Fish Dying

Miamisportsfan45

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I lost my guppy a few moments ago. I was looking through the tank, looked all over for it... Couldn't find her anywhere. I moved everything in the tank, still no sign of her. I checked the filter, there she was. How common is this, how does this happen, and how can this be prevented?

You have to cover the intake of your filter. For a guppy an intake basket should be fine (I'm surprised one didn't come with the filter) or alternately you can tie sponge or even a piece of nylon from a stocking around it. Mesh would also work.

Something had to weaken him to the point where he was able to be sucked into the filter. Sorry I'm not more help on this one. I would love to be able to tell you what has happened, but there are alot of variables and it could be any combination of things.

You need to get a liquid test kit, as we discussed in your other post, and check your ammonia and nitrite level!

I guarantee that one, if not both are really high!

Doing a fish-in cycle for 2 weeks now, and not one, or very little, water changes = high levels of ammonia and nitrite.

Use the strip test for now that your parents have, until you can get an API master kit, to check the ammonia and nitrite levels!

This is why a fish-in cycle is so hard on you and your fish, you need to constantly do water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrite down until enough beneficial bacteria colonize in the filter to process the ammonia and nitrite.

-FHM

I should probably buy a new/different filter, shouldn't I?

The filter is not the problem. If the fish in your tank are strong and healthy, then they can easily steer clear of your filter at a moments notice.

But since your ammonia and/or nitrite is high, this will cause the fish to be extremely weak, which would not allow it to swim away from the filter.

But I saw a picture of your filter in your other post, and I would recommend you go out and get an AquaClear 20 power filter! They are really good filters!

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754143

Wonderful filters!

-FHM

I should probably buy a new/different filter, shouldn't I?

The filter is not the problem. If the fish in your tank are strong and healthy, then they can easily steer clear of your filter at a moments notice.

But since your ammonia and/or nitrite is high, this will cause the fish to be extremely weak, which would not allow it to swim away from the filter.

But I saw a picture of your filter in your other post, and I would recommend you go out and get an AquaClear 20 power filter! They are really good filters!

<a href="http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754068" target="_blank">http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754068</a>

The only thing is, I don't understand why this filter is $89.99? I can get the same one at my LFS for like $28.00! I would suggest you go to petsmart, or another fish store and have a look at this filter!

Wonderful filters!

-FHM

As well as extremely expensive. I'm still in High School, without a job. Though, I am trying to get a job. I'll see what happens with this 20 gallon tank I hope to be receiving soon... Wish I could get the money back for my fish before they all die though. I ended up spending $30 thinking my tank would be perfect and good to go, then found all of this out..

Those are still both very expensive for me for the time being... =/

But thanks.

Sorry to hear that.

I would try to get the test kit though, just because you already have a filter.

Would your parents help you out at all?

This is why your fish are dying, because of ammonia and/or nitrite poisoning!

You need a test kit to test the ammonia and nitrite levels in your tank ASAP!

-FHM

A second filter isn't a bad idea, but is not as important as a test kit, which I'm assuming you can't afford right now either. You can purchase liquid ammonia and nitrite tests separate from the kit, but that will still cost somewhere in the range of $16.

Since water is cheap (and I'm guessing your parents aren't going to make you chip in for the water bill anyway), you may want to consider doing 3 partial waterchanges throughout the day to be on the safe side. Once in the morning before school, one after school, and one before bed. Feed the remaining fish very lightly, perhaps every other day. While this will certainly be a bit time consuming, without any way to test your water on a regular basis, you're stuck either changing as much water as possible, or risking the fish dying or being permanently damaged.

Fish-in cycling is a royal pain which is one of the major reasons I advise all people to avoid it. Trust me, I know first hand how much it sucks. Once it's over however, the workload decreases dramatically, and the reward is worth the effort. Think of it like house breaking a puppy, with less pee stains and gnaw marks on the furniture. XD

Sounds like a good idea until you can get a test kit.

Just do a couple large water changes everyday. This will hopefully keep your ammonia and nitrite down to safe levels.

-FHM

Most reactions

Back