Fertile Cory Eggs!

He's one of the worlds foremost authorities on all things corydoras.

There's a link somewhere to an interview with him on a us radio channel. The programme was 'sounds fishy to me' if I remember correctly. It was very interesting!

This morning I accidentally let a baby go. I was cleaning their box out and one side of it went underwater without me noticing :( I'm gutted! I hope it's too big to be eaten! I'm most worried about the plec. Can't imagine he'd just let the cory snuffle past him. There are loads of plants and hides holes though if it managed to get to the bottom.

oh no! Hopefully it will have the sense to find cover and stay hidden. I had two panda cories raise themselves in my tank and one appeared to have done that inside the hole where my BN lives. Male BN's raise their young and I couldn't help wondering if that instinct had kicked in in mine and he'd guarded the baby

An update on mine whilst I'm here.

The 5 are doing well, one is bigger than the other four so that one must be greedier! The lone egg is looking good too, it's darkening and should probably hatch today or tomorrow :)

Ooo good! Glad to hear yours are doing well. Hope the egg hatches!

Well I've spotted the baby. It's at the opposite end of the tank to the plec. It has plenty of cover where it is and it's the quietest part of the tank. I think the kuhlis are the only ones who venture there really. I put some microworms in the main tank this morning and it seems to have found plenty as it has a great big white tummy! It's snuffling around quite happily. It's very well camouflaged against the black sand, it's the same colour. I'll try and get a photo.

Flubberlump said:
This morning I accidentally let a baby go. I was cleaning their box out and one side of it went underwater without me noticing
sad.png
I'm gutted! I hope it's too big to be eaten! I'm most worried about the plec. Can't imagine he'd just let the cory snuffle past him. There are loads of plants and hides holes though if it managed to get to the bottom.

How many weeks old is that fry?

Flubberlump said:
About 2 1/2 weeks eagles.

Roughly 10 days early on the release... but you can be good that you gave the little one a solid head start.   You'll likely see it pop out in a week or so with the adult cories...

I hope you're right! For now it's found probably the best spot in the tank to take up residence. The other fish can't actually get to it at all, other than the kuhlis but they'd have to have a good dig under the slate to get to it.

image.jpeg

I doubt you can make him/her out here because it's so well camouflaged, but the white spot in the middle is his stomach. You can see what I mean about finding plenty of food!

if he/she stays under there they should be fine :)

How are yours getting on Akasha? My escapee baby was still in his corner around midnight. He darts off when I go near the tank which is good for now.

well I still had 5 when I cleaned them out last night! They're getting wise to me now though and start darting about when I lift out their moss. They know that the turkey baster is coming to suck them up! It won't be long now though before they'll be too big for the turkey baster and so they'll have to take their chances in the tank. They will be two weeks old tomorrow so I'll give them another week and then I might let them go in the fry tank. 

The single egg that I collected was odd. It darkened so far then stopped. Then I found it had burst open but there was no fry in the pot. Very odd

updated photo of mine - not much change really

003_zpssouebq3g.jpg

They're fast though so they must be strong. 

I got up to another clutch of eggs on the glass and one on a leaf. There's about 20 again - here we go again!

Most reactions

Back