Fish rescue rainbow shark

Not leucomelas.

Those dreadful spotted ones grrrrrr
:rofl: My cory knowledgeable friend on another forum said almost exactly the same thing about the spotted cories being tricky!
Here is what they thought from the previous photos, when the cories were stressed and washed out, going to show them the new pics now, but based on the first batch of photos, she said

"The bigger one is corydoras leopardus, similar to c102 except the markings aren't as bold, thinner spots/reticulations than c102

The others aren't leucomelas though either.
The spot pattern forms a sloppy row down the lateral line of these fish, which is not consistent to leucomelas (the spotted cories are a pain in the behind), but look good for corydoras agassizii"

:rofl: My cory knowledgeable friend on another forum said almost exactly the same thing about the spotted cories being tricky!
Here is what they thought from the previous photos, when the cories were stressed and washed out, going to show them the new pics now, but based on the first batch of photos, she said

"The bigger one is corydoras leopardus, similar to c102 except the markings aren't as bold, thinner spots/reticulations than c102

The others aren't leucomelas though either.
The spot pattern forms a sloppy row down the lateral line of these fish, which is not consistent to leucomelas (the spotted cories are a pain in the behind), but look good for corydoras agassizii"
Yes or C.ambiacus

Yes or C.ambiacus
I'm very glad I have you and that friend on another forum to ask! I wouldn't have the first clue when it comes to these spotty cories! So many similar ones and I wouldn't know where to start. I hadn't even heard the names before of the ones you've both mentioned.
Do you think fish one and the similar sized one are the same species? Or possibly they're different species from each other as well? The bigger one stands out as definitely being different, in markings as well as size. But fish two is also slightly more orange than fish one, and the head looks a slightly different shape to me? But I don't have an eye for telling the differences at all.

I'm very glad I have you and that friend on another forum to ask! I wouldn't have the first clue when it comes to these spotty cories! So many similar ones and I wouldn't know where to start. I hadn't even heard the names before of the ones you've both mentioned.
Do you think fish one and the similar sized one are the same species? Or possibly they're different species from each other as well? The bigger one stands out as definitely being different, in markings as well as size. But fish two is also slightly more orange than fish one, and the head looks a slightly different shape to me? But I don't have an eye for telling the differences at all.
We made an agreement on the other forum that we would call any unknown spotted cory C.ambiacus hahaha (cause there are so many variaties of those)

I would not think any of those are C. leopardus, this species is long-nosed. I had one for many years in with the other cories.

I would not think any of those are C. leopardus, this species is long-nosed. I had one for many years in with the other cories.
Any ideas what species they might be then? I really want to know! They're proving to be a bit of a mystery. I'm gonna have to join Corydoras World I think...

Any ideas what species they might be then? I really want to know! They're proving to be a bit of a mystery. I'm gonna have to join Corydoras World I think...

There are so many spotted species, and I have not kept up with the last two decades of the newly discovered species. You could join the CorydorasWorld Facebook page, it is free, and Ian Fuller is quick to answer questions on identification if you follow the rules (!). Here's the link, you need to request membership. There are over 7000 members including some of the pre-eminent cory ichthyologists, and they are extremely helpful and friendly.

T
There are so many spotted species, and I have not kept up with the last two decades of the newly discovered species. You could join the CorydorasWorld Facebook page, it is free, and Ian Fuller is quick to answer questions on identification if you follow the rules (!). Here's the link, you need to request membership. There are over 7000 members including some of the pre-eminent cory ichthyologists, and they are extremely helpful and friendly.

Thank you so much!! Sent a request and read the rules carefully first :D
I do want to join Corydoras World properly, I've talked with you about it before, have so much respect for Ian Fuller and his work. But I'm already struggling to keep up with this forum and another one, lol

T

Thank you so much!! Sent a request and read the rules carefully first :D
I do want to join Corydoras World properly, I've talked with you about it before, have so much respect for Ian Fuller and his work. But I'm already struggling to keep up with this forum and another one, lol

One thing I like about it is that new posts come in your email, so you see what is posted without going to the site and scrolling through posts. When you're approved, read the rules about posts. There are some topics verboten, like gravel for substrates (!) and posts must have a title or they will be rejected.

There are some topics verbotten, like gravel for substrates (!) and posts must have a title or they will be rejected.

That's actually wonderful to hear! Have more than had my fill of that debate here... making some topics off limits makes sense!

That's actually wonderful to hear! Have more than had my fill of that debate here... making some topics off limits makes sense!

Well, it is Ian's site and the evidence is out there, so there is no point in continually arguing over what is irrefutable fact and leading people astray.

It's up to the shops to provide good and accurate information about fish they sell. I used to do it and it wasn't hard at all.

If they don't want to take back fish that have grown too big, then they shouldn't sell fish that get big. Likewise if they don't want to take back livebearers because they have produced hundreds of young, they shouldn't sell gravid females.

Shops have no valid arguments to refuse to take unwanted fish (assuming the fish is healthy). If the shop supplies the fish and the customer dies, the shop should take the fish back if nobody else wants them.

If a shop sells baby clown loaches, the shop should tell the customers how big the loaches get and how big the tank needs to be. If a shop doesn't tell the customer that, the shop should take the fish back if they get too big and the customer doesn't want them.

The shops have a duty of care to take unwanted fishes otherwise people dump the fish in the local creek. Then the government gets all upset about it and blames every fish keeper out there. Shops need to get off their backsides and inform their customers about things instead of just giving them a bunch of incompatible fishes and taking their money.

I rarely had any fish brought back to me by my customers because I informed them about fish size and what would be ok in their tanks. We had lots of young fish that were bred by the customers but very few of the original fish we sold got brought back. It's not hard to do and shops need to look at better training for their staff, and providing good information to their customers.

Good customer service, good information, and honesty will keep customers coming back. You give a customer bs and they won't come back. Shops need to accept responsibility for their staff and the advice they give. If they can't do the job, then get someone who can.
Would you buy back a fish that you hadn't sold to the customer in the first place?

We made an agreement on the other forum that we would call any unknown spotted cory C.ambiacus hahaha (cause there are so many variaties of those)
:lol:

My friend on the other forum is now leaning towards all three being different species! That is based on my terrible photos though, so will be trying to get clearer photos! :D It's interesting that the previous owners wound up with three very separate but very similar species of cory. I'm not surprised when someone has all different species of cory that are obviously different, where they shopped for and bought one bronze, one peppered, one panda etc etc. Disappointed, but not surprised when people throw together 'Noah's Ark' tanks. But these being so similar to each other suggests they probably didn't buy them all from the same tank at the same time, and at least tried to get the same species, but wound up with three different ones. I might have to ask them about it, we're in email contact.

Most reactions

Back