Dwarf gourami disease DGD what can you do!!!

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.
DGD is a terrible thing with DG. However, the onset of any disease, including DGD, are often triggered by stress.

Unfortunately at the stage your fish is in, if it is DGD, your time frame is simply a matter of days or weeks.

Two males sharing a tank is a stress, and a weaker fish will succomb to this, whether they fight visibly or not--the stress is there even without apparent aggression.

And before you take a snap at me next, i am experienced with DG as i keep and breed them.

Agree to disagree. It was a male and a female they built a bubble nest together laid eggs and my Rams ate them all. you are the only one that provided me with information that I asked for about a time frame. I was thinking about setting up a secondary tank just to give him some peace because I put him back in the main tank he will get sucked into the intake valves again. People just like to talk to hear themselves talk all the time. And I've always kept multiple dwarf gouramis together with no issues. Agree to disagree on that. Thank you for the input on the life expectancy.

IME, Dwarf Gourami’s (DG) are very susceptible to diseases. It could possibly be genetic. That is why most DG’s you buy at large retail pet stores die soon after.
Yes the genetics often suck, which is why they are susceptible, but it's a viral disease, not a genetic one

A scientific article regarding the disease for you. Maybe something in it can help? There could be answers there.

Not only DG affected.

Mass breeding of DG and weak genetic diversity has weakened the dwarf gourami and made them more prone to various ailments, which people all use DGD as an umbrella term. Unfortunately unless you have access to a microscope and biopsies... you really cant pinpoint exactly whats going on with the fish.

IME, Dwarf Gourami’s (DG) are very susceptible to diseases. It could possibly be genetic. That is why most DG’s you buy at large retail pet stores die soon after.
Yes that's what I've been saying poor water quality can bring it out sooner but almost 25% of all dwarf gouramis will get it regardless of water parameters.

Yes the genetics often suck, which is why they are susceptible, but it's a viral disease, not a genetic one
I disagree again. Just like on my mothers side of the family. They are very susceptible to diseases. (That is genetics, not viral) :)

Yes but it's due to their weakened immune system and the disease will kill them and there is no cure for it. So yes it's a virus that would normally not kill the fish but due to genetic disorders it is now a death sentence.

Yes that's what I've been saying poor water quality can bring it out sooner but almost 25% of all dwarf gouramis will get it regardless of water parameters.
I totally agree. I had a perfect tank setup for a couple of DG’s a few years back. I’m talking perfect. Brand new tank, perfect water parameters, not a spot of algae, etc.

3 days later, 1 was dead and 2 were sick. 1 week later, the remaining 2 died.

I think it would be good to do a second tank for the weak one, place him in it with a very gentle sponge filter.

Keep water super clean and feed him good foods. He may bounce back, but at the very least will make him more comfortable.

You can seed a sponge filter using a bit of filter media from your main tank. Place it inside the strainer of the sponge filter, so you dont lose the cycle.

Transfer half the water in the new tank from the old tank.

I disagree again. Just like on my mothers side of the family. They are very susceptible to diseases. (That is genetics, not viral) :)
Yes, the genetics weaken the immune system, making you susceptible... but, if you have sucky genetics and get the flu, you dont say you got a genetic disease, you say you got the flu and your genetics made it worse

Yes, the genetics weaken the immune system, making you susceptible... but, if you have sucky genetics and get the flu, you dont say you got a genetic disease, you say you got the flu and your genetics made it worse
In this case, the genetics of a DG is a death sentence! I don’t think you really grasp the whole message here. :look:

In this case, the genetics of a DG is a death sentence! I don’t think you really grasp the whole message here. :look:
Yes I get that, just saying that it is a viral disease :)

I think it would be good to do a second tank for the weak one, place him in it with a very gentle sponge filter.

Keep water super clean and feed him good foods. He may bouncs back, but at the very least will make him more comfortable
No there is no bouncing back from DGD unfortunately it is a death sentence. Just like HIV was in the 80s no treatment no cure just death. I have been lucky I have never actually experienced this firsthand. This is my first experience in four decades being involved in the hobby. It sucks he never grow from the first day I got him

I just wanted to know life expectancy so I cold setup a new tank because he will continue to get sucked into the intake tubes and if there is anything I can give him to make him suffer less other than stress coat and some salt in the isolation tank right now. Wow I don't understand why this turned into what it turned into. Yes I know people don't read before they want to type lol. True but said.

No there is no bouncing back from DGD unfortunately it is a death sentence. Just like HIV was in the 80s no treatment no cure just death. I have been lucky I have never actually experienced this firsthand. This is my first experience in four decades being involved in the hobby. It sucks he never grow from the first day I got him
Yeah chances are he wont make it. But weirder things can happen. But it cant hurt to at least try to give him a chance. Theres no cure, thats true. But sometimes with incurable diseases there are remissions.

Thats why im thinking the spare tank for him should have a sponge filter, so no intake for him to get stuck into and its gentle enough where he doesnt have to fight a current

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back