Filter Clean

andyg81

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hi all,

ive had my fluval 305 up and running for around 4 weeks, my question is how often and how much of a clean should I give the filter ?

was thinking that after 4 weeks its probably got a fair amount of poop in it that will need removing.

now need to find the instructions out as to how i do it, never had to disconnect it yet !

Hi Andy..i have the Fluval 205 in my tank, the cleaning and taking apart of all the '05' series are exactly the same (the only difference in the filters is their size).. the dvd that comes with the filter is good, but everything you need to know about taking it apart and cleaning it is here---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0hCmCsKgz8

What i do is a monthly "deep clean" of my tank (as well as my weekly water changes), during this time EVERYTHING except my substrate and fish is removed from the tank and cleaned.. this gives me the opportunity to switch off my Fluval and give all my media a quick rinse in old tank water, replacing the top layer of filter floss if need be. You should only be thinking about changing any media if it is literally falling apart in your hands, but a loss of flow is usually a good indicator that your filter needs a little clean, otherwise leave it be to do it's job :good:

Terry.

brilliant, thanks for that

i do have the dvd somewhere, just got to find it, never watched it as the guy i got it from showed me how to set it up but ive forgotten what he said for cleaning it / stopping it pumping etc.

will dig the dvd out and watch it.

brilliant, thanks for that

i do have the dvd somewhere, just got to find it, never watched it as the guy i got it from showed me how to set it up but ive forgotten what he said for cleaning it / stopping it pumping etc.

will dig the dvd out and watch it.

In all honesty that youtube clip up there is the best... i found the official dvd a little 'lacklusture'...i turned it off as soon as they told me to change my sponges every month :hey:

Terry.

Good timing... I'm picking up a 2nd hand tank this week which comes with a fluval 205 so the YouTube clip will come in very handy!

Most reactions

Back