Finished setting up my tank!

As far as adding fish, do a base line water test to see what your current water reading are.(should be 0) Find out your water type so we can help you pick out the fish that will be healthy in your water type. Then you are ready to go. I can go over the silent cycle process with you if you like then.
I'll look at my water type tomorrow and let you all know! :D

I'll look at my water type tomorrow and let you all know! :D
Make sure you get the number and the unit of measurement:) so we know

As for when to add fish, wait several days and keep an eye on the plants. Once you are sure they are not about to die but showing signs of growing, then it is OK to get fish.

Try and call your local water provider or check their web site and list the GH (general hardness) and PH. So we can help you find the fish that work out best for your water.
The water hardness ranges from 12-22gpg.

I can't find anything about the PH but I tested my tap water PH and it's 6.

Make sure you get the number and the unit of measurement:) so we know
The water hardness ranges from 12-22gpg.

I can't find anything about the PH but I tested my tap water PH and it's 6.

12 to 22 gpg is a huge range. It converts to 11.5 - 21 dH and 205 - 376 ppm.

Is it possible to narrow it down?

Your pH, can you test both freshly run tap water and some that has been allowed to stand for 24 hours, please. You may well find they are different. With hard water it is not unknown for water suppliers to add something to lower the pH to prevent limescale deposits in the pipe work. This will gas out when the water is left to stand.
It is unusual to have such a low pH with hard water; you may find it goes up after standing. However, I do need to check - do you use a water softener? That would lower the pH of the water coming from the tap.

12 to 22 gpg is a huge range. It converts to 11.5 - 21 dH and 205 - 376 ppm.

Is it possible to narrow it down?

Your pH, can you test both freshly run tap water and some that has been allowed to stand for 24 hours, please. You may well find they are different. With hard water it is not unknown for water suppliers to add something to lower the pH to prevent limescale deposits in the pipe work. This will gas out when the water is left to stand.
It is unusual to have such a low pH with hard water; you may find it goes up after standing. However, I do need to check - do you use a water softener? That would lower the pH of the water coming from the tap.
I don't think it is possible for me to narrow down my water hardness.

As for my pH, I tested freshly run tap water and tap water that has stood for 24 hours and the results are the same, both 6. I am positive I don't use a water softener.

Most reactions

Back