Fish Dying 12 Hours After Setup

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I was here in January, did it all wrong under advice from my LFS, thankfully you will come out the otherside too and a lot wiser.

Unfortunately I lost fish too, but once I started the daily water testing and water changes I lost no more. I will warn you though it took about 6 weeks for my tank to cycle as I had 8 fish in my tank to cycle.

This is a great site I have learn't loads and you get great advice here.

....So you Pro's....be kind to us newbies, as we don't always get the right advice and lead us up the right path please !!

sorry to hear of your losses, its especially hard when your new and have been given the wrong advice from a store, but your in the best place possbile now, you will get all the help you need :good:

whilst your going through your cycle only feed the fish very little every 3rd day to help reduce ammonia

sorry to hear of your losses, its especially hard when your new and have been given the wrong advice from a store, but your in the best place possbile now, you will get all the help you need :good:

whilst your going through your cycle only feed the fish very little every 3rd day to help reduce ammonia

Since the original posting I have done 2 50% changes 12 hours apart. I have 2 fish left, 1 guppy and 1 molly. I am wondering whether I should get another 1 of each variety so that I have 2 pair. I would think this would be good for the behavioral well being of the current fish. Your advice?

Thanks

Have you read the cycling topics? If you have then you will have tested your water and will know not to add anymore fish until you are getting 0,0 readings for ammonia and nitrite.

Have you read the cycling topics? If you have then you will have tested your water and will know not to add anymore fish until you are getting 0,0 readings for ammonia and nitrite.

I have read them, but I did not see where it laid out how many fish you should start with. Since I am only 36h in to the Fish in Cycle, I would assume that I am essentially at the beginning. So is your recommendation to stick with the 2 fish for presumably at least several weeks (or longer until I get the 0,0 readings?

If you're fish in cycling you should really start with as few fish as possible. That's the problem with a fish in cycle really... no fish is a 'safe' amount.

But now you're on the road of the fish in cycle, and seeing as they're not shoaling species then I wouldn't even consider buying anymore fish until you're seeing 0,0 for ammonia and nitrites.

Then you have to be careful not to more than double the bioload each time you add fish. So once you're hitting double zero you're looking at adding a max of say... another guppy and molly like you were suggesting now. :)

If you're fish in cycling you should really start with as few fish as possible. That's the problem with a fish in cycle really... no fish is a 'safe' amount.

But now you're on the road of the fish in cycle, and seeing as they're not shoaling species then I wouldn't even consider buying anymore fish until you're seeing 0,0 for ammonia and nitrites.

Then you have to be careful not to more than double the bioload each time you add fish. So once you're hitting double zero you're looking at adding a max of say... another guppy and molly like you were suggesting now. :)
Thanks

is another option to re-home the fish (possibly back the LFS or someone local to you) and do the fish out cycle which carries less risk to fish / emotional stress for you?
Miles

Most reactions

Back