Filter

Juice

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
OK my 15g has an aqua clear mini. The filter just seels a little too small. I want something bigger, but cheap, any suggestions/links?

that's a tiny filter to have on that size tank. I use an Aquaclear 70 on my 10 gallon.

Yeah I know but aquaclear is expensive, i think i paid 30 something for it, my cousin recently got one for his 5 gal (the filter was rated 10 gal) for 15 dollars. His works WAY better then my aquaclear did when in the same 5 gal. Garbage just floats by the aquaclear's intake, while his filter is vaccuming it in from accross the other side of the tank.

I'm gona find out what filter he got and maybe pick up a 20 gal rated one lets see how much that will cost. I want to use the aqua clear for a hospital tank.

Yeah, but I found AquaClear to be nice. I have a Mini which ran on a 2.5G tank with a single goldfish in it. It always seemed to do a good job. It had a plastic cover that went over the whole filter box which could get to vibrating sometimes but you could usually play with it and get it to stop.

Colin_T, would an AquaClear 70 be the right size for his 15? Is there one just above that in size?

~~waterdrop~~

Yeah I know but aquaclear is expensive, i think i paid 30 something for it, ...
Wow. After looking up online prices, I see they have gone up quite a bit since I bought mine 2 years ago. The AquaClear 30/150 go for $28.49. On a positive note, I've been running the same one (50/200) for 17 years - so you get some serious life out of them and get your monies worth.

His works WAY better then my aquaclear did when in the same 5 gal. Garbage just floats by the aquaclear's intake, while his filter is vaccuming it in from accross the other side of the tank.
I've never had any problems like that before. :dunno: The good thing with hardware is that you usually have more than one option to fit your needs. :cool:

For waterdrop
the Aquaclear 70 would be fine for the 15gallon tank. I think they do an Aquaclear 50 that would probably be ok as well. I got the 70 because it only cost a few dollars more and had filter sponges about twice the size of the 50. I run 3 sponges in it and that gives it a huge filter area. Keeps the water spotless too.

Like Gazoo says they last for years. I had my old one for about 20 years before it packed up. But it was my fault it died. I had it running on an above ground pond and too much water eveaporated out of the pond. The pump was running fine with the low water level but when we had a power failure it couldn't suck the water up to get going and it over heated and burnt out. It actually happened a number of times but I guess it just got too much for the pump. I murdered my filter :(

The pump was running fine with the low water level but when we had a power failure it couldn't suck the water up to get going and it over heated and burnt out.
Yeah, I've been there. :D A few times when coming home from work I've heard that sloshing/gurgling sound :crazy: coming from the filter trying to prime itself. Since that has happened a few times, I'm trying to remember to keep the water level high enough so that doesn't happen when I'm away.

edit: spelling

Yeah also when ever I unplug the filter, the pump locks up, and I have to use a chopstick to get the pump to spin. It also takes forever to prime. Like 10 minutes its like globble grrr blooop

My cousins eleite. Filled it with water, plug in, 10 seconds it's already pushing water! Grr aquaclear. Maybe mine is broken. Do they come with warrantys, mine is about 5 years old I think.

you need to fill the aquaclear with water before you restart it, especially if the water level is low. If the water level is lower than the motor then quite often it will not be able to suck the water up and get going. Then they burn out

Aquaclears have a 2 year warranty.

You can get a complete set of replacement parts for them. Normally they only need replacing when they don't work at all. Make sure you clean the motor out each time you do filter maintenance.

If well maintained they should last for years.

you need to fill the aquaclear with water before you restart it,
[...]

I agree. Regardless of any manufacturer's promise of automatic priming, it is such a good habit to always add as much water as possible to any filter or water pump device prior to powering it. It's just a habit every aquarist should have.

[...]Make sure you clean the motor out each time you do filter maintenance.[...]

Colin, maybe you should detail this for Juice and others. Do the impeller and shaft come out? I can't remember (and the Mini might be different.)

~~waterdrop~~

id go for an eheim internal, wicked little filters :) just not too sure how much you'd have to pay for one over there, here there only about £15 ($30).

Colin, maybe you should detail this for Juice and others. Do the impeller and shaft come out? I can't remember (and the Mini might be different.)
~~waterdrop~~
The Aquaclear external or HOB (Hang On Back) filters can all come apart. Turn the pump off, lift the intake pippe up and out of the filter. Pour the water from the filter back into the tank or a clean fish bucket. Put the filter materials in the tank or fish bucket with some tank water. Clean them if you need to, but use tank water for cleaning.
Rinse the filter casing and plastic cage or dividers out under the tap and put them somewhere safe.
The motors get turned anti-clockwise for half a turn (180degrees) and then can be pulled downwards and off the filter casing. In the new model filters (30,50,70, etc) the impellor simply pulls out of the motor. The older models (610 and the like) have a plastic cover that needs to be turned and lifted off before the impellor can be removed. The impellor shaft stays put in all models and does not come out.
Once the impellor is out give it a wash under the tap and rinse out the inside of the motor. (The electronic components in the motor are sealed in a resin preventing water getting onto the circutiry and shorting things out). Use a cotton bud (cue tip for US residents) to wipe around the impellor shaft and then rinse again.
Replace the impellor and top cover for older models. Wipe a thin layer of Vaseline (petroleum jelly) or vegetable oil around the O-ring on the outside of the motor. Push motor up into the filter case and turn clockwise while pushing in. The motor only needs to be turned until it lines up with the side of the casing and locks in.
Put plastic cage or dividers into the filter. Put cleaned filter materials in filter cage compartments. Hang filter on tank. Fill with tank water. Put intake pipe back in and turn the filter on. Put the cover on the filter.
It's one of the easiest filter to work on and everything comes apart without any hassel. Many internal power filters can be difficult to seperate the motors from the casings. And some are even more difficult when it comes to getting the motors apart to clean the impellor. EHeims are nice to work on but others like Weipro are shockers.

Most reactions

Back