Fireflies

We don't have fireflies in my part of the US, but I have fond memories of visiting my Grandparent's house in the summer and catching them in the backyard.
hehe.gif

I read some where that some parts of America they actually get jipped in the firefly department, becuase they have species of firefly that are active during the day instead of being magical and mystical by flashing at night.
After photos I release the fireflies so they can continue on thier merry way, especailly since it is suspected that most fireflies might only have a 3 day life as an actual adutl beetle.

The marvel of bioluminescence is nothing to feel 'sad' about as you enjoy it.  The natural world has so many wonders and pleasures, I find it 'sad' that more people take it for granted and don't take the time to slow down every so often to 'stop and smell the roses' (so to speak).

I got a fire pit for Christmas this year, and I can't wait for the weather to turn back to 'pleasant' so that my family and I can enjoy that outside time together again.  I have some work to do in finishing off the sitting area, but the major pieces are in place.   (Well, except for the actual seating area.  We have only folding chairs out there at the moment.)

Baccus said:
I read some where that some parts of America they actually get jipped in the firefly department, becuase they have species of firefly that are active during the day instead of being magical and mystical by flashing at night.
We actually do have some bugs that look like fireflies, but they don't glow and are active during the day.

Here where I live, every time we go to see fireworks for Independence Day, I get eaten alive by mosquitoes and I get to see fireflies GALORE!

Eagels no fear of me ever bowing to Publilc pressure and being "ho hum" about anything nature and the great outdoors has to offer I was raised to be captivated by morning dew trapped on a spiders web, to watch with excitment and awe a lightening storm and just be spell bound in almost any creature I should come across.

I would love to be able to track down some of the glow in the dark fungi, I think they would be the prefect addition to my bush house, but alas its not something commonly sold over here (and I cant import any) and I suspect that almost any where in town is going to have too much light pollution to really get to see the fungi glowing.

Sounds pretty cool Baccus.

Last fall we saw a huge owl sitting up on top of our cedar tree while enjoying the fire.  He/She just sat there for about an hour... and was perfectly camouflaged in the twilight.  If it weren't that my wife noticed the owl, the moon was directly behind it, and she was able to point out the exact silhouette, I'd have never seen him/her.  Watching it take off and soar out across the other backyards was amazing... just a HUGE wingspan.  

Oooohhh that sounds cool!

One time, when my family was on vacation "out in the sticks"(literally in the woods in a sparsely populated area) we were sitting at the cabin's firepit. I heard quite the rustling, then looked and saw two glistening eyes reflecting off of the firelight. It was so cool, yet the creepiest thing I have ever endured. Lol...

Owls are amazing creatures and their silent flight is wonderous to experience first hand. I have seen footage of barn owls in summer in England where the evening light stays for hours, of barn owls hunting in the daylight. That I think would be amazing to see. Sadly around here any owls (even night jars) that dare show their faces in daylight the crows usually find and will kill if possible I do enjoy seeing kestrels hovering over fields hunting mice and bombing down to make a catch.
I think everyone needs to be immersed in the wonders of nature from the earliest age possible, and that way they will never tire of this world.
It doesn't have to be the big grand migrations of wildebeest across Africa, my own Mum used to take us kids outside and watch with us the simple things like watching a butterfly hatch from a chrysalis or a cicada haul itself out of the dirt clamber up a tree or building and then split out of its ground dwelling shell and transform into an amazing patterned flying creature.

Speaking of butterflies, once when me and my siblings were really little, my mom got a butterfly hatchery thing and we got to see them hatch out of their chrysalises. But we had to let them go. I don't think I ever got to hold one, sadly. It was so wondrous to see them hatch and then watch them fly away to the south!

And the experience and memories have stayed with you
yes.gif
  ,​that is what I think is so important for everyone of this era. And you don't have to go to the furthest reaches of the earth to find that something amazing, it can be in your own backyard and town.

My challenge to everyone is to find that little something that nature fleetingly gives you that inspires you to pause in your busy day and wipe your mind of worries and just think Wow.
For me yesterday at work it was accidentally finding a wild nest of Pacific Black duck eggs that I almost mowed.

Most reactions

Back