Fin Rot or Nipper?

Abstractxverses

Reaction score
So to begin with, I'd like to state I've been treating a tank for ick with paragaurd and aquarium salt, and the treatment was almost finished, my German Ram had a few spots left but otherwise seemed perfectly healthy last night. This morning I turned the lights on and fed them , but he didn't come out. Then after a little searching I see him near the bottom of the tank and his whole fin is missing, it looks like a clean cut. I can't think of any fish who would do that to him, but I feel like I would have noticed fin Rot before this happened, there were no splits in his fin or any ragged edges last night.

He is housed with:
A 1inch sized green severum, a blue flame dwarf gourami, a 2 inch sized pearl gourami, a small panda Cory, a mystery snail,a 1 inch sized rosey barb, and a golden Chinese algea eater. They have all lived peacefully in the same tank for a month (when I added him) and there are no changes to the tank. Water has a pH of 7.4, amonia is .25, nitrite is 0, nitrate is 0 temp is 76f.

Attachments

• IMG_20200608_131444218.jpg
    IMG_20200608_131444218.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 73
Size of the tank? Seems like you have too much fish for it. I would give away the severum before it get too big and aggreassive, same with the chinese algae eater as they get huge, need a group I believe and tend to suck on fish's slime coat which is deadly if the fish gets sick afterwards.
As for the ICK, I wouldn't recommend using aquarium salt (useless) or any man made medicine, just increase aearation and temperature to 82 degrees farenheit (28 celsius) for two weeks or more if needed.
For ICH, @Colin_T will be more able to help here.
I believe this is severe finrot, caused by poor water quality where bacteria and other microorganisms are found in water column and then start to damage fish's fins and eat away. A natural medicine for treating fin rot are daily 75% water changes for two week, make sure the water is dechlorinated before putting it back to the tank and vacuum your substrate.
For fin rot, its all possible and the ram could have been attacked by the severum, where 75% daily water changes are sufficient to prevent further fin damage.
For stocking, give away the chinese algae eater and the severum like I said at the start. Get sand for the cory and get 5 more of them as they are shoaling fish, same with the barb. Any possibilty on getting live plants as they are far more beneficial?
For water quality, 0.25ppm ammonia is not yet lethal to fish, but it will be increasing to the point where it will be lethal, then it will converted to nitrites which are also lethal to fish, where nitrites will be converted to nitrates which are less toxic to fish but 20ppm and over will be toxic to fish.
I would do daily 75% water changes until ammonia and nitrite levels are on 0ppm for 7 continous days.
On cycling your tank with fish in it, @Colin_T will be able to help much more than I can.

Oh! And where are my manners? :hi: to the forum!

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

I would suspect fish aggression before fin rot from what you have told us. The Severum and the Chinese Algae Eater are possible culprits. You haven't given the tank size (both volume and dimensions are helpful) but re-homing the Severum is advisable, and getting rid of the CAE is very much recommended. As it matures this fish can be a real terror.

Barbs are shoaling fish meaning they must have a group. Isolated, such fish usually beecome aggressive, so that is a possibility, but perhaps less than the two above. Still it is something you need to correct ASAP as the longer the fish goes without a group of its own the more it is affected.

Living together peacefully for a month is not indicative of things being OK. This may be the start of various fish being settled enough to start behaving as nature intended.

Size of the tank? Seems like you have too much fish for it. I would give away the severum before it get too big and aggreassive, same with the chinese algae eater as they get huge, need a group I believe and tend to suck on fish's slime coat which is deadly if the fish gets sick afterwards.
As for the ICK, I wouldn't recommend using aquarium salt (useless) or any man made medicine, just increase aearation and temperature to 82 degrees farenheit (28 celsius) for two weeks or more if needed.
For ICH, @Colin_T will be more able to help here.
I believe this is severe finrot, caused by poor water quality where bacteria and other microorganisms are found in water column and then start to damage fish's fins and eat away. A natural medicine for treating fin rot are daily 75% water changes for two week, make sure the water is dechlorinated before putting it back to the tank and vacuum your substrate.
For fin rot, its all possible and the ram could have been attacked by the severum, where 75% daily water changes are sufficient to prevent further fin damage.
For stocking, give away the chinese algae eater and the severum like I said at the start. Get sand for the cory and get 5 more of them as they are shoaling fish, same with the barb. Any possibilty on getting live plants as they are far more beneficial?
For water quality, 0.25ppm ammonia is not yet lethal to fish, but it will be increasing to the point where it will be lethal, then it will converted to nitrites which are also lethal to fish, where nitrites will be converted to nitrates which are less toxic to fish but 20ppm and over will be toxic to fish.
I would do daily 75% water changes until ammonia and nitrite levels are on 0ppm for 7 continous days.
On cycling your tank with fish in it, @Colin_T will be able to help much more than I can.

Oh! And where are my manners? :hi: to the forum!
It is a 30 gallon tank. I have 4 live plants, money wort, hyacinth, and 2 anubius. I'm also running a 75 gallon biowheel filter and a 25 gallon sponge filter. I do have sand and not gravel. My water automatically comes out at 7.4 pH and .25 amonia... If that helps. And I have moved my ram to a separate tank to heal

It is a 30 gallon tank. I have 4 live plants, money wort, hyacinth, and 2 anubius. I'm also running a 75 gallon biowheel filter and a 25 gallon sponge filter. I do have sand and not gravel. My water automatically comes out at 7.4 pH and .25 amonia... If that helps. And I have moved my ram to a separate tank to heal
A 30 gallon is much too small for all of these fish I'm afraid

So 6 fish is too much for a 30 gallon?
Well... you have to look at the needs of the fish.

For example, Green Severum’s can get up to 8 inches long. Cory cats also need to be in groups of 6 or more.

Edit: I didn’t mention, that with Cory cats, you need to have a soft substrate. (Sand)

Make sure to check if the sand is soft, as some sand can be very coarse.

Last edited:
I agree with PK and corylover. It depends on the fish, certain fish get to be different sizes and some have different requirements. Some have aggression issues

I agree with PK and corylover. It depends on the fish, certain fish get to be different sizes and some have different requirements. Some have aggression issues
FYI the severum will be going into a 75g arowana tank. He's here till he gets a little bigger. I plan on getting 2 more Cory's but wanted to be sure my tank was clear of ick. The sand is the finest granule you can get. Also the severum I have is quite docile and gets on well with my gouramis. I've actually had more issues with the rosey barb who was a rescue from another tank, as I don't want to buy more and plan on letting him go when I'm sure he's healthy

FYI the severum will be going into a 75g arowana tank. He's here till he gets a little bigger. I plan on getting 2 more Cory's but wanted to be sure my tank was clear of ick. The sand is the finest granule you can get. Also the severum I have is quite docile and gets on well with my gouramis. I've actually had more issues with the rosey barb who was a rescue from another tank, as I don't want to buy more and plan on letting him go when I'm sure he's healthy
The you would have 3 cories where you need to have six or more and in that tank size you can put in 8-9 cories as they are shoaling species of fish.
Is the severum is "docile" now to other fish, it does not mean it'll be "docile" long term. Cichlids are cichlids, they'll always be that aggressive.

As I stated the severum is going in a tank with an arowana.I only asked about an opinion on one fish if it was fin Rot or nippers. Im perfectly capable of stocking my tank, I've been a hobbyist for 15 years and never experienced any issues before, with any of my selections. Thanks for your opinions on everything else BUT what I asked for, but NO THANKS.
I don't need help with my nitrogen cycle (something one person went into great detail about)
I don't need help with the ick (as I said I had that cleared up)
I don't need your advice on how many of each fish I need (this is a quarintine tank)
I don't need advice on getting rid of a fish because it gets big (I bought a fish that will do well with an arowana as I said several.times it will be going in a large tank with other large an aggressive fish)

The only thing I asked was if that looked like fin Rot or if it was nipped BECAUSE I suspected the aggressor.was the barb who came out of a tank from someone else.

Now my apologies for sounding like a B, but the point is I asked one question, and got lectures on everything else but what I asked

Most reactions

Back