Dwarf gourami disease DGD what can you do!!!

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it would be good to do a second tank for the weak one, place him in it with a very gentle sponge filter.

Keep water super clean and feed him good foods. He may bounce back, but at the very least will make him more comfortable.

You can seed a sponge filter using a bit of filter media from your main tank. Place it inside the strainer of the sponge filter, so you dont lose the cycle.

Transfer half the water in the new tank from the old tank.

I do appreciate some of your suggestions but you think he can bounce back then I guess you don't really understand DGD. You claim to be an expert on dwarf gouramis telling me that both are males lol. when I already told you they built a nest together with bubbles and laid eggs and my German Rams ate the eggs.

There is nothing I can do other than make this fish camo a peaceful place to die. Even if I put him back in the main tank none of my fish will pick on him but he will continue to be sucked into the intake valves because he's a very weak swimmer now. Thank you for the suggestions I just want to make this fish comfortable. My father would have just flush him down the toilet lol back in the 1970 when I first got involved in the hobby with him.

I gave you a suggestion to make the remaining days of his life easier. Up to you to take it, but there really isn't much left for you to do aside from that.

Don't be so snappy to people actually trying to help you.

I agree.

There is no way they are both males, if they made a bubble nest together and laid eggs.

I do also agree that there is no recovery from DGD.

And @JuiceBox52, this is not a viral disease. This is 100% genetics.

I gave you a suggestion to make the remaining days of his life easier. Up to you to take it, but there really isn't much left for you to do aside from that.

I think @Tony blazer is just getting annoyed. He just wants to know the life expectancy of his Dwarf Gourami’s.

Which was answered. Then he asked what to do to make him more comfortable, which was answered and then snapped back at.

I agree.

There is no way they are both males, if they made a bubble nest together and laid eggs.

I do also agree that there is no recovery from DGD.

And @JuiceBox52, this is not a viral disease. This is 100% genetics.
This is from the link tony gave me
20200425_143602.jpg

I think @Tony blazer is just getting annoyed. He just wants to know the life expectancy of his Dwarf Gourami’s.
There is no real information out there which I stated in my opening thread. The only thing I do know once they get this death is guaranteed. How long does he have to live Clueless he's been like this for months but it's getting worse and worse. this is the second time in less than a week and a half he got sucked into the intake valve. The first time was like a 6 weeks ago.

Attachments

• IMG_20200425_173456450_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200425_173456450_HDR.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 65
“More recently vets have identified a virus called the Dwarf gourami Iridovirus (DGIV) that seems to be causing real problems on East-Asian fish farms. One widely-quoted estimate suggests 22% of specimens shipped out of Singapore carry the virus — and, given the virus seems to be invariably fatal and so far untreatable, that’s a scary statistic!”

I don’t see why this is a big deal... It is “technically” a virus.

(https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/lets-hear-it-for-the-dwarf-gourami/)

This is from the link tony gave me View attachment 102308
In the last few weeks I read a lot on DGD the information is sketchy with some inconsistencies. You shouldn't rely on other people's research when you going to State it as fact you should do your own research. I was getting frustrated and that's why I made this thread because the information on the Internet is limited about this genetic disorder/virus with dwarf gouramis

There is no real information out there which I stated in my opening thread. The only thing I do know once they get this death is guaranteed. How long does he have to live Clueless he's been like this for months but it's getting worse and worse. this is the second time in less than a week and a half he got sucked into the intake valve. The first time was like a 6 weeks ago.
I really can’t give you any information. I’m just trying to back you up. ;)

Tony, we can't see the fish, just a photo. Can you describe all the symptoms displayed by the fish. Just by looking at the photo, it is hard to see what symptoms the fish has.
1. Lost his powder blue color
2. Poor appetite.
3. Poor swimmer (not swim bladder disease) just a weak swimmer will get sucked into the intake valve if to close.

Sorry that they got out of hand but some of your members SMH.

Both of those fish are male. The healthy and the sick one. Female powder blue dwarf gourami do NOT have tbe red on the edge of the fins like your healthy one has.

And the fins are chewed up and eaten. This is a case of a fish being attacked.

This is a female dwarf gourami. Theyre plain and silver, though a powder blue female exists as blue... they will not have any red on their fins at all.
View attachment 102299
Just curious is your fish common dwarf gourami yes or no. Do you know there's four or five variants of dwarf gouramis all from the common dwarf gourami. Yes we know females are less colorful than males but in the different variants the only real way to tell male female is by the dorsal fin and if they mate. Common dwarf gouramis are easy to tell through color shades but not the various color variations of dwarf gouramis like powder blue red flame ect. I just wanted to point it out to you. You can clearly see in the picture of the healthy one it is a female the roundness of the dorsal fin (slope) compared to the sick one that has a point at its end. FYI

Sorry, i refuse to answer anything else here. Any input is thrown out the window since you quite obviously know better ;)

I am not snappy I'm just direct and will point and call out BS when I see it. I wrote a whole big introduction explaining what my issue was and who I was ie my experience level in The hobby. I asked for specific things for help and I got this whole thing about water quality aggressiveness of tank mates ECT ECT ECT. I can see how new people to the hobby can get frustrated with a lot of people in the hobby. they don't want to listen they just want to talk. Sorry it just me being me

Sorry, i refuse to answer anything else here. Any input is thrown out the window since you quite obviously know better ;)

The answer is you have a common dwarf gourami picture. Did you even know there's multiple variants of dwarf gouramis and with those variance you cannot tell by color markings it's only about fins. I do listen to a vice and appreciate it what is relevant to the question. Good day sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back