Is this filter's intake too large for a shrimp tank?

OK, so here's an update...

I looked at the Aqueon site and noticed that all the larger versions of this filter can have the "guts" removed from the outer "casing". So I looked at mine, and saw the same opening that the instructions referred to in the larger ones that help separate the two parts.

First thing I saw was my missing salmon-colored shrimp I liked so much :-( Then I learned that the impeller is NOT in the open behind the outer intake slots. It is in its own protective cage, if you will. Sooooo, knowing that, I started thinking about other possible ways to shrimp-proof it on the cheap.

Long story short, the filter is now running in Plant Test Tank #1 on a... well... TEST basis.

Basically, I bought a small $3 fish net and cut the mesh off. I had to use two zip-ties connected together to be able to wrap around the net, trying to keep the material tight against the outside of the filter.

I also removed the hangers and instead put all the suction cups on, and the top 2 are resting on the glass. Looks silly but for now it allows me to easily mess with things.

I think that I may have had the unit sitting too low the first time I tested it, which could be one reason why the water seemed to be backing up, and shrimp were swimming inside. ALSO, this new netting has far larger openings, but still smaller than a baby shrimp. So water flow into the unit should be better.

I have photos of the experiment but they are still in the camera. I'll upload soon, if only for the record.

Water flow still seems rather weak, but it is rated for a 3 gallon tank, and this one is slightly less than that.

Most reactions

Back