Fish Quiz

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Good work, Inspector!

sherlock-holmes.jpg

It's been over 24 hours so I will volunteer and ask the next question.  

This fish is one of the ugliest fish on the planet. It's has the look of a big heaping bowl of  jello.   From the front it kind of looks like Jimmy Durante with a shaved head and a big frown on his face.   It is  to native to the ocean floor off the coasts of Australia and Tasmania.  It prefers very deep water--even lower than 2000 feet.   It is around 12 inches long when grown.  It  one of the laziest fish around as he lets ocean currents move him around instead of swimming like most fish.  You could call it ugly, or you could call it miserable, or you could call it just plain weird.

Name this sad looking poor excuse for a fish.

yes it's a blobfish

how did you figure that out so quick

blobfish_400.jpg

Yes--malfunction has the next question

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD4q3leE5Uw

Well it was the ugliest fish I could think of! Without that clue I wouldn't have got it.

This'll be an easy one as I need to go to sleep....name the lakes from which the boesemani rainbowfish originate

Fishmanic said:
This fish is one of the ugliest fish on the planet. It's has the look of a big heaping bowl of  jello.

To be fair, most of the pictures I've seen of blobfish are dead specimens removed from the water and lying on a hard surface at atmospheric pressure - not exactly how they might really appear in their natural habitat.  Especially considering their bodies are developed for the intense pressure of ocean floors.  I imagine most creatures will probably look a bit miserable when subjected to intensely different external pressures.

That's a very good observation daize, maybe that's why it's jelliton like, so it can sustain it's body at the pressure easier.

LOL.  I'd really like to see more pictures of it alive and in its natural environs, though.

Wikipedia says "Due to its low density flesh, the blobfish's shape is very different when it is out of water."

And also, for anyone interested:
"They live at depths between 600 and 1,200 m (2,000 and 3,900 ft) where the pressure is several dozen times higher than at sea level, which would likely make gas bladders inefficient for maintaining buoyancy.[1] Instead, the flesh of the blobfish is primarily a gelatinous mass with a density slightly less than water; this allows the fish to float above the sea floor without expending energy on swimming. Its relative lack of muscle is not a disadvantage as it primarily swallows edible matter that floats in front of it such as deep-ocean crustaceans."

Most reactions

Back