External Filter With Saltwater

jaylam

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have a Ehiem pro 3 running on my saltwater tank. The filter has 3 types of media in it which are:

Media 1
Media 2
Media 3

Now I just read an internet article that external filters with media are bad for saltwater aquariums and can increase Nitrates. Anyone have an opinion on this?

I don't have a Nitrate problem but obviously if I can get them lower I will do so and if removing these media trays and just filling the canister with lr will drop it slightly then its got to be worth it.

Jay

i ran a external for a year with lr in for half a year and filter media 6 months before that and aslong as you clean the filter media weekly then the nitrates wont rise and will be befeficial like in fresh water but if you dont want to clean the filter weekly go lr rubble i did and was so much easier with similar results

hope that helps :good:

i ran a external for a year with lr in for half a year and filter media 6 months before that and aslong as you clean the filter media weekly then the nitrates wont rise and will be befeficial like in fresh water but if you dont want to clean the filter weekly go lr rubble i did and was so much easier with similar results

hope that helps :good:

Perfect thanks.

I will be honest I didn't realise in a saltwater system you must clean the media weekly. I will swap it out this weekend and replace the 3 trays with lr rubble. :good:

There are lots of opinion on this however, i have run my external filter so far successfully with 5ppm nitrates or less since, i suppose this all depends on the water changes etc but i believe the argument is they hold onto detritus which decays into nitrates although i suppose it would be there regardless of the filter, in my filter i have bio balls, soon to be replaced for lr rubble, ceramic rings and activated caron, all three compartments have fine grade wool type filter. i clean mine once a month at most and am sure it has not affected my water quality

I must add though i too run a sump with cheeto, a skimmer thats over rated for my tank and lots of lr. so lots of things together could be the reason i have ok water quality, others im sure will be able to help more but thats just my experience.

Hope it helps

Most reactions

Back