Fish Quiz

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishmanic said:
There are four parts to this question about goldfish:

1) what color are goldfish?  

2) What fish were they originally bred from.    

3) What is the largest true  goldfiish ever captured?   

4)  name this type of goldfish?

240px-Celestial_eye_goldfish.jpg

Let's put the time limit on asking or answering a question to 12 hours---that should be sufficient----all in favor say Aye

You changed the question! :eek:

Aye.

Aye. 

Goldfishes come in many colors I believe. I myself have a white one, an orange one and a black one. 

They are carp. Carassius auratus. They look like crucial carp though, less colorful. 

largest goldfish was 65 lbs and 49 inches long, caught in KY. 

And that fella is a celestial eyed goldfish. 

Baccus--- I need to know all colors a goldfish can be.  You got a few of the colors but there's more.

20kg is wrong for the largest TRUE goldfish ever captured.   Carp is correct and celestial goldfish is correct although it's exact name is celestial eye goldfish.  

You're almost there.  

I reread the article. The one I could find labled true goldfish was 5 lbs caught in the UK by a 16 year old. 

Hm all colors eh. Lesse you have gold ( orange) white, black, silver, pearlscale I believe, tri color, bi color, grey, uh, butterfly pattern, and thats all I can think of off hand. 

5 lbs is correct for the largest true goldfish ever captured.  Picture is the 2nd goldfisn toward the bottom of the page.   The first one is not a true goldfish.   http://www.bizarbin.com/biggest-goldfish-ever-caught/

As far as colors go,  I came up with various combinations of white, yellow, orange, red, brown, and black are known.   This is the link where I found the colors and other information.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldfish

Ok Majerah,   you're up---make my day :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mevxenJ6Mtc

Fishmanic said:
5 lbs is correct for the largest true goldfish ever captured.  Picture is the 2nd goldfisn toward the bottom of the page.   The first one is not a true goldfish.   http://www.bizarbin.com/biggest-goldfish-ever-caught/

As far as colors go,  I came up with various combinations of white, yellow, orange, red, brown, and black are known.   This is the link where I found the colors and other information.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldfish

Like I said... it depends. :p

Alrighty, I have it. 

What is the smallest betta species?

Give me the species and complex name and size :) 

Bonus points if you can tell me if it is a paternal mouthbrooder or bubblenester. :p

Jeepers, you expect us to answer that without using Google?

Well, since it's now nearly 24 hours, I don't think anyone will know it, unless Wildbetta comes along, who just knows everything.

As far as I can see with my search on SF, the smallest appears to be B.Persephone, a member of the Coccina complex, max SL 31mm, and it's a bubblenester.

Siamese Fighting Fish 
2 to 3 inches.
Bubblenester

the_lock_man said:

Well, since it's now nearly 24 hours, I don't think anyone will know it, unless Wildbetta comes along, who just knows everything.

As far as I can see with my search on SF, the smallest appears to be B.Persephone, a member of the Coccina complex, max SL 31mm, and it's a bubblenester.
Very close, same complex. It is a new species, BTW. 

majerah1 said:

Hmmm. Is it a described species, or undescribed? According to SF, the most recently described species in the Coccina complex is B.Hendra, but this shown as being larger than B.Persephone. The same applies to the next latest species, B. uberis.

However, according to another site, an undescribed species, B. sp. "apiapi" is apparently the smallest in the Coccina complex, but no sites I have found actually list its size - presumably because nobody yet knows.

the_lock_man said:

Hmmm. Is it a described species, or undescribed? According to SF, the most recently described species in the Coccina complex is B.Hendra, but this shown as being larger than B.Persephone. The same applies to the next latest species, B. uberis.

However, according to another site, an undescribed species, B. sp. "apiapi" is apparently the smallest in the Coccina complex, but no sites I have found actually list its size - presumably because nobody yet knows.

Yes, B. Apiapi. The size is under an inch. A breeder told me it is just smaller than Hendra, but not by much. 

Most reactions

Back