Exciting Times - Planning new tanks & new fish .... YAY

Just LOOK at these little ones!!
I'd like to be able to observe this kind of behaviour, and how they act when breeding.

If you like blues, look at A. borellii. The males are blue, though as with just about all apistos females are yellow. Or if you don't mind what may or may not be a borellii, look at the one traded as A. borellii sp Opal.
Oohh, they're gorgeous too! See? So many options to check out, source and choose from! These are definitely going on the list of possible ones! I like yellow too, and both the male and female are lovely!

Oh, also for the harder water tank, @MattW3344 you keep sawbwas, don't you? Have also had those on the want list for a long time, that sparkling blue is very appealing! Especially in a heavily planted tank. And this tank, they're also with kubatoi, another species I like a lot and have on the want list.

Oh, also for the harder water tank, @MattW3344 you keep sawbwas, don't you? Have also had those on the want list for a long time, that sparkling blue is very appealing! Especially in a heavily planted tank. And this tank, they're also with kubatoi, another species I like a lot and have on the want list.
They're a great little fish. I have them in both my 60L and 90L at the moment. I haven't kept many species of fish but I fell in love with these instantly. They were a little tricky to understand at first with their behaviors. At one point I had 5 males to 2 females which quickly became 3 males to 1 female within 2 weeks. This species, especially females are very difficult to find in my local market. I had to get some juveniles from Tropco in Kent. Luckily I got 3 females with 1 surviving in the end which became part of a breeding pair that gave me 22 fry. I am planning on ricefish for my 60L so the adult sawbwa in there will be added to the 90L soon.

I also found big inspiration from Marita Kivioja. She's a Finnish aquascaper with some of the most beautiful tanks I've ever seen. Her old scape for her sawbwa group was one of the main reasons I chose to keep this fish.

*edit - I must have deleted a bit of this post by mistake oops 🫢 I was also going to mention about keeping these in an all male group if you can't get females. I found the best ratio was 1 male to 3 females when I had a large group and saw less sparring.

Last edited:
Tomorrow is the local fish club bring and buy sale, including plants, equipment, shrimp, fish etc, so depending on what's for sale at what price, and how strong I can stand against temptation, the tank plans might have changed utterly, or be more set in stone anyway!

If there are some nice juvenile plecs of an appealing species for a good price to raise together, for example, it might be a good chance to grab a bargain, and would mean sticking with the 240L tank for now, I think.

Shrimp definitely on the possible list, plants main thing I want.

But we shall see! Depends who turns up on the day to sell what... I'll only take on something I know I can manage, and will have QT running ready to go, just in case. :D

I'm really excited! Still got a lot of prepping to do, have to make sure I have fish-bags, declorinator, money etc all packed and ready to go, get through some more chores etc so I can be ready to go without upsetting Pixie too much. Bro will dog-sit, but she's not used to me going out much, and has some separation anxiety now. So prepping things like kongs and a licky mat for her, in case she gets upset. So won't be around much until later tomorrow. Wish me luck!

In my earlier years in the hobby I was restricted in terms of tank sizes. I did a number of smaller tanks. Some of my favorites were filled with smaller rainbows. One tank at the foiot of my bed helf a group of threadfin rainbows. The males are actively displayers. i would wake up every morning to a tank of what i can only describe as aquatic butterflies.

I also had tanks with some of the blue-eyed Pseudimugils. They too like to display. The tanks were also planted. The nive part of it all was these tanks were pretty easy tt care for and a lot of fun to watch.

I did keep a few A. australe orange for a while. Nice fish but I liked the tiny bows more. Don't rule them out too quickly.

In my earlier years in the hobby I was restricted in terms of tank sizes. I did a number of smaller tanks. Some of my favorites were filled with smaller rainbows. One tank at the foiot of my bed helf a group of threadfin rainbows. The males are actively displayers. i would wake up every morning to a tank of what i can only describe as aquatic butterflies.

I also had tanks with some of the blue-eyed Pseudimugils. They too like to display. The tanks were also planted. The nive part of it all was these tanks were pretty easy tt care for and a lot of fun to watch.

I do love the way they display! And I only had three, can't wait to see how they act with much more appropriate group sizes!

Have been fascinated by the pairing and courtship displays from the few apistogramma species I've watched videos on now... seem really fun to watch, and again, it's behaviour that's new to me, not the typical community tank fish I've kept so far.
I did keep a few A. australe orange for a while. Nice fish but I liked the tiny bows more. Don't rule them out too quickly.

Definitely haven't ruled out killies!! Nothing (except red-tailed catfish, common plecos etc!) has been ruled out :D

With killies, since they jump so much and so easily/well, was wondering whether they'd thrive in a somehow contained paladarium(?!?) sort of set up, with a lower water level rather than filled to the brim, and perhaps live insects they can catch above and on the surface?

I don't know enough about them yet to know how to keep them well, or the things to avoid with them, you know? I absolutely love the looks of many of them, but they seem to vary a lot in behaviour and needs to? So I need to learn a lot more, and haven't seen any killies advertised as being brought to the sale, sadly.

Some stocking we won't know until the day of. I know there's going to be a pleco breeder, a fancy guppy breeder, and some specific things advertised like neocaridinas, blue Japanese Swordtail Endlers etc, possibly some pygmy cories - but otherwise, there could be surprises! Just depends on who shows up and with what! :D

I already have two L181 plecs, bought in 2020 with the hope I might wind up with a M/F pair, but wound up both being females (were also sold as L183's, which is why I named them Ziggy and Stardust! So their names didn't make sense when they matured into the colours for L181 Peppermint plecs, but oh well, names have stuck now).

I know their breeder on FB, I could buy a mature male for £70 but that was beyond my budget at the time. Could have straight swapped a female for a male, but I'm attached to my two girls now, know their favourite foods and hiding places etc, so I didn't want to let one go.

Might be tempted by a group of L181 juveniles I could raise myself up came up for a reasonable price, I might do that, since odds of getting at least one male would be high.

But I'm also not stuck on L181's, if another really appeals and doesn't turn monster sized! Or again, might stick with trying to breed Pseudos, otos, or apistos or something first! Or while plecs are slowly maturing. I just have a lot of options, interest in a lot of different species, and limited opportunities to find other local hobbyists that breed! :D

apistogramma species I've watched videos on now... seem really fun to watch, and again, it's behaviour that's new to me, not the typical community tank fish I've kept so far.
I have only tried macmasterei. they went in a community but they didn't like the cories so they are in their own tank now. Maybe my mistake was getting a male and female?

With killies, since they jump so much and so easily/well, was wondering whether they'd thrive in a somehow contained paladarium(?!?) sort of set up, with a lower water level rather than filled to the brim, and perhaps live insects they can catch above and on the surface?
That sounds really really cool! I don't know how high they jump - I have clown Killies (these need soft water BTW) but the tank has a lid. I love their enthusiasm for live foods and they are pretty :wub:

I have only tried macmasterei. they went in a community but they didn't like the cories so they are in their own tank now. Maybe my mistake was getting a male and female?

Oh I wouldn't know hon,, sorry! I only wouldn't put them with cories, 'cos they're territorial, and I haven't yet come across a cory species that seems to even grasp the concept of respecting territory, bless em, so I can imagine cories getting beaten up and not learning, and perhaps stressing both groups?

But again, never kept any of those kinds of fish myself! You'd know more, and you'd need someone like @GaryE if you're looking to breed them or if you're concerned it's a male/female that didn't pair, or need different introduction, or what! :D

I just want to get into trying to keep and breed fish that are new to me, and I'm back to square one with learning about all their different requirements, which ones I might be able to keep together, or might need separate tanks to breed/spawn/raise fry.

I just know I don't want to do livebearers anymore at this point, I don't have the space, tank numbers, or have to be constantly searching for homes since I know that while I love guppies, they'd have me overrun within six months!

But the options for fish species I've never kept before, there's so many options!
That sounds really really cool! I don't know how high they jump - I have clown Killies (these need soft water BTW) but the tank has a lid. I love their enthusiasm for live foods and they are pretty :wub:

They're lovely! I really like the Golden Wonder ones too... would def need to be one of the smaller tanks with a tight lid if I do go for a killie of some kind, but the big tank might be open top, or at least have gaps for emersed plants that are too large to be safe for killie's, so this is another reason I made the thread! The large tank will limit open my options if I decide I want to try, say, botiid loaches like Zebras or yoyos - but then that would severely limit what else I could keep with them.

It wouuld also ideally be better for me, water wise, if the larger tank is hard - medium water. I do collect rainwater, so could soften it somewhat, but especially if I do use some of the smaller tanks for soft water species like my pygmy cories, otos, and/or killies, then the larger one makes sense to be harder water, and potentially large groups of things like pseudomugil species, since they are okay with harder water, and I can save my soft water for the fish that really need it, and more manageable to keep those smaller tanks soft at this point. :)

Have the roughly 22 US gallon half filled and testing a heater in it now, with lines drawn on so I can check the water level stays steady, the heater is working etc. Have also cleaned out the 12.5g QT tank, so I can have a second if need be!

My fish equipment cupboards and storage boxes need a good sort out and declutter!! I have air pumps, some work, some just seemed to stop and I haven't binned in case I can fix them. I have spare heaters and filters - pretty sure one of the heaters I'm testing is one that was in dad's tank and stopped working but I didn't bin for some reason, so while it lights up, testing it in tapwater now to see if it has any effect, so I can bin or label it spare depending on if it works or not.

That's not counting things like decor, sand, hardscape, plastic plants for QT, spare suction cups, meds, ferts, test kits etc...
This hobby comes with a lot of random accessories. I had no idea I had so much airline piping.

I blew up my first air pump because I hadn't thought of the reverse syphon action when you turn it off without a £2 plastic dohickey from the store, so didn't have a water return valve on there :blush:

Others just seem to give up the ghost and stop working, that's the only one I've popped like that, promise!! It was dramatic and pretty frightening at the time, haha

if you're looking to breed them or if you're concerned it's a male/female that didn't pair, or need different introduction, or what!
No, I don't expect breeding in a community, especially with the water on the hard side of soft. I just think the female was more territorial and less tolerant of the cories because she was with a male and they go through the motions.
t wouuld also ideally be better for me, water wise, if the larger tank is hard - medium water. I do collect rainwater, so could soften it somewhat, but especially if I do use some of the smaller tanks for soft water species like my pygmy cories, otos, and/or killies, then the larger one makes sense to be harder water, and potentially large groups of things like pseudomugil species, since they are okay with harder water, and I can save my soft water for the fish that really need it, and more manageable to keep those smaller tanks soft at this point. :)
Sounds great! Thoughtful planning like this makes things manageable and sustainable as well as enjoyable. Still loving the idea of a half-filled medium tank with micro-predators like killies as well.
My fish equipment cupboards and storage boxes need a good sort out and declutter!!
Mine too :rolleyes: It's hard to decide what can be thrown out though...let me know how you get on, I could do with the inspiration ;)

Fish club auctions are good, but you tend to find the easier to breed species. Around here, that means Cichlids. The small, bread and butter tetras are never in our auctions unless someone gets bored with them. Lots of livebearers and rainbows, and the odd oddity.
Buckets of shrimp around here too.

Apisto borelli is a treat because it's southern, which means temperate. They can thrive at 20-ish, and don't need soft water. I used to breed all I wanted at 140ppm, pH 7.4, at 22c.

I would love to know what Bristol fishkeepers sell.

Don't be disappointed if it's mbuna heavy - they are so easy to breed and over-run you. Guppies and mutts sold as endlers were also common in Montreal.

Oh I wouldn't know hon,, sorry! I only wouldn't put them with cories, 'cos they're territorial, and I haven't yet come across a cory species that seems to even grasp the concept of respecting territory, bless em, so I can imagine cories getting beaten up and not learning, and perhaps stressing both groups?

But again, never kept any of those kinds of fish myself! You'd know more, and you'd need someone like @GaryE if you're looking to breed them or if you're concerned it's a male/female that didn't pair, or need different introduction, or what! :D

I just want to get into trying to keep and breed fish that are new to me, and I'm back to square one with learning about all their different requirements, which ones I might be able to keep together, or might need separate tanks to breed/spawn/raise fry.

I just know I don't want to do livebearers anymore at this point, I don't have the space, tank numbers, or have to be constantly searching for homes since I know that while I love guppies, they'd have me overrun within six months!

But the options for fish species I've never kept before, there's so many options!

They're lovely! I really like the Golden Wonder ones too... would def need to be one of the smaller tanks with a tight lid if I do go for a killie of some kind, but the big tank might be open top, or at least have gaps for emersed plants that are too large to be safe for killie's, so this is another reason I made the thread! The large tank will limit open my options if I decide I want to try, say, botiid loaches like Zebras or yoyos - but then that would severely limit what else I could keep with them.

It wouuld also ideally be better for me, water wise, if the larger tank is hard - medium water. I do collect rainwater, so could soften it somewhat, but especially if I do use some of the smaller tanks for soft water species like my pygmy cories, otos, and/or killies, then the larger one makes sense to be harder water, and potentially large groups of things like pseudomugil species, since they are okay with harder water, and I can save my soft water for the fish that really need it, and more manageable to keep those smaller tanks soft at this point. :)

Have the roughly 22 US gallon half filled and testing a heater in it now, with lines drawn on so I can check the water level stays steady, the heater is working etc. Have also cleaned out the 12.5g QT tank, so I can have a second if need be!

My fish equipment cupboards and storage boxes need a good sort out and declutter!! I have air pumps, some work, some just seemed to stop and I haven't binned in case I can fix them. I have spare heaters and filters - pretty sure one of the heaters I'm testing is one that was in dad's tank and stopped working but I didn't bin for some reason, so while it lights up, testing it in tapwater now to see if it has any effect, so I can bin or label it spare depending on if it works or not.

That's not counting things like decor, sand, hardscape, plastic plants for QT, spare suction cups, meds, ferts, test kits etc...
This hobby comes with a lot of random accessories. I had no idea I had so much airline piping.
You’ll be back on here asking about a fish you’ve never heard of that you’ve snapped up today. We all know it!

You’ll be back on here asking about a fish you’ve never heard of that you’ve snapped up today. We all know it!

I was given a big hoplo at the end, no one knew the exact species! But I know places/people who can definitely identify it when I get some clear photos of it!

Got six tiny pygmy cories as planned - six for £15 is much cheaper than store prices, locally bred, and fresh blood for my pygmy cory colony. The hoplo should be happy with my mixed cory gang, but once identified, might be able to get him/her some friends!

My wishlist was pygmy cories, and live plants. I did resist getting any guppies or other livebearers!

But also bought a fish I'd never planned to... had kinda sworn off them

I bought a betta :blush: He's a pretty boy though! The sellers were lovely.

I'll do a full list of what I've got and try to get some photos today, but gonna get them all settled in QT tanks first. They're temp acclimating right now. It's warm here, and they've been in bags for hours so want to get them out fairly quick, and plop and drop them into clean fresh water :D

Also made me more determined to set up all of my tanks again! Gonna need to eventually! Fortunately all except the random gifted hoplo (the sellers were lovely!) are juveniles, so I have time. But I'm already dreaming about how the tanks are going to look once all set up and properly established!!!

It was brilliant. Met lots of local hobbyists. Most said they broke even, since they bought as much as they sold, haha! I get it though, I'm sure that's common. So happy I went and didn't chicken out. Had a great time! Brother dog-sat Pixie for me, and I called to check on them about halfway through, she knew I was getting ready to go out somewhere (the downside of a very smart dog!) but I set bro up with everything needed to keep her occupied, and he said she was a bit anxious and restless at first, but then settled with him.

Then she went absolutely crazy with joy when I came in! Wiggling everywhere, tail going like a windmill, jumping all over me. Someone had also bought their six month old Cocker Spaniel pup that was there the whole time and the sweetest little thing! Still in that phase where they love strangers and want to be friends with everyone, but could also go under the table and nap for a bit when it got too much for him, bless him. Then others coming to the pub rather than the fish event while we were there, but meeting friends and bringing their dogs. So Pixie can smell the other dogs on me I'm sure. She's very happy I'm home!

Okay - QT tanks:

15 L Ciano cube has been set up for the first time, for the blue dream shrimp I got.
12.5g - Blue male betta with white edges to his fins has this to himself for now :D
22g- Unknown species hoplo, looked a little pale at first, but is exploring and colouring up nicely now.
Also has a snowball bristlenose plec - tiny baby juvenile £10
two long fin green dragon plecos - still tiny juveniles, but friend who organises the events reckons it's a M/F. The two were £17
Also two (?) reticulated hillstream loaches.

Gave me a scare when I was unbagging them, thought one was DOA 😭 He just floated out of the bag and sunk to the bottom upside down, landing right side up, but didn't move. Eyesight not good enough to tell if breathing, so left him in there just in case. About an hour later, he's still sluggish, but is actually suctioned to the glass. I assume they wouldn't suction anymore if they'd died??

Never had them before either. Hope he was just stressed, or I caught it in time and he's reviving now in clean water.

Looking to set up a dual airpump, all of my airpumps are a tangled mess, so need to spend some time de-tangling! And find out which ones work. Have mini filters for the betta and shrimp tank, and a canister filter that I've swapped some of the media with my identical canister filter on the 57g. Heaters in all but the shrimp tank... struggling to find a spare heater that works, but I'm sure I have one somewhere!

Also have a working lightbar, a Nicrew that would work on the 22g, but can't find the plug end! It's in there somewhere.

This has made me determined to sort out my fish equipment! It used to be so organised, labelled and everything. But getting there!

Untied the Gordian Knot of airpumps and airline tubing etc - that wasn't fun!

But I did find the plug for my Nicrew light! That's something.

Have three mini filters/sponge filters that I want to run for the betta and shrimp tanks that are next to each other. First try is a brand new mini sponge filter for shrimp. Used new airline tubing and new water return valve. First air pump I've tried is an Eheim 200. Hums nicely when I turn it on, can feel a little bit of air output from both openings since it's a dual pump. Tried it on the tiny brand new sponge filter for shrimp, but nothing is coming through, both outputs turned to full.

Has been the same story with all of my airpumps. I seem to be airpump cursed.

Friend just said that the rubber diaphram inside can start to get brittle and get tears and stuff, so wonder if that's it. I've only had the eheim, nicrew, and all ponds solutions airpumps, so not super expensive, worked well for a year or two, then air pressure just seems to fade out, so this is sounding like it might be what's happening with mine.

Worse news, think I'm managed to let myself run out of declorinator! Not a problem tonight and will get some tomorrow, but can't believe I let myself run out of such a basic essential! I thought I still had a big tub that I transfer to a smaller bottle, but when bottle ran low I went to get more and realised I'd run out last time I topped up the smaller bottle. Filling three tanks plus topping up the other tanks meant I got through a lot.

Most reactions

Back