Filter that removes nitrate

Not sure if the OP really found what they were looking for…
This seems to be what it sounded like @gwand … was looking for… a couple things I don’t see is how many GPH, and how much water it will filter ( it just says change the filters annually )

And this statement may cause issues with anything copper sensitive???

the highest quality copper-zinc kdf and granulated coconut carbon filtering. Bacteria cannot grow in the carbon because of copper-zinc.

The nitrate filter I bought will filter up to 5 gallons per minute without losing effectiveness, so they say. It’s unclear what the capacity is for nitrate removal but they estimated with the nitrate concentration of 30 ppm and using 20 gallons per week, I may get a year of function. They recommended I placed two units in tandem. However, at $199 per unit, I bought one as a test. We shall see.

Pringles can coil denitrator. Get about 50 feet of standard airline tubing. Drill a hole near the bottom and in the lid about the size of the airline. Run enough thru the bottom hole to reach up to the tank from where you place it. Coil the rest up inside the can leaving enough to come out the top back up to the tank. I like to put one end into one of my HOB filters behind the filter cartridge if possible so it's pulling mechanically filtered water into the tubing. Suck on the other end for a minute to start a flow. Place the return line over the edge of the aquarium so it drips/runs really slowly into the aquarium. There's usually just enough drop in elevation from the HOB to the tank level that you'll get a really slow flow. Over a period of time, bacteria develop in the front part of the tubing removing ammonia, nitrite and oxygen. Then the anaerobic ones start to grow and remove the nitrate. Anything produced you don't want gases out as it drips into the top of the aquarium where the HOB is also churning the flow to further disperse everything.

If the flow is a bit too fast for you you can always tie a knot in the line to slow it more or use a cloths pin.

Cost is as close to nothing as you can reasonably get. You get a new toy to play with/get your science nerd on with and you get to enjoy eating a can of Pringles. If you like the thrill, larger tanks can have similar setups with larger tubing sizes all the way up to garden pond type setups.

The bad part is a couple companies lose the ability to shill you for continual purchases of alternative products. Your thriftiness hurts their bottom line.

Someone on the forum (@AbbeysDad I think) used a pozzani? filter to remove nitrates. You can also use floating plants to suck the nutrients out of the water and even terrestrial plants that have their roots in the water will remove nitrates.
I used a now discontinued API Tap Water Filter filled with API Nitra-Zorb. I set it up to trickle well water through to use for water changes. It was very efficient and I could recharge the media by soaking in salt water. The resin lasted forever as it was not contaminated by dirty water!!! 😊

Most reactions

Back