve just tested my salinity again and its seemed to come down to about 1.024/1.025
Does this happen? I put the salt in last night.

I'll try to keep it at 1.025 as it's in the middle :p

Ah I see, that makes sense becuase I have been trying to get the temp down from 81f and its now at about 77f the SG is at 1.024.

If the temp goes down does the SG go up?

Most reactions

Back