Fin Rot and White Growth. Please help!

Emma25

Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon fish tank with some bronze and red venezuelan cory catfish and a male betta. The betta has fin rot and one of my bronze now has a raised white bump on both sides of it's dorsal fin. I just noticed this so I think it's fairly recent.

Parameters:
7 pH
0 ppm ammonia
0 nitrites
0 nitrates

I've seen some posts about using methylene blue for fin rot and fungal infections and I want to know if thats how I can treat both of them. I did a 20% change today and a 35% yesterday.

C6C61ABA-E5C9-476E-87D2-FF0BE21A7BAF.jpeg

Hello I had similar issues recently, mine was definitely due to poor water conditions (my mum was in hospital) and I used Interpet anti fungus and fin rot. This worked really well. I don’t know a huge amount about the different medications but I do know that you need to be really careful with some medications and Betta because of their labyrinth.

Is it safe for scaleless fish like cory catfish? As well as snails. And can I find it at a local fish store or a petco/petsmart?
Hello I had similar issues recently, mine was definitely due to poor water conditions (my mum was in hospital) and I used Interpet anti fungus and fin rot. This worked really well. I don’t know a huge amount about the different medications but I do know that you need to be really careful with some medications and Betta because of their labyrinth.

It’s readily available in my lfs in the Uk, I don’t know about in the States…

I’ve just tries to Google and ‘Pet Forums Community’ someone says it’s safe for Corys and shrimp, but to use it at half strength for Bettas…I didn’t know that ☹️.

Other sites are saying remove the shrimp for up to 7 days after the treatment. And the advert on Amazon says not for scaleless fish…🤷‍♀️

I think I might have been lucky with my use of it and would suggest waiting for some more qualified advice.

It’s readily available in my lfs in the Uk, I don’t know about in the States…

I’ve just tries to Google and ‘Pet Forums Community’ someone says it’s safe for Corys and shrimp, but to use it at half strength for Bettas…I didn’t know that ☹️.

Other sites are saying remove the shrimp for up to 7 days after the treatment. And the advert on Amazon says not for scaleless fish…🤷‍♀️

I think I might have been lucky with my use of it and would suggest waiting for some more qualified advice.
Okay thank you so much

My Cory has just developed a white patch I noticed today.

Is this the same thing?

Attachments

• 20220306_135357.jpg
    20220306_135357.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 20220306_140905.jpg
    20220306_140905.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
My Cory has just developed a white patch I noticed today.

Is this the same thing?
I think so. I went to my local fish store and asked about it. One of the workers said it's either bacterial or fungal and said NeoPlex works really well.

Issues in the tank are either brought on by new fish or poor water conditions. I suggest doing frequent water changes especially when there are problems like these with fish in the tank. Personally, I’d stay away from adding chemicals (medicine) into the tank.

Issues in the tank are either brought on by new fish or poor water conditions. I suggest doing frequent water changes especially when there are problems like these with fish in the tank. Personally, I’d stay away from adding chemicals (medicine) into the tank.
Definitely avoid any chemicals or medicine unless you're 100% sure of what the issue is. It stresses the fish, and like with any other animal, you don't want to just throw in medications unless you're sure what you're attacking. Water changes will make a big difference, keep going for up to 50% daily. Your water parameters seem perfect, did anything else change or was added recently?

Sometimes these are just war wounds and heal on their own, don't panic. Regular water changes and monitor.

Definitely avoid any chemicals or medicine unless you're 100% sure of what the issue is. It stresses the fish, and like with any other animal, you don't want to just throw in medications unless you're sure what you're attacking. Water changes will make a big difference, keep going for up to 50% daily. Your water parameters seem perfect, did anything else change or was added recently?
No nothing was added recently. I did start using NeoPlex a week ago and the white spot started to disappear and is almost completely gone now.

Most reactions

Back