Festivum Aggression Question

I'm not sure what is considered normal levels of aggression when cichlids are asserting dominance but last night I saw them lock jaws twice. How long should this kind of behavior last before I should be worried?

I usually give it 2 weeks but if it looks bad split them asap. I waited too long once and thats how I lost my Nicaraguan...

The other thing to try is re aranging the decor it can break up territories old and new and can sometimes work to stop the aggression.

I really would get more decor and dither fish in there asap if you are having these issues.

Wills

OK, I'm going to order some of that manzanita wood as soon as I get paid, I have a few ceramic pots I can add until then and I'll rearrange the driftwood every few days. The smaller 2 festivum seem to like hiding in the bunch of hornwort I have floating in the tank right now.

As far as dither fish what would you recommend? I feel like the tank is pretty close to fully stocked. Right now we have 7 diamond tetra (we had 1 jumper), 8 sterbai cories, 1 clown pleco and the festivums. I also wanted to try to get the trio of Apistos but I'm not sure if I still have room or not.

Thanks again for all your help, I'll keep updating this thread as things progress.

No problem :) The Diamonds will be a great dither fish for them - Get the school upto 12-14 and you should be fine at that. So that would make your stocking

4 Festivum
12 Diamond Tetras
8 Sterabai Cories
1 Clown Plec

I think you could get away with a trio of Apistos in there as well. I think maybe A.Hongsloi would be good as they are quite large as adults and the colours will fit nice :)

Wills

Most reactions

Back