Dying Betta

No I have not. All of my fish are compatible with each other. I have done extensive research and there are others that have kept bettas with livebearers, neon tetras, and plecos. Like I mentioned before, my betta was raised in my water (as were most of my fish because I breed them) and he didn't have any issues prior to the ick. I'm pretty sure the ick was caused because I hadn't been keeping up with water changes.
Same I have a betta with tetras, platys and angel fish. He seems to be doing well had him for about 6 month. I did have a fish die of dropsy once it was very hard to watch as it happened to fast. Hope your little guy makes it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 64
Same I have a betta with tetras, platys and angel fish. He seems to be doing well had him for about 6 month. I did have a fish die of dropsy once it was very hard to watch as it happened to fast. Hope your little guy makes it.
Once when in Colómbia, I went to a home of one of my clients, who had a small garden pool filled with many male and female bettas, that were all getting along just fine. That was a big surprise, because I was used to having bettas in the US, all in separate or divided tanks. The one time I added a female and tried breeding, it didn’t work out so well, so I separated them.

While I’ve kept bettas in community tanks, they are food hogs, can be aggressive, and don’t interact as harmoniously as the other fish. Currently I have a mix of community fish in a 32 gallon tank, with cherry, blue, glass, and one bamboo shrimp, with no betta. I moved the one that had been there to a much smaller tank, because it was bothering some of the smaller fish, and had tried to eat one of the cherry shrimp. It sure looks more content, is very healthy, and it’s easy to control the amount of food it gets.

That may seem counter intuitive from a human perspective, thinking that a fish would like to have the biggest tank possible, but in my experience bettas do much better in small individual tanks.

Thank you, he didn't make it unfortunately.:( You're betta is beautiful! I definitely think it's possible to keep them with other fish. Mine was happy that way.

Once when in Colómbia, I went to a home of one of my clients, who had a small garden pool filled with many male and female bettas, that were all getting along just fine. That was a big surprise, because I was used to having bettas in the US, all in separate or divided tanks. The one time I added a female and tried breeding, it didn’t work out so well, so I separated them.
I was really surprised when my male betta completely ignored the addition of the female bettas. He came up to them once or twice but there was no aggression or anything worrisome.

I had a Betta die of dropsy once. It was terrible and I cried. I had just moved back from college and brought the fish with me. I think the combination of driving for so long and then the different water I had to put in the tank is what did him in. When I first noticed the swelling, I thought it was a digestion problem. By the time I realized it was dropsy, he was all but dead, so I euthanized him after doing extensive research (and I mean I read as many sites and posts as I could find, including fish medical posts). This thread (besides the drama) has been very helpful for me if that sort of thing happens again.

I had a Betta die of dropsy once. It was terrible and I cried. I had just moved back from college and brought the fish with me. I think the combination of driving for so long and then the different water I had to put in the tank is what did him in. When I first noticed the swelling, I thought it was a digestion problem. By the time I realized it was dropsy, he was all but dead, so I euthanized him after doing extensive research (and I mean I read as many sites and posts as I could find, including fish medical posts). This thread (besides the drama) has been very helpful for me if that sort of thing happens again.
I know, leave out the drama lol. Some people have very strong opinions:)
I think the new water from when I moved weakened all of my fish and then they were susceptible to ick and possibly a secondary infection (as in the case of the betta and a guppy). Glad that this helped you out!

Hi guys,

So, over the past week, my betta has been acting a little funny. He has been staying at the bottom of the tank and not interacting with the other fish. The past couple of days he stopped eating and now he looks very bloated. I did treat him for ick a couple of weeks ago by increasing the temperature to 86 F. Not sure if the prolonged high temperature affected him?

View attachment 137706View attachment 137707
Just had the same problem he is constipated get some frozen peas icolate him dont feed for three days then give him the inside of the frozen pea just one of them. I heat it up a little or leave in the fridge to thaw. After that he should be good looks like he could use a good poppfyi they get easily constipated with flakes. And pellets I put them in a cup and let them get soft before feeding them to him

I'm not sure what you mean. I have had the female bettas for three weeks because I was trying to breed them. I have a LFS that gives me store credit if I bring them fish.
Bettas can live in water that is harder, especially if they are raised in your tank water. The ph level they can go up to is 7.4.
AND, female bettas can live with a male betta, as long as you have multiple females.
I have had fish for nine years and have had my tank set up this way for three years and my fish are typically extremely healthy.

While I’ve kept bettas in community tanks, they are food hogs, can be aggressive, and don’t interact as harmoniously as the other fish. Currently I have a mix of community fish in a 32 gallon tank, with cherry, blue, glass, and one bamboo shrimp, with no betta. I moved the one that had been there to a much smaller tank, because it was bothering some of the smaller fish, and had tried to eat one of the cherry shrimp. It sure looks more content, is very healthy, and it’s easy to control the amount of food it gets.

That may seem counter intuitive from a human perspective, thinking that a fish would like to have the biggest tank possible, but in my experience bettas do much better in small individual tanks.
I think it’s how Society makes us believe they are aggressive and keeping they confined in those tiny bowls I think is cruel. Mine was a little aggressive when I introduced him to the other fish but as time went on they swim together fine. His not bothered by the other fish at all. In fact the angel fish are more aggressive but only to each other. I would never put him in a tank alone.

Hey there, just wanted to check in, if you still have this problem, how recently did you get the fish? Bettas are more sensitive to big ph + temperature changes, with such a sudden temperature change, its a little stressful for a Betta, Bettas usually prefer a 6.5-7.5 PH, so a 7.2 is a little high, but what i am really worried about is the temperature, Bettas are supposed to be in a 74-79, and a 86 is a bit high for Bettas, so they are stressed from that i think, but instead of immediately turning down the temperature, slowly turn it down, so the Betta doesn't get more stressed getting used to another temperature

Just had the same problem he is constipated get some frozen peas icolate him dont feed for three days then give him the inside of the frozen pea just one of them. I heat it up a little or leave in the fridge to thaw. After that he should be good looks like he could use a good poppfyi they get easily constipated with flakes. And pellets I put them in a cup and let them get soft before feeding them to him
It was dropsy this time and he didn't survive. Thanks for the info though!

I think it’s how Society makes us believe they are aggressive and keeping they confined in those tiny bowls I think is cruel. Mine was a little aggressive when I introduced him to the other fish but as time went on they swim together fine. His not bothered by the other fish at all. In fact the angel fish are more aggressive but only to each other. I would never put him in a tank alone.
Yes, I agree. I know that there are some particularly aggressive bettas out there and those should be housed alone but (at least in my experience) there are peaceful bettas that can live with other fish.

Hey there, just wanted to check in, if you still have this problem, how recently did you get the fish? Bettas are more sensitive to big ph + temperature changes, with such a sudden temperature change, its a little stressful for a Betta, Bettas usually prefer a 6.5-7.5 PH, so a 7.2 is a little high, but what i am really worried about is the temperature, Bettas are supposed to be in a 74-79, and a 86 is a bit high for Bettas, so they are stressed from that i think, but instead of immediately turning down the temperature, slowly turn it down, so the Betta doesn't get more stressed getting used to another temperature
Hello, unfortunately the betta didn't make it. I had the betta for 8 months. The temperature was at 86 only to treat the ick, which took about two weeks. The dropsy happened after I brought the temp down. The usual tank temp is 80-82.

Yes, I have two female bettas.

I have two baby plecos. They were sold to me as BR plecos, but they are common plecos. Right now they are barely three inches, but as they get bigger, I'm going to rehome them.

I don't have another tank to move him into but I'll definitely do the salt baths.
I'm a bit late to the conversation. You stated in another post that you don't have another tank to put your Betta in. I thought that was fish tank 101, to have a isolation tank.? I have 1 male Beta in a 5 gal tank and I have a 2.5 gal for if a reason arises that I need to remove him from his main home. For just occasions like this. Your Betta buddy might just need a little alone time. Fish have personalities too. Anyway, I hope your Betta is doing better.

Most reactions

Back